Sponsored by:

Is 544 HP the new w212 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55K
E63 544 is what is going to be....They are not going to throw away totally news motor that was build from and scratch and costed a lots of money...thay are going to use it...then release 6.3 TT (modified version of existing block) on new SL63 later...
Old 01-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra/E55
Originally Posted by E55 RUSS
E63 544 is what is going to be....They are not going to throw away totally news motor that was build from and scratch and costed a lots of money...thay are going to use it...then release 6.3 TT (modified version of existing block) on new SL63 later...
Very good point!

-AS
Old 01-16-2008, 12:53 PM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Originally Posted by mosesgolf
I thought it was a C Class at first glance.
I hope we don't see what happened during the 1970's and early 1980's when it comes to car performance. Those were TERRIBLE years for car enthusiasts. Downsizing of engines doesn't necesarily mean less horsepower. Looks like turbocharging will be the way to replace displacement in the future.

this isn't the C class?? Oh my god, I am going to be keeping my e55 for longer than planned.
Old 01-16-2008, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
well, here I go again being the only one with a positive opinion. To be honest I actually like this car and I think the HP is very stategic from MB.

If they upped the figure past that they would canabalize CLS63, CLK63, and all other 63 sales unless they updated all those cars too.

As for the looks, I happen to think they are an improvement over the current design but that's just a matter of opinion.

And you never know, maybe they'll reduce the weight or something ..

Keep in mind, most people don't look at the E63/55 as a sports car
Old 01-16-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Looks Japanese; seen some Hondas with similar theme.

Anyone like some lo mein with that rice?

:ri ce::puke :

....rythmic spewage........
Old 01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by TREZ63
well, here I go again being the only one with a positive opinion. To be honest I actually like this car and I think the HP is very stategic from MB.

If they upped the figure past that they would canabalize CLS63, CLK63, and all other 63 sales unless they updated all those cars too.

As for the looks, I happen to think they are an improvement over the current design but that's just a matter of opinion.

And you never know, maybe they'll reduce the weight or something ..

Keep in mind, most people don't look at the E63/55 as a sports car
Trez, I really don't think this is a very strategic move from Mercedes. If they equip the E63 with twin turbos and up the power to 650 hp, then that change would migrate to the CLS63 and CLK63 as well. It wouldn't be just the E-Class getting that much power. With 650 hp Twin Turbo engine, Mercedes would easily be ahead of the competition. Given that the RS6 and M5 are going to twin turbo engines with 600+ hp (and they are direct competitors to E63), then Mercedes will lose a lot more sales than they'll ever save trying to protect the CLS63 and CLK63

I think the reason they haven't moved on yet is because the 63 engine is too new and that they spent way too much money on R&D to just ditch it so quickly after a year or two of it's release. It is also possible that they could still be working out some of the 7G transmission problems? Or better yet, maybe they're cooking up a brand new transmission for us? Maybe a DSG type one
Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Trez, I really don't think this is a very strategic move from Mercedes. If they equip the E63 with twin turbos and up the power to 650 hp, then that change would migrate to the CLS63 and CLK63 as well. It wouldn't be just the E-Class getting that much power. With 650 hp Twin Turbo engine, Mercedes would easily be ahead of the competition. Given that the RS6 and M5 are going to twin turbo engines with 600+ hp (and they are direct competitors to E63), then Mercedes will lose a lot more sales than they'll ever save trying to protect the CLS63 and CLK63

I think the reason they haven't moved on yet is because the 63 engine is too new and that they spent way too much money on R&D to just ditch it so quickly after a year or two of it's release. It is also possible that they could still be working out some of the 7G transmission problems? Or better yet, maybe they're cooking up a brand new transmission for us? Maybe a DSG type one

Agreed.

The bottom line for this consumer: I am thrilled to have the '06 E55, and my gut tells me that depending on this November's election, we may be part of a dieing breed of drivers, depending on how quickly the "green" movement makes it more and more difficult to obtain these monsters.

This current car may be a museum piece in 10 years. Let's hope not, but man, I can see at least some of the "green" writing on the wall.