W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

ASP Pulley Installed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
ASP Pulley Installed

Nothing that you guys don't already know, but this is by far the greatest mod I've done to any of my cars. I'm sure the pulley works well with the Evotech ECU flash for maximum performance.
I did notice one thing... in the third under WOT as the RPMs climbed, I felt that the vehicle wasn't accelerating as quickly. Which was odd, since it should do the opposite at higher RPMs. So, I'm thinking that I might be experiencing heat soak. Assuming this as I do not have a datalogger. I guess the next logical step is the Heat Exchanger. I remember an upgraded cooling solution making the biggest difference on my Audi after the boost increase.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
It is definitely heat soak...get an upgraded HE and you might as well upgrade your water pump too...

Is it a night and day difference???
Old 01-06-2008, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
This is most likely my next mod...keep us informed.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2008, 09:39 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
It is definetely something you notice every time you accelerate. For example, ecu alone wasn't much... noticeable, but not much. With ASP it is always a great reminder a throttle away. There should be no second thoughts about this mod. I already have the Johnson pump and will upgrade the cooling. A dyno will be done when I get my stock wheels on to clean up the 20"s.

Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
It is definitely heat soak...get an upgraded HE and you might as well upgrade your water pump too...

Is it a night and day difference???
Old 01-07-2008, 12:17 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I don't think it has anything to do with heat soak. It is the boost. Your car is dumping fuel on purpose.

Got any of the dynos?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:57 AM

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Has your car had the air pump recall done with the new flash software. If so, then what you are feeling is normal. Mercedes put a load limited in that dumps fuel and opens bypass valve so you can actually see less hp with the pulley than you would stock. The car will 'feel' faster (seat of the pants meter), but that's because it takes a second or two before the new software starts limiting power. Hopefully Powerchip will have a fix soon!
Old 01-07-2008, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I thought they've already found a fix for that flash problem
Old 01-07-2008, 02:43 AM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I have a new stock IC pump. Had a base dyno done. The car is healthy. I just got an Evotech flash last month. I will be getting a post dyno in a few weeks. Will post results. Regardless of the dyno, I will be getting a new heat exchanger with Johnson. Thinking that it should be within Evotech Stage I (178mm) range. After that a set of shorties from VRP.
Anyone debating on pulley or Stage I should just get it done... it'll put a smile on your face.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Whore
i wish it was dry enough here in socal to drive my car
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by jangy
I don't think it has anything to do with heat soak. It is the boost. Your car is dumping fuel on purpose.

Got any of the dynos?
can you be more specific jangy?
do you mean the issue is not heat related and the loss of power is caused by fuel dumping? (which i thought was related to intake temps rising so its safty) no
Old 01-07-2008, 09:00 AM

Before you start dumping more $$$ in mods into your car, you may want to hold off on heat exchangers, headers, etc... Until there is a software fix for pulleys (I don't think anyone has a proven fix yet), you may just be wasting more $$$.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Zod
can you be more specific jangy?
do you mean the issue is not heat related and the loss of power is caused by fuel dumping? (which i thought was related to intake temps rising so its safty) no
You are almost on it. There are a number of parameters that can go whacky, causing the car to dump fuel. IATs are just one. In this case, it is the boost. The car does NOT like high boost. If you look at the dyno of a large pulley on a stock AND newer E55, you will see that it gets even richer than the baseline. And, it basically dumps the fuel after 5K RPM (13ish psi).

PC has found the map. I know because mine is a MONSTER now. They basically unleashed it all and now need to back off a bit (just so the car doesn't POP).

I absolutely agree with cooling upgrades, but everyone needs to STOP listening to tuners that say it is the IATs. That is why I am asking for people to post dynos.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by LTHL VPR
Before you start dumping more $$$ in mods into your car, you may want to hold off on heat exchangers, headers, etc... Until there is a software fix for pulleys (I don't think anyone has a proven fix yet), you may just be wasting more $$$.

No full fix, yet BUT PC is putting in the time.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:38 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Wait just a minute lol... There's another issue I have to worry about with software even after an Evotech ECU flash???

Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by DirtyVegasMB
Wait just a minute lol... There's another issue I have to worry about with software even after an Evotech ECU flash???
No, you are fine. Try the sneaky reset and re-adapt the car.
Old 01-08-2008, 07:39 AM

I am not sure what software Evotech uses, but I can tell you that Powerchip has still not found a fix. They are working away on it, but if you have the air pump recall with software flash, and you add a pulley, then Powerchip and others have not found a way to work around the software yet so you can enjoy the extra power. You may be seeing less hp than stock with a pulley and headers.
Old 01-08-2008, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
to unleash power power... you need a bigger HE.

