Camber - a new view

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Camber - a new view

So, I have been running the R rated tires with the car predominately dropped about 75%. I initially put them on the car for a Willow Springs session, but couldn't go due to the fires. At any rate, I left them on the car and tried them out. Overall, very happy with the tires, but disappointed that they never saw the track so that i could really se how they wear.

Another note to add is that I have not done much twisty play on the car on these tires, either so I do not have any feel for how on or off the camber is for handling. What I do see is that the fronts are wearing a ridge on the inside. Clearly, for street driving, I have too much negative Camber. I will likely need less and less negative camber as I stiffen up the suspension and control body roll.

My question is: would I want a different setup for the track? If it is a real twisty track, am I fooling myself to think that the extra negative camber comes into play when the car is leaning? I used to judge it by how high on the outer sidewall I was climbing in the turns. The OEM Contis would get all the was up into the face (almost), so I liked more negative camber to compensate. But, that was also Z rated tires (softer sidewall).

Anyhooo, I'm glad suspension parts was next on the list. I definitely don't want to start compromising now and get the tweaked bushings.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
Originally Posted by jangy
So, I have been running the R rated tires with the car predominately dropped about 75%. I initially put them on the car for a Willow Springs session, but couldn't go due to the fires. At any rate, I left them on the car and tried them out. Overall, very happy with the tires, but disappointed that they never saw the track so that i could really se how they wear.

Another note to add is that I have not done much twisty play on the car on these tires, either so I do not have any feel for how on or off the camber is for handling. What I do see is that the fronts are wearing a ridge on the inside. Clearly, for street driving, I have too much negative Camber. I will likely need less and less negative camber as I stiffen up the suspension and control body roll.

My question is: would I want a different setup for the track? If it is a real twisty track, am I fooling myself to think that the extra negative camber comes into play when the car is leaning? I used to judge it by how high on the outer sidewall I was climbing in the turns. The OEM Contis would get all the was up into the face (almost), so I liked more negative camber to compensate. But, that was also Z rated tires (softer sidewall).

Anyhooo, I'm glad suspension parts was next on the list. I definitely don't want to start compromising now and get the tweaked bushings.
Jangy no track set up will work well on the street and no street setup will work well on the track. They are just mutually exclusive items. Your tire wear is normal for a car thats set to grip in the corners. Taking out camber wont be something you want to do unless wearing tires is a real issue for you.

Say you get to the track, you need to take tire temps while the tire is hot (in the hot pit before you have any time to let a tire cool off). If you go down on camber I bet you will roast the outside of the tire given the car is a 4k lb + car. Just try to get even temps across the whole surface of the tire.

Once you get the suspension tuned (or even now) you get to play with tire pressures and camber to get to the sweet spot on tire wear and tire temps. You can use more camber and lower the pressures a bit to let the tire actually flex and sit on the ground while cornering. Running tons of air just patches the fact that the car is stet up pretty poorly. But given the nature of this car its never going to have the greatest tire wear at the track. I think 2.5-3 degrees would be "ok" for the track. Remember many track cars use 3-5 degrees of negative camber so your settings are still really really mellow.

Off to the track tomorrow! Should be fun.