Sponsored by:

PS2 vs Conti's....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 SLS AMG
PS2 vs Conti's....

Strange as it may seem, I went from the stock Conti 2's to PS2's in 255/40/18 and 275/35/18 and while the performance is slightly better, the ride is WORSE. Even the wife (who has recently discovered the joy of driving the AMG) noted that it's rougher. Anybody else notice this? I opted for the PS2's cause I thought they would be quieter and more comfortable. Anyone think the cooler weather has anything to do with it? Hardening of the compound? Thoughts? Tire pressures are 40psi all around.....
Old 12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
TP at 40 cold?
That's a pretty hard tire when it's warm, probably 43, 44 in the winter.

Does the E really call for 40 lbs?
Old 12-06-2007, 01:17 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Depends on vehicle load. Conti's called for that pressure.... Maybe I'll try backing down to 36 or so and see how it rides..... I'll try a few different pressures over the next few days.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Try 35. Think most guys are rolling around that.

I am more of a traction kinda guy and PS2 were night and day to Conti's. Not really sure on the ride/noise thing.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Cold temps. probably have something to do with it, summer tires get hard in cold temps, almost like plastic. Also, use the tire pressure suggested in the door jam NOT what it says on the tire.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Stiffer sidewall on the PS2's. Even with 35 lbs in each tire, the PS2 will always give you a stiffer ride. That's the tradeoff for better response.
Old 12-06-2007, 12:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by enzom
Stiffer sidewall on the PS2's. Even with 35 lbs in each tire, the PS2 will always give you a stiffer ride. That's the tradeoff for better response.
I have to disagree. His car is riding roughly because of tire pressures. Run exactly what the gas flap says and it will ride like a cloud.

The PS2 is an EXTREMELY soft tire. You can deform the side wall with your thumb when the tire is not mounted. Take a conti and try to "dent" the side wall of the tire at the tire shop -- you cant. Do the same with the Michelin and you will soon see that there is a spot in the side wall that is extremely soft and thin. This is why the tire has that "wiggle" and why the car tracks terribly under load in a high power car. The tire just wonders around. It also explains why the tire is known to have serious bubbling issues, allows for easily dented rims, has some problems with being hard to balance etc.

I used to swear by the tire but now that I have had 5 sets on different cars I truely do not like them any longer. There are better tires out there and they also cost less.

I just dented my RENNtech wheel on my SL55 on a pot hole that was not that large at all. I partially blame the michelin tires as I have hit that bump before in a different car with PS1's and nothing happened... just a thump thump as i went over it (with cast wheels not forged). The RENNtechs are 19 inch wheels with stock tire sizes so its not like I was running around on a rubber band tire etc -- those wheels are strong as heck too.

Last edited by CynCarvin32; 12-06-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I have to disagree. His car is riding roughly because of tire pressures. Run exactly what the gas flap says and it will ride like a cloud.

The PS2 is an EXTREMELY soft tire. You can deform the side wall with your thumb when the tire is not mounted. Take a conti and try to "dent" the side wall of the tire at the tire shop -- you cant. Do the same with the Michelin and you will soon see that there is a spot in the side wall that is extremely soft and thin. This is why the tire has that "wiggle" and why the car tracks terribly under load in a high power car. The tire just wonders around. It also explains why the tire is known to have serious bubbling issues, allows for easily dented rims, has some problems with being hard to balance etc.

I used to swear by the tire but now that I have had 5 sets on different cars I truely do not like them any longer. There are better tires out there and they also cost less.

I just dented my RENNtech wheel on my SL55 on a pot hole that was not that large at all. I partially blame the michelin tires as I have hit that bump before in a different car with PS1's and nothing happened... just a thump thump as i went over it (with cast wheels not forged). The RENNtechs are 19 inch wheels with stock tire sizes so its not like I was running around on a rubber band tire etc -- those wheels are strong as heck too.
Sorry about your wheel. And I agree his ride will improve lowering his PSI from 40.

