W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ticketed for parking in a handicap space (advice needed)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 512 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Ticketed for parking in a handicap space (advice needed)

I admit I'm a louse but even I would not do this.

Actually, my son who is handicapped, got the ticket on his car. Apparently he did not have his handicap sign displayed in the window when he went into a store. When he came out, the ticket was on the windshield.

The fine was for $150.00. My son told me he was just going to pay it because when he went down to the police station to speak to the officer who wrote the ticket, he was informed that he needed to attend two separate court hearings and their was no guarantee that they would wave the fine.

My question is, if the car is in my name does this infraction go on my record if we just pay the fine? I'm not sure if I need to resolve this issue with a court appearance or just pay.......and be done with it.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:03 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
It's not a moving violation, just a parking ticket. You shouldn't worry about it.

As for your son, if he goes to court and presents his handicap pass they will waive the fine 99% of the time.
Old 12-22-2007, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Originally Posted by CWW
It's not a moving violation, just a parking ticket. You shouldn't worry about it.

As for your son, if he goes to court and presents his handicap pass they will waive the fine 99% of the time.
+1.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
+2

My friend (who is handicaped) got a ticket one time because she forgot to show the handicap pass on the window, and the judge waived the fine as well.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,064 Likes on 853 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Call the DA who would handle the case if he were to fight it and let him know what happend. I'd bet they will get rid of the ticket without all the added hassel.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E 55
Originally Posted by Rock
I admit I'm a louse but even I would not do this.

Actually, my son who is handicapped, got the ticket on his car. Apparently he did not have his handicap sign displayed in the window when he went into a store. When he came out, the ticket was on the windshield.

The fine was for $150.00. My son told me he was just going to pay it because when he went down to the police station to speak to the officer who wrote the ticket, he was informed that he needed to attend two separate court hearings and their was no guarantee that they would wave the fine.

My question is, if the car is in my name does this infraction go on my record if we just pay the fine? I'm not sure if I need to resolve this issue with a court appearance or just pay.......and be done with it.
Just set it for court and the judge will dismiss the case. Once your son tells the judge he forgot and shows him the valid sign the case will be over, especially during the holidays when they are generally more forgiving.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
better yet, dont waiste you time goin to court. you can do it threw the mail (at least here in cali) most dont know this but you can. if it were a speeding ticket goin threw the mail is best due to the officer havin to write a statement on his own time instead of his normal court time. theres more to it but this is just a parkin ticket, send in the info threw the mail and your done.
Old 12-22-2007, 07:30 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Rock: these are all good comments; just some additional thoughts, from one of the lawyers on this board:

I take the opportunity of getting my teenage kids into court whenever possible, b/c they come out scared straight, at least for a while. I.e. I think it would be helpful for your son to see the machinations, usually painful, of the judicial system, including the inefficiencies of same. Particularly: try to see if there are any DUI or other danger-type cases being heard that day, and see if you can get your son to hang out and watch. In other words, as inefficient as it might seem, it could be seen as an important learning opportunity.

And I agree with the others: if you/son brings in the Handicap pass to the hearing, the ticket will be dismissed. And your son might be wiser from the entire experience.

Thanks

Kris Keeney
Old 12-22-2007, 07:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Rock, I can only hope this is legit. If not, I'd have to say you deserve it. I hate people that park in handicap when they aren't.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:40 PM

2005 E55 - 2006 G55 - 1933 3 w coupe - 2007 Wrangler
Rock, if the car is registered to you, before the ticket is waived, doesn't someone have to show proof your son was the driver of the car?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:46 PM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Originally Posted by bincabo
Rock, if the car is registered to you, before the ticket is waived, doesn't someone have to show proof your son was the driver of the car?

I was thinking that as well. The pass better match with the license plate or you might have some trouble. Hey it's only money either way, no moving violations or insurance hickups.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:46 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by bincabo
His son's live testimony will accomplish that, when he shows up in court with the pass.

