Sponsored by:

Quaife install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
Originally Posted by Jrocket
Hey...you dont have time to be playing on these forums! Get back to that CLK55 and get it running!
The CLK55 Kompressor is alive but this week it's E55K time! Finally have things about right with the CLK. How about a horrible part throttle 2.1 60' 4.4 sec. 0-60 mph time (with a quaife and 2.82 ratio in there so not too far off topic). It doesn't have the torque management the E55K does so full boost (and torque) is always available and the resulting tire spin.
I've missed the beast for two weeks this time at the dealer (different one this time) and have 11 pages of warranty. Playing around and finally added the pedals to the E too, I've had the same ones on the CLK already for a while. Threw some wider CLS wheels on too.

Another quaife pic to stay on topic

Old 12-22-2007, 02:05 AM

2005 E55 drowned/ 2011 CTS-v coupe gone/ 2012 E63 PP,LSD finally here
Originally Posted by jangy
I will speak to VRP and see if what I am talking about is potentially true and what their schedule is like. Group Buy wise, I don't know what kind of profit is really in that, since the cat doing much of the work is pretty skilled. But, I don't know that they wouldn't be willing to hook us up out of pure customer service especially if we stagger the installs so that it doesn't screw up their work (I know Vadim is slammed). Worst case, I am sure I can dig around and find out who some good ones are and I'll be sure to look for East coast ones as well.
Thanks Jangy, you are a good dude, and one of the reasons this is the best AMG site on the net, always willing to help out a fellow member, if you talk to Vadium tell him I already have a Quaife and could have the rear out in a day and ready to ship, I owe you a round
Old 12-22-2007, 04:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cls 55 or FIAT Coupe T20v-6speed
Originally Posted by mbenzman
I love my Quaife Diff., it's very nice!
Here's what it looks like in it's home.
this is a C series differential, isn't it?

anything from a W211 ?
Old 12-22-2007, 10:24 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by dyno
this is a C series differential, isn't it?

anything from a W211 ?
It is from my CLK55. It is the same one as used in the w210 E55. A w211 diff doesn't look all that different after you take the cover off.
Since everyone loves eye candy, here's the 4th. differential (2.872, 3.46, 2.65 and finally 2.47 ratios in that order) I have built for my 500E and the way it will stay. A sharp eye would catch the 2.65 on the case, and the 2.47 on the gears, plus the fact it is a LSD. It has run the fastest on this setup.

Last edited by mbenzman; 12-22-2007 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-22-2007, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems we finally found the Diff Man !

yes, .. weren't for two more bolts ... quite no difference with mine

so, as you are so keen on differentials, what 12 bolts 3.06 ratio or near 2.90 FINAL GEAR is compatible with stock W211 diff. box ?In my opinion there are some possibilities for the S63 ...?!

PS:
are those LSD oemMB .. I see disks, not springs, yes?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 PM

All of them!
Seems we finally found the Diff Man !
I've played quite a bit, but can't just spit the numbers you seek off the top of my head nor am I with you on this change. I would advise you to just install the quaife differential and leave the gears alone until you decide not to modify the car with more power, at which point you can tune the car, if nec., for the intended purpose with the gears. A 2.90 would just make your traction problems worse, quaife or open differentials.
You told me (in P.M.'s) that you have mountains to climb, but your car can't lay down the power/torque it has already available, therefore a gear change in that direction would make matters worse for you, or the other 55K brethren.
You dream of a 7 speed tranny, I dream of a cv transmission or less shifts. You dream of a 2.90, I dream of maybe a 2.24 ratio for these Kompressors and may be what I drop into the CLK55.
At best a small gear change is worth .5 sec but in the direction opposite what you're thinking. A large gear change like a 3.46 can make a few tenth improvement but with very large penalties.
I can't even suggest a gear ratio change for even a stock E55 as I haven't logged or tested mine on the track yet. Even then the numbers would be different for a power modded car vs. a stock one. Gears just aren't the thing everyone makes them out to be and definitely the last thing you change unless the car is so wrongly geared in the first place, which these cars are not.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Benzman, our meaning of the word "track" is too different: for you it's a straight landscape.. and therefore you dream a CV trans.
For me is the opposite: now the choice is between too short or too long gear. Therefore want closer gears (shorter final drive) or .. more gears (change the car!). 6 would be a great number.
In your scenario, you don't need a LSD at all.. but simply a fully locked axle