But I noticed that my car ride was not nearly as smooth on my PS2's as it was on my Conti's. I felt expansion joints and rough pavement through the steering wheel. These were things I did not feel on the Contis.

I was running the same inflation pressures on both sets. If the sidewall isn't stiffer on the PS2 (and I haven't had the pleasure of fingering either tire in a flacid state. ), what do you suggest is making it ride rougher? Do you think I need to run lower pressures on the PS2's.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by enzom
Sorry about your wheel. And I agree his ride will improve lowering his PSI from 40.

But I noticed that my car ride was not nearly as smooth on my PS2's as it was on my Conti's. I felt expansion joints and rough pavement through the steering wheel. These were things I did not feel on the Contis.

I was running the same inflation pressures on both sets. If the sidewall isn't stiffer on the PS2 (and I haven't had the pleasure of fingering either tire in a flacid state. ), what do you suggest is making it ride rougher? Do you think I need to run lower pressures on the PS2's.
Im at a total loss for words honestly. If the pressures are the same for both tires my experience shows the PS2 should be extremely smooth. I loved the PS2 right when I got my first set on the E55. It just rode so well and had such a higher level of grip when compared to the Conti. As time went on I noticed the car wiggling around quite a bit and I even took the car in for broken toe links at one point because it wiggled so badly under full load upshifts.

I normally ran all 4 tires at 34 psi cold and tha was normally 38 when warm.

My S63 came with the conti tires instead of the Pirelli tires I was praying for. So I will maybe form a new opinion regarding the sportcontact 2 in the coming months.

As for my dented wheel a new one is on the way so life goes on. It happens but its just frustrating when people it that hole 1000 times a day and no one has an issue but me!
Old 12-06-2007, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63S coupe, X5M
I think it's the higher pressure. I got my PS2's on Monday, much better then my old Conti 2's. The Conti's were on 19"s, the PS2's are on 20"s; ride quality is the same, great grip and quiet

I'm running 35 rear 30 front.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:02 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
Well I will chime in and state i hate Conti no matter what version. I run Pilots on my Porsches and other cars, PSI is very important especially in NY where our roads stink. I run the PS2 on my 911 at 42 all around and its fine for me. The original Conti Sport was very rough and loud, the Conti 2 better and I tried the Extreme Contact 3 and I just didnt like them

My E63 has Contis and i think they are exagerating other issues I am having with the car
I am running cold PSI in NY of 29 F and 31 R for the Conti on the E63, the ride is fine but like i stated above my car has a plagued driveline vibration from the rear and these tires trasmit all of this into the cabin. I am certain PS2 will help my problem but as of now Im not going to change them at my expense.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'12 E350 Coupe (3rd Benz)
handling

whats better for performance, 35 or 40? 40, right?
Old 12-06-2007, 10:11 PM

2012 SLS AMG
Backed off the pressures all around to 35 psi. Car rides much better/smoother. Will keep playing with it. Thanks for the info. Will keep you posted on performance. Can't imagine that on the street 35 vs 40 would make a huge difference. We'll see....
Old 12-07-2007, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by intellilogic
whats better for performance, 35 or 40? 40, right?
for handling set your pressures to 38 front and 36 rear. This helps dial out understeer in the car.

To go a step further increase front negative camber, increase caster and decrease toe in at your next alignment.

It will change the car quite a bit.
Old 12-14-2007, 01:39 AM

2012 SLS AMG
Problems still.....

Damn PS2's... Still can't duplicate a good ride. Had the tires checked to make sure they were balanced and they are. Pressures are only doing so much. Anyone think i may have gotten bad tires from TIRERACK? Car still tracks true so I doubt there is a problem w/ the alignment. This is really annoying me (as you can tell). If this is truly the case, I discourage ANYONE who enjoys the smooth ride of the Conti's from switching to PS2's. POS.