Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why can't the US produce a show...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Why can't the US produce a show...

like Top Gear? I just got done watching the 11/18 episode of Top Gear where they drove the E63 and M5 estates on Manchester airfield at night. I am amazed every time I watch an episode of Top Gear (and even Fifth Gear to a lesser extent) on the quality of the camera work.

Damn do they thrash those cars...I just love watching cars driven to the edge. We just don't get that here unless you see it on youtube videos showing illegal street racing or drift shows that only show rice rockets (and those all look like crap). All we get is Motorweek...yawn...

Clarkson can be an oaf but that is a small price to pay to see cars actually driven hard.

I've got 3 more episodes from the end of 2007 to watch...If you guys don't download the torrents for the Top Gear or Fifth Gear, you should...it's not **** but if you are a car enthusiast it beats reading test reports in print (even the ones in Top Gear/Evo).

I know Top Gear is supposed to have a US version, I hope it doesn't get watered down. It would be a shame, but I guess it would be better than what we get on the Speed channel any day of the week (I don't think I can take another episode of "whip" being made).
Old 01-08-2008, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by AMGfan
like Top Gear? I just got done watching the 11/18 episode of Top Gear where they drove the E63 and M5 estates on Manchester airfield at night. I am amazed every time I watch an episode of Top Gear (and even Fifth Gear to a lesser extent) on the quality of the camera work.

Damn do they thrash those cars...I just love watching cars driven to the edge. We just don't get that here unless you see it on youtube videos showing illegal street racing or drift shows that only show rice rockets (and those all look like crap). All we get is Motorweek...yawn...

Clarkson can be an oaf but that is a small price to pay to see cars actually driven hard.

I've got 3 more episodes from the end of 2007 to watch...If you guys don't download the torrents for the Top Gear or Fifth Gear, you should...it's not **** but if you are a car enthusiast it beats reading test reports in print (even the ones in Top Gear/Evo).

I know Top Gear is supposed to have a US version, I hope it doesn't get watered down. It would be a shame, but I guess it would be better than what we get on the Speed channel any day of the week (I don't think I can take another episode of "whip" being made).
I completely agree...or they should put Top Gear on Speed Channel. I'd watch every episode. Usually I just look them up on youtube.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Can I ask you guys what are you favorite parts of Top Gear??

I am in the TV and Radio business and have, for a few years now, thought of making my own version of Top Gear. Course Top Gear has a MASSIVE budget so it would be a little rough to start, but I really think it would catch on over here.

Few problems I would have though.

1) Not sure how many American cars I should feature. How would Mr American like seeing me feature another foreign car week after week? I guess everyone likes to see Lambos etc so that would be easy, but would Johnny Mustang in Alabama actually watch an M5 episode or would he even just tune out. To make $$$, you gotta snag um all, not just the luxury and exotic fans to watch. I am sure it's the same challenge they are facing as they try to plan Top Gear US.

2) Do you guys like the funny bits they sometimes do? Watched it with the wife and she was rolling and I discovered what they are up to. The funny contests/sketches etc really appeal to women (but I do like them too) who for the most part, could care less what the M5 does on the skidpad.

Anything you guys would change if you could on Top Gear to make it better??

Again, just a dream right now, but then again, so Top Gear one time.
Old 01-08-2008, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Can I ask you guys what are you favorite parts of Top Gear??

I am in the TV and Radio business and have, for a few years now, thought of making my own version of Top Gear. Course Top Gear has a MASSIVE budget so it would be a little rough to start, but I really think it would catch on over here.

Few problems I would have though.

1) Not sure how many American cars I should feature. How would Mr American like seeing me feature another foreign car week after week? I guess everyone likes to see Lambos etc so that would be easy, but would Johnny Mustang in Alabama actually watch an M5 episode or would he even just tune out. To make $$$, you gotta snag um all, not just the luxury and exotic fans to watch. I am sure it's the same challenge they are facing as they try to plan Top Gear US.