.. you see that black thing close to quaife, to the right side
Old 12-22-2007, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

this application should be more beneficial for you:
- BRAKING TORQUE DIFF: it acts BEFORE slipping takes place, according to a pre-set

- the same effect but .. wilder, race only, by means of a drum&cams-locking system

ps: both are much more expensive than quaife
Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM

All of them!
Benzman, our meaning of the word "track" is too different: for you it's a straight landscape.. and therefore you dream a CV trans.
For me is the opposite: now the choice is between too short or too long gear. Therefore want closer gears (shorter final drive) or .. more gears (change the car!). 6 would be a great number.
In your scenario, you don't need a LSD at all.. but simply a fully locked axle

.. you see that black thing close to quaife, to the right side
You don't know what my definition of track is! You think you do, but its a curvy road and straights as well. I don't like locker diffs. I like the quaife diff (or torsen style) and My advice fits all. You just think you need gear change.
I've played all the gears routine, and there is feel and then reality. And just because I have a clutch style LSD in the 500E doesn't mean I like it. It's better than an open differential with traction control, and I want a quaife in it as well if they would make it.The LSD is better than nothing on corners but a quaife would be great.
This is Me in the silver CLK55 Cab.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...58583668199483 There are some straight sections in there.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Hey, What was this thread started about? It grew a mind of it's own Good stuff though....
Old 12-23-2007, 10:30 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by rarfinancial
Hey, What was this thread started about? It grew a mind of it's own Good stuff though....
Sorry, to hijack the thread, everyone thinks swapping gears on cars is going to give them a big edge or a major difference, It's not. Do not compare these to the 63's or any N/A car, the same info fits generally but they need more gear to get them into the power band and keep them there.
On the 55K cars, with massive torque, you can't put down the power, especially on corners, the quaife diff is unbelievable and will do better than any locker or clutch diff. can because it is what they refer to as "ATB" or automatic torque biasing. If you want to go around corners faster, install this diff, and the widest, largest, sticky tires on all 4 corners, turn the traction control off (esp off, which loosens the program but doesn't actually turn it completely off) and see how it feels then.
The esp torque management will never give you full power ESPECIALLY WHEN CORNERING, because it limits power when seeing the steering input. Any mods you do, differentials, wheels (offset & width), tires, sprint-boosters, larger throttle bodies and larger pulleys all for example, screw with this system's programming because it's not in it's base programming. Therefore you will have to turn the esp off to see it. It would be nice if we had a programmer to adjust the base map of the esp system. Until then after mods you have to turn the esp off to really feel them.
The quaife is the single best mod you can do and the first real performance mod I plan for the E55.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS63
Old 12-23-2007, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Sorry, to hijack the thread, everyone thinks swapping gears on cars is going to give them a big edge or a major difference, It's not. Do not compare these to the 63's or any N/A car, the same info fits generally but they need more gear to get them into the power band and keep them there.
On the 55K cars, with massive torque, you can't put down the power, especially on corners, the quaife diff is unbelievable and will do better than any locker or clutch diff. can because it is what they refer to as "ATB" or automatic torque biasing. If you want to go around corners faster, install this diff, and the widest, largest, sticky tires on all 4 corners, turn the traction control off (esp off, which loosens the program but doesn't actually turn it completely off) and see how it feels then.
The esp torque management will never give you full power ESPECIALLY WHEN CORNERING, because it limits power when seeing the steering input. Any mods you do, differentials, wheels (offset & width), tires, sprint-boosters, larger throttle bodies and larger pulleys all for example, screw with this system's programming because it's not in it's base programming. Therefore you will have to turn the esp off to see it. It would be nice if we had a programmer to adjust the base map of the esp system. Until then after mods you have to turn the esp off to really feel them.
The quaife is the single best mod you can do and the first real performance mod I plan for the E55.
I suggest you run in Dyno mode as this completely SHUTS off ABS, ESP, and all other electronic power cuts.
Old 12-23-2007, 02:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
So there is no point to go lower gear with highly moded E55 cause off line traction will be much worse and you would loose more ???