I drove the car without any cooling mods for 6 months and I was missing out.

My car is almost running perfectly.. except for a few engine jerks when the compressor engages, which only occurs a few times per day.
Old 01-08-2008, 10:38 PM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
Tx. Have done one regularly after all upgrades.

Originally Posted by AdamG@EVOtech
No, you are fine. Try the sneaky reset and re-adapt the car.
The new larger HE will be in next.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I am not sure what software Evotech uses, but I can tell you that Powerchip has still not found a fix. They are working away on it, but if you have the air pump recall with software flash, and you add a pulley, then Powerchip and others have not found a way to work around the software yet so you can enjoy the extra power. You may be seeing less hp than stock with a pulley and headers.
EVOtech uses EVOtech software.

Powerchip has found it. Do they sell it yet? No, but they have found it because my car is a monster right now (VRP pulley and PC Tune). They need to back off a bit on some things and it will be done.

With all due respect to the "others", I don't believe that anyone has solved it. I don't even think that most tuners have been willing to acknowledge it. They simply tune it the same way they would an '03.

Dynos prove it all. I've asked that they be posted and noone has come close. They all suck at the top end. The ONLY newer car I've seen run right with a larger pulley is Jrocket's (his ex) and I am starting to think that it was because of his 80mmTB (dropping p.s.i.). He had no tune on it and no headers and yet he had GREAT pull at the top.
Old 01-09-2008, 02:35 AM

'21 GLC63, '19 M5
I'll post the latest dyno when I get it done and have you guys look at my top end and tell me if there's anything wrong with it. Until then I'll enjoy what I got...
Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Dynos prove it all. I've asked that they be posted and noone has come close.
Can you post your dyno results with the pulley and tune? I'm doing an ASP as soon as I get the pulley back from being professionally balanced (and without an ECU tune initially) and would like to have something to benchmark against.
Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
EVOtech uses EVOtech software.

Powerchip has found it. Do they sell it yet? No, but they have found it because my car is a monster right now (VRP pulley and PC Tune). They need to back off a bit on some things and it will be done.

With all due respect to the "others", I don't believe that anyone has solved it. I don't even think that most tuners have been willing to acknowledge it. They simply tune it the same way they would an '03.

Dynos prove it all. I've asked that they be posted and noone has come close. They all suck at the top end. The ONLY newer car I've seen run right with a larger pulley is Jrocket's (his ex) and I am starting to think that it was because of his 80mmTB (dropping p.s.i.). He had no tune on it and no headers and yet he had GREAT pull at the top.

i agree.

he ran a 118 at Fontana..

and he also has a FMIC custom .... not sure how big or capacity.

I would advice for the following order of mods with out ECU.

larger crank pulley
FMIC and pump
TB
Pulley Wrap Kit
headers (if priced around $1500)
Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

So am I reading this thread correctly?...on newer model year W211s, there is an issue on the high end with fuel dumping? Do we have to worry about it with the '03s?

I plan on getting a Johnson pump and heat exchanger, but after that I would like to look at a pulley. It appears I should get an ECU flash at the same time...is that correct? Anyone know the diameters of the available pulleys? I'd sure like to go with VRP's (oh yeah, the red one!) since it looks fabulous, but I'd like the best bang for...well, bang.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 PM

2006 E500 4matic wagon
[QUOTE}I would advice for the following order of mods with out ECU.

larger crank pulley
FMIC and pump
TB
Pulley Wrap Kit
headers (if priced around $1500)[/QUOTE]

I read in another post that first on the mod list should be headers due to the fact they are the most restricted item on the 55 and creating more heat with increased boost will not make for a effiecient stand-alone mod (w/o cooling).
Old 01-09-2008, 07:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
So am I reading this thread correctly?...on newer model year W211s, there is an issue on the high end with fuel dumping? Do we have to worry about it with the '03s?

I plan on getting a Johnson pump and heat exchanger, but after that I would like to look at a pulley. It appears I should get an ECU flash at the same time...is that correct? Anyone know the diameters of the available pulleys? I'd sure like to go with VRP's (oh yeah, the red one!) since it looks fabulous, but I'd like the best bang for...well, bang.

You are reading correctly. I dunno about the earlier models that have had the flash. Some may have the issue and some may not.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASP Pulley Installed