2) Do you guys like the funny bits they sometimes do? Watched it with the wife and she was rolling and I discovered what they are up to. The funny contests/sketches etc really appeal to women (but I do like them too) who for the most part, could care less what the M5 does on the skidpad.

Anything you guys would change if you could on Top Gear to make it better??

Again, just a dream right now, but then again, so Top Gear one time.
With the WGA Strike upon us this would be a good time to get this off the ground
Old 01-08-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
I think any car enthusiast in the US would get a kick out of the type of driving that they do in Top Gear/Fifth Gear...I just love the fact that they treat these cars like real cars (maybe over the top at times - which I personally love) and not garage queens.

I think if you have any interest in cars you will hook them. Besides the driving ,the photography is spectacular and the combination of the two would is a knockout.

You throw in a couple of mustangs, corvettes, 60's and 70's muscle cars, the resident exotic, and the car that we can't get here in the States on a abandoned airfield track and I'd watch that religiously (given our version of the Stigg). The other comedic stuff on Top Gear (especially) is also a great factor in keeping my attention...they were racing motor homes on the episode I saw last night which was hilarious and the episode where Clarkson was driving and evening picking up the smallest car in the world around the BBC offices was hilarious (he was literally driving around the office cubicles and getting in an elevator in that mini mini).

The banter between the hosts can be a bit much, but most of the time I get a giggle out of them.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
As much as I would LOVE a local market version of Top Gear (heck, we've adopted "The Office" already!), I wonder if our 'average' American driver would get the show and be able to make it commercially viable - which, after all, would have to be the acid test for any network to pick it up.

Given the general attitude towards driving of the Europeans - it's no wonder that each country can have shows such as Top Gear (e.g. Auto Motor und Sport in Germany) and have a high degree of commercial success and long term viability.

It's no wonder why SPEED was gobbled up by Fox and became, almost overnight, the NASCAR channel.

It has always amazed me that for a geographically small country that is the U.K., there are SO MANY amazing road courses in England and scattered through Scotland and Ireland - not to mention the amazing driving roads on the Isle of Man and Wales. I salivate every time I read the articles in Evo and CAR when they do road tests - it's like every road is a Tail of the Dragon...

Still, I wouldn't mind if an enterprising television production company and network made a go of a knock-off of "Top Gear" and see how the U.S. market can work with a show such as this.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rkao
As much as I would LOVE a local market version of Top Gear (heck, we've adopted "The Office" already!), I wonder if our 'average' American driver would get the show and be able to make it commercially viable - which, after all, would have to be the acid test for any network to pick it up.

Given the general attitude towards driving of the Europeans - it's no wonder that each country can have shows such as Top Gear (e.g. Auto Motor und Sport in Germany) and have a high degree of commercial success and long term viability.

It's no wonder why SPEED was gobbled up by Fox and became, almost overnight, the NASCAR channel.

It has always amazed me that for a geographically small country that is the U.K., there are SO MANY amazing road courses in England and scattered through Scotland and Ireland - not to mention the amazing driving roads on the Isle of Man and Wales. I salivate every time I read the articles in Evo and CAR when they do road tests - it's like every road is a Tail of the Dragon...

Still, I wouldn't mind if an enterprising television production company and network made a go of a knock-off of "Top Gear" and see how the U.S. market can work with a show such as this.
Well if the time is not now it is never. US based production is sadly reality knock offs and then more realitty knock offs. Its a big part of the US economy , i think a show like Top Gear viable , JUMP ON THIS JAKPRO
Old 01-08-2008, 12:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by juicee63
Well if the time is not now it is never. US based production is sadly reality knock offs and then more realitty knock offs. Its a big part of the US economy , i think a show like Top Gear viable , JUMP ON THIS JAKPRO
You know what I think holds the project back is the production value of the show. As Jakpro said there budget is large and most US production companies in the Hollywood/New York seem to have gravitated to the cheap reality show.

