Sponsored by:

No loaner car!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2005 E55 Wagon, 2017 C63S Cab, 1986 560SL
No loaner car!

I just moved from Florida to Iowa. The closest dealer is in Iowa City. I called today, as my E55 needs Service D.

I was SHOCKED to find out they wouldn't give me a loaner car. This is a $93K car.

I could understand that if I hadn't moved here (although I still think it is stupid), but how was I supposed to have purchased it from them when I lived in Florida!

This isn't a Ford or Chevy. It is a Mercedes.

I bought my E55 in Virginia, while I was living in Florida. My Orlando dealer never had any problems with it and always gave me a loaner. They never even asked!

It sounds stupid, and I love my E55 wagon, but it may be time to leave Mercedes. I probably should own something 4WD anyway.

I probably won't, but I sure won't get any optional service done there. I'll find a local independent.

Such BAD thinking on their part.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
did you ask them why no loaner? I can't imagine being so penny wise and pound foolish.

But dont throw the baby out with the bath water; it sounds like a dealer issue, not a MB-wide issue. My dealer in Richmond, VA bends over backwards to make me feel special, and I ain't handsome.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:05 AM

They don't want to spend the money. They say MB won't pay for a loaner (which surprised me a bit). They also said they're a small dealer.

The reality, though, is that they own 5 or 6 different dealer brands in Iowa City. They're not that small. MB should be their premier brand. Seems like a trivial expense.

It's particularly short sighted as my daughter wants a C class and I'm in the market for an SUV. Right now, I'm searching other dealer's inventories -- Acura MDX, Audi A4, other similar cars that we might like.

That's what their policy accomplished.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:15 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2017 CLA Motorsport Edition, 2015 G550, 2012 GLK350
Yeah thats a load of crap. Its all in their dealer floorplan to provide loaners. That part of service alone has convinced my wife to rid of her Avalanche and get a ML or GL.

on a side note what would you sell your wagon for???
Old 12-31-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
my dealer does not do loaner cars. Same reason.... it doesnt REALLY bother me(Im pretty easy going). But yes, it would be nice to have one.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
The one dealer here does loaner cars (usually need to call a week in advance) and a taxi service. Am surprised they don't do this everywhere.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by tscales
They don't want to spend the money. They say MB won't pay for a loaner (which surprised me a bit). They also said they're a small dealer.

The reality, though, is that they own 5 or 6 different dealer brands in Iowa City. They're not that small. MB should be their premier brand. Seems like a trivial expense.

It's particularly short sighted as my daughter wants a C class and I'm in the market for an SUV. Right now, I'm searching other dealer's inventories -- Acura MDX, Audi A4, other similar cars that we might like.

Make sure you call the highest person in the shop and talk about it; be very calm, with your basic query being "are you sure it is worth losing customers over this.....this is the premium brand, should customers be treated in a premium manner....." etc. AND if you are in the mood to try to make the world a better place, send overnight letter to MB franchise people. "Little" things like this, if addressed properly, can be handled in such a way as to make things better for everyone. Dealers, like any businesses, are in such a constant state of "putting fires out" that many times they lose sight of the larger picture.

Thanks for discussing this.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by Timeless
The one dealer here does loaner cars (usually need to call a week in advance) and a taxi service. Am surprised they don't do this everywhere.
I meant to give you a sense of the protocol with the Dealer here in Richmond, Virginia:

1. loaner car if make appointment about a week in advance.
2. if no loaner cars available, then free rental car from rental company down the street
3. if all rental cars are out, courtesy shuttle to your work place (at any time of day)

Don't get me wrong: my dealer is as shady in many ways as any other dealer (Service managers are compensated by commission on total $ of repair thus they are incentivized to recommend the "complete repair solution;" sales people play hard ball as the end of the month quota pressure rises, etc.), but they seemed to have figured out the non-expensive high-yield subtlety of loaner cars (and car washed/vacuumed with each service)

thnx
Old 12-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
Originally Posted by Timeless
I'm down in Virginia Beach with an E63, no loaner from Phillips Mercedes either since I didn't buy the car from them. At first I was told I would get one if available but they changed that story and I never get one. I have been a customer for years and I put a bunch of work through them with my other MB with no problems but they decided to not offer them starting in 04 unless you purchase the car from them. The other local dealer across the water in Hampton has some sort of $400 dollar loaner program you must buy with a Mercedes to get a loaner.

I sent the owner of Phillips a letter about this issue, pointing out that they are losing residual business and when I purchase another Mercedes I have less of an incentive to purchase since they didn't help me out. In short they don't care because although there are a number of people like me going elsewhere they have enough business at the dealer already. Sounds like Mercedes should award another franchise in the area for more competition.

Because of this and the fact that I do business in DC regularly I just take it to HBL Mercedes where I am put in a loaner and service is done without any questions.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:25 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
It's much harder to get a loaner (especially an MB loaner) from a dealer whom you did not purschase the car from...not saying this is right but since MB has no corporate loaner plolicy they leave it up to the individual dealers.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55
Maybe they heard about the cat travel story! lol J/K

Seems the smaller town MB dealers try to cut overhead a bit more than others.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB, BMW
must be the Mercedes way of doing business, charge $100k for a car and let's risk losing that customer over a $30 loaner. Kinda like let's charge extra $$$$ on a $100k car for xenon lights, cd changer and heated seats which are std on $25k Honda.