I was thinking 3.06 instead of 2.65...
Old 12-23-2007, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

.. if in my box there's enough room for a 3.06 ring, I'll tell you soon
Old 12-23-2007, 04:03 PM

this application should be more beneficial for you:
- BRAKING TORQUE DIFF: it acts BEFORE slipping takes place, according to a pre-set

- the same effect but .. wilder, race only, by means of a drum&cams-locking system

ps: both are much more expensive than quaife
That differential is an old school LSD, wet clutches and springs clamp the clutches together. Quiafe use gears, no clutches to wear out, a clutch type LSD will chatter when the differential fluid wears and needs rebuilding when worn.
Old 12-24-2007, 04:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C32AMG/02
That differential is an old school LSD, wet clutches and springs clamp the clutches together. Quiafe use gears, no clutches to wear out, a clutch type LSD will chatter when the differential fluid wears and needs rebuilding when worn.
I will mostly have a street use, therefore I go try Quaife.
On the contrary, Racers use the other style. Don't know why..

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all
Old 12-24-2007, 06:40 PM

I will mostly have a street use, therefore I go try Quaife.
On the contrary, Racers use the other style. Don't know why..

MERRY CHRISTMAS to all

A Clutch type LSD requires more maintenance, you made the right Choice, and In the long run Quaife is a better choice. One day I will visit Italy
Old 12-25-2007, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
.. if in my box there's enough room for a 3.06 ring, I'll tell you soon

Are you stock ???
Old 12-25-2007, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
Are you stock ???
these are last days celebrating her "good-bye celibacy"
Old 12-25-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by C32AMG/02
A Clutch type LSD requires more maintenance, you made the right Choice, and In the long run Quaife is a better choice. One day I will visit Italy
i have the same desire for US

but, if you 'll come and drive something with plate&numbers, remember that here all that Valentine, Leaser buzzers ... are quite useless to cope with our AUTOVELOX, whose majority are solidly positioned, hidden along roads: no wave emissions at all ... it simply make a quick fine pic of you when passing between its photo-cells ...
recently heard only of a company testing something able to localise them..
Old 12-25-2007, 08:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
i have the same desire for US

but, if you 'll come and drive something with plate&numbers, remember that here all that Valentine, Leaser buzzers ... are quite useless to cope with our AUTOVELOX, whose majority are solidly positioned, hidden along roads: no wave emissions at all ... it simply make a quick fine pic of you when passing between its photo-cells ...
recently heard only of a company testing something able to localise them..
But once a couple of people get tickets around the area these things are in, then their positions can be marked and avoided ............. at least until they change their positions.
Old 12-25-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MB_Forever
But once a couple of people get tickets around the area these things are in, then their positions can be marked and avoided ............. at least until they change their positions.
yes, TomTom do that way ..
... concenring "mobile ones" you need an on-line navigator connection

funny is that ... our multi Grand "Neue Tecknike
Generation" Command system is useless from this point of view and surpassed by a simple Tomtom
Old 02-25-2008, 05:00 PM

W124 E36T AMG; W124 500E
<SNIP>
Since everyone loves eye candy, here's the 4th. differential (2.872, 3.46, 2.65 and finally 2.47 ratios in that order) I have built for my 500E and the way it will stay. A sharp eye would catch the 2.65 on the case, and the 2.47 on the gears, plus the fact it is a LSD. It has run the fastest on this setup.
<SNIP>
Am I reading this correctly, that with a Quaife diff, the best ratio for a stock W124 500E is a 2.47 ?

If so, what vehicle was the donor 2.47 ?

:-) neil
Old 02-25-2008, 05:16 PM

2007 E63, Audi S4, 1965 Goat
Has anyone put a Quaife in a 63? If so what difference would be noticed?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Quaife install