Judge will drop the fine. It also has no effect on your driving record, which was one of his concerns, because it's not a moving violation.
Old 12-22-2007, 09:10 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Just have your council take care of it. Easy as pie...
Old 12-23-2007, 12:39 AM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Guys, thank you for your responses. The plates are in my name but the handicap placard is not. The car is a 2003 Ford Focus that I've never driven but I see your point.

Kris, your expert advice is appreciated. I hope you and your daughter are spending less time in the hospital these days.

Jangy, your post is presumptive and out of line...............Nice!!!! haha
Old 12-23-2007, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
Rock: these are all good comments; just some additional thoughts, from one of the lawyers on this board:

I take the opportunity of getting my teenage kids into court whenever possible, b/c they come out scared straight, at least for a while. I.e. I think it would be helpful for your son to see the machinations, usually painful, of the judicial system, including the inefficiencies of same. Particularly: try to see if there are any DUI or other danger-type cases being heard that day, and see if you can get your son to hang out and watch. In other words, as inefficient as it might seem, it could be seen as an important learning opportunity.
I like this approach.Parents need to take more action with their kids to show them right from wrong in this world.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 S65, '04 Range Rover(The House), '06 Lexus GS 300(Wifey's), '02 Sea Ray 360 Sundancer
Originally Posted by jangy
Rock, I can only hope this is legit. If not, I'd have to say you deserve it. I hate people that park in handicap when they aren't.
Jangy, I heard that you hate it when handicapped people park in regular spots too! Is it true that you told a handicapped old lady to wait until a handicapped spot became available?
Old 12-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG
Jangy, I heard that you hate it when handicapped people park in regular spots too! Is it true that you told a handicapped old lady to wait until a handicapped spot became available?

Yes! I can confirm that. I saw Jangy roundhouse an old lady with MS for having her tire on the yellow line when parked next to him.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
I cant stand to see non-handicapped people parked in those spots. Ive voiced my opinion to them when given the chance too.
Old 12-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Jangy, your post is presumptive and out of line...............Nice!!!! haha
I just know you too well!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by ENDSMTG

LOL!!! It is clear you aren't from California. We don't run out of handicapped spots. It is actually law that each building have adequate spaces. it cost me almost $25 grand last year just to flatten out a parking lot that no handicap person had ever entered .

I know your just messing, but I do get pissed at able bodies taking those spots.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:11 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
Not directed at Rock or his Son in any way...

I think the handicapped permits are really being abused by quite a few people (at least here in FL). I see people all day long that have these tags hanging from the rearview mirrors park in these spaces, then walk without issue into stores, resturants etc with no difficulty or visual imparments. I even have some neighbors that have the permits and park in the reserved spaces for dinner etc and the next day they are playing golf, tennis etc etc...so shameful!
Old 12-24-2007, 11:15 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Here, too. It is pretty easy to qualify for one.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by RJC
I think the handicapped permits are really being abused by quite a few people (at least here in FL). I see people all day long that have these tags hanging from the rearview mirrors park in these spaces, then walk without issue into stores, resturants etc with no difficulty or visual imparments. I even have some neighbors that have the permits and park in the reserved spaces for dinner etc and the next day they are playing golf, tennis etc etc...so shameful!
I'll agree with you on this one.I have seen some people that were very capable of making it without the placard.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:20 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 186 Likes on 135 Posts
My Mom was wheelchair bound for the last decade of her life and we had a permit for her and rightfully so...but some of the abuse I've witnessed of this privelage really makes me sick and angry. If these folks don't change their ways soon they will be due some bad karma I'm afraid.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Originally Posted by RJC
My Mom was wheelchair bound for the last decade of her life and we had a permit for her and rightfully so...but some of the abuse I've witnessed of this privelage really makes me sick and angry. If these folks don't change their ways soon they will be due some bad karma I'm afraid.
Im probably out of line here,but Ive seen a few very over weight people pull up in the spot and throw the placard in their window.Maybe they have a legitimate reason,but over weight just doesnt strike me as needing one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Ticketed for parking in a handicap space (advice needed)