My neighbor has a Lexus, and for each service a Lexus fella drives over to his house in a new Lexus, and will bring the car back to him the next morning. It's no secret that Lexus is winning over the consumers
Old 12-31-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
SL 500
I live in N. VA and get a loner every time I go in for service, no questions asked and I did not buy the car there. I think that will go away after the car is out of warranty though. Seems that MB ought to make this a condition of having a franchise. They will lose people to other brands of premium cars. Heck, even my independent service shop will drive me to my home and then pick me up when the car is done.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally Posted by RJC
It's much harder to get a loaner (especially an MB loaner) from a dealer whom you did not purschase the car from...not saying this is right but since MB has no corporate loaner plolicy they leave it up to the individual dealers.
*Ding* MBUSA has no policy stating that MB customers will get a loaner when they bring their car in for service. It is up to the individual dealer to provide a loaner, alternate transportation, shuttle or rental service.

Try another dealer around your area.
Old 12-31-2007, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,001 Likes on 808 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350

I would tell them exactly how you feel and speak to the general manager about the problem. I would tell them that you are concerened about your future dealing with the dealership if this is how they are going to treat you. I'm sure they will see the light of day.

If they still don't offer a loaner, I would tell them your intention is to take your business elsewhere even if it is out of my way. Make sure you also let the the sales manager that it will affect your decision from buying from that dealership. The sales manager will run it up the ladder and force the issue.

Penny wise and pound foolish is absolutely right.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:32 PM

I spoke at length with the GM. I shared that I was in the market for more Mercedes, but my first impression was so poor that I couldn't see purchasing from his dealership.

He spent quite a bit of time telling me why I was wrong and little time listening.

I've gotten over my desire to get rid of the car (I do love it) and may be forced to use his dealership (only one within 100 miles), but I won't like it

He knows he has the market.
Old 01-01-2008, 09:47 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 146 Likes on 102 Posts
Not providing a loaner to a customer for warranty work that purchased from another dealer is one thing...but if he was paying for service D and the dealer still refused a loaner than that's just plain dumb by the new dealer imho.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:55 AM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Welcome to the world of MB! I am in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area.

There is a drag strip in Iowa - Cedar Falls Raceway - that we have to meet at. I have never been there but understand it is known as a good track for hooking-up out of the hole. We should meet this spring!

TK
Old 01-02-2008, 10:47 AM

2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Originally Posted by ProV1
must be the Mercedes way of doing business, charge $100k for a car and let's risk losing that customer over a $30 loaner. Kinda like let's charge extra $$$$ on a $100k car for xenon lights, cd changer and heated seats which are std on $25k Honda.

My neighbor has a Lexus, and for each service a Lexus fella drives over to his house in a new Lexus, and will bring the car back to him the next morning. It's no secret that Lexus is winning over the consumers
While I agree, lexus is a great brand. I DO NOT think Mercedes is losing many customers to Lexus. ESPECIALLY those who are in the market for an AMG product... Simply apples and oranges.. Lexus does not make 1 model, that Im evem mildly excited about..

Would I like a loaner car? yes.... Would not getting one, prevent me from buying anohter AMG product? No, it wouldnt..

I always discuss this with my dad.. He wants an SL55 in the worst way. but fears owning a Mercedes, due to reliability concerns.. The 2 E55's I have owned, (2004&2005) spent More time in the shop, than my 110k mile, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Which is worth about the same, as the wheels on my E55.. Thats just the way it is, with AMG's.. When they are running properly, it makes owning them all worthwhile though.. You just have to plan on some "down" time, when owning one of these machines..
Old 01-02-2008, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Welcome to the world of MB! I am in the St. Paul/Minneapolis area.

There is a drag strip in Iowa - Cedar Falls Raceway - that we have to meet at. I have never been there but understand it is known as a good track for hooking-up out of the hole. We should meet this spring!

TK
I'm already planning on it. My Drag radials are in the garage, waiting for spring!
Old 01-02-2008, 11:47 AM

CLS 55
I have never really understood why dealerships do this. They make a lot more money on service than they do on the sale of the car!
Old 01-02-2008, 12:57 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
I'm already planning on it. My Drag radials are in the garage, waiting for spring!
Love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stock? How does your car run? The cool temps were good to me last fall (track in Wisconsin); 12.16 @ 114 (Toyo Tires - non D/R's - and K&N).

Hopefully I have an ASP Pulley, 160 thermo, and Johnson Pump in it by the spring.

I have some new friends from last year, too (911 TT w/608HP @ the wheels, GT2 with 650 Hp, Supercharged Viper, and C6 Z06 with Cam, Heads)....

I think I can talk them into a trip to IA!

TK
Old 01-02-2008, 08:36 PM

I've never run a dragstrip in my life. My E55 is stock.

Any idea what the strip's position is on convertibles? Love to run my C6 too.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 AM
GGM

2008 E350
I bought my E55 in Virginia, while I was living in Florida. My Orlando dealer never had any problems with it and always gave me a loaner. They never even asked!
Which Orlando dealer? My experience with MB of South Orlando is that they only give loaner cars if you bought the car from them. Both of my cars were bought at MB of Orlando. The first, because it was the only dealer in town at the time. My present car came from them because of the discount they offered for being "a repeat customer." I actually live much closer to the South Orlando store but they weren't willing to work with me on price when it came time to buy the new car. And the last time the first car went in for service, MB of Orlando came and picked up the car and left me a loaner car in the parking lot at work. It's one of the reasons I went back even though they are on the north side of Orlando and I live on the far south side.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:47 AM

It was the north one in Maitland. Great people, excellent service, always a loaner.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No loaner car!