I'd love to see this happen even on a smaller scale, maybe focusing on the test reports and test track thrashing with the style and verve of Top Gear UK.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
i think the main problem is that in Europe, ppl buy the ///M & AMG cars to actually drive them hard, on the racetrack, 155+ on the 'bahn, etc. But over here, people buy them more for 'status symbols' and garage queens, and love to 'armchair-race' according to the numbers published on car mag's.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:31 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by ProV1
i think the main problem is that in Europe, ppl buy the ///M & AMG cars to actually drive them hard, on the racetrack, 155+ on the 'bahn, etc. But over here, people buy them more for 'status symbols' and garage queens, and love to 'armchair-race' according to the numbers published on car mag's.

very true. It is so frustrating: I want to take out the Animal and run her hard like a thoroughbred race horse, but opportunities are few and far between. My best so far: early one morning on new freeway; no cars in sight: 151 mph; she had plenty more to go; it felt great

And in terms of challenging curves, etc., there are plenty of 2 lane back roads nearby, but timing is difficult: as soon as she starts to breath heavy and work up a sweat, I turn a corner and see up ahead the classic minivan mommy yacking on the cell phone, thinking she is the only car on that road.

So i try to fit in some regular workouts for the Beast, but it takes careful planning, and a watchful V1

Old 01-08-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'34 Lagonda, '69 280SL, '07 E63 wagon
My wife (who is not a car enthusiast) absolutely loves Top Gear. I have never been able to get her to show any enthusiasm for cars, but we both have found things to enjoy. Why can't American car shows be this good?

I especially loved the episode on the Bugatti Veyron when she leans over and says the words every man loves to hear. "That cars' cute, you should get one."
(as if her permission is the only thing preventing me from owning a Bugatti
Old 01-08-2008, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
very true. It is so frustrating: I want to take out the Animal and run her hard like a thoroughbred race horse, but opportunities are few and far between. My best so far: early one morning on new freeway; no cars in sight: 151 mph; she had plenty more to go; it felt great

And in terms of challenging curves, etc., there are plenty of 2 lane back roads nearby, but timing is difficult: as soon as she starts to breath heavy and work up a sweat, I turn a corner and see up ahead the classic minivan mommy yacking on the cell phone, thinking she is the only car on that road.

So i try to fit in some regular workouts for the Beast, but it takes careful planning, and a watchful V1

you almost hit the limiter
Old 01-08-2008, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by rich644
My wife (who is not a car enthusiast) absolutely loves Top Gear. I have never been able to get her to show any enthusiasm for cars, but we both have found things to enjoy. Why can't American car shows be this good?

I especially loved the episode on the Bugatti Veyron when she leans over and says the words every man loves to hear. "That cars' cute, you should get one."
(as if her permission is the only thing preventing me from owning a Bugatti
LOL...

I can sense the need for this show Ima email Touchstone, you guys can all help produce from this website
Old 01-16-2008, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1003696583

Here ya go buddy!!!!

Dam guess we did have a GREAT IDEA

Maybe I can work on this
Old 01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/news/rec..._id=1003696583

Here ya go buddy!!!!

Dam guess we did have a GREAT IDEA

Maybe I can work on this
Dam this was OUR IDEA!!!!!!!@ basstards
Old 01-16-2008, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Dam this was OUR IDEA!!!!!!!@ basstards
Like I said...I hope they get real car guys hosting the show instead of some pansy auto writers who have never driven anything hard. I hope it gets here soon...recording Motorweek via Tivo is better than taking a sleeping pill.
Old 01-16-2008, 08:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Like I said...I hope they get real car guys hosting the show instead of some pansy auto writers who have never driven anything hard. I hope it gets here soon...recording Motorweek via Tivo is better than taking a sleeping pill.
Maybe we could get a job! Hell ya