Removed pulley bolt - but pulley does not move

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55
Removed pulley bolt - but pulley does not move

Hi,

I removed the pulley bolt. That part was no problem with the pulley tool. The pulley just does not want to move.

I have been out to buy more tools twice now. First I tried from the top, then from the bottom. From the bottom there is a suspension sub-frame in the way to get a good angle.

Oh, this is on an SL55.

Any ideas, can anyone help me out? I'm in West Los Angeles.

Thanks.

Last edited by sanfran; 01-19-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL65
I had the same problem. The best thing is to pry from two sides at the same time, but this takes two people. I used a pry bar and put an old sway bar rubber bushing around the bar to pry against. Just keep trying, it will come loose.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Is there some sort of puller that will fit in their and work?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:05 PM

2004 S55 AMG
I had the same problem. It took me 2 plus hours with the help of my brother in law. It will take a alot of prying.
Old 01-19-2008, 07:06 PM

CL65
If there is, I think it would have to be a special tool for the job. I have two different pullers and neither would come close to working. A lot of the problem is caused by the space limitation.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
A big blow torch will get it right off (along with ruining the main seal and old pulley).

That aside, patient and careful prying will work it off but protect everything that you are prying against so you don't mark it up.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM

SL55
Got it off.

I have two different pullers, they did not fit.

It took some time, but it is done now. I'm sure it would have been easier with the help of another person or the benefit of a lift.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by sanfran
Got it off.

I have two different pullers, they did not fit.

It took some time, but it is done now. I'm sure it would have been easier with the help of another person or the benefit of a lift.
After all that tell us what you did, and with what?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
A lift really comes in handy. You literally need to "walk" the pulley off the crank. I would avoid pry bars as much as you can.

Another thing to keep in mind. Do the work when the engine is COLD. If the insides is hot, it will slightly expand and bind the pulley more than if it were cold. I know it sounds funny, but it worked on my car. The old pulley slid right off and the new one went right in.

For those that have any issues removing their pulleys, make sure you check the woodruff key, just in case. That would also cause the symptoms you note.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:44 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by OzE55
After all that tell us what you did, and with what?
I went to Pep Boys and got a set of pry bars. One of them worked well.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:45 PM

SL55
Originally Posted by jangy
A lift really comes in handy. You literally need to "walk" the pulley off the crank. I would avoid pry bars as much as you can.

Another thing to keep in mind. Do the work when the engine is COLD. If the insides is hot, it will slightly expand and bind the pulley more than if it were cold. I know it sounds funny, but it worked on my car. The old pulley slid right off and the new one went right in.

For those that have any issues removing their pulleys, make sure you check the woodruff key, just in case. That would also cause the symptoms you note.

Yes, the car was cold. It had been sitting over night. Maybe I should have iced the sucker.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:57 PM

SL55
So now that the pulley is on the car, here are my issues:

I got some surging just under 3,000 RPM. Is that because I don't have a chip and the engagement point of the SC clutch is too rough or does my ECU just need to adjust?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Now wait, I was still on the install.

So, which pulley did you install? Also, do the sneaky ECU reset, to speed the adapting up by dumping the buffer. Larger pulley, my main notices were slight more lag at initial WOT and soem dead power at the top end. As far as jerkiness, only the first gear engagement at 1500 or so RPMs is rougher than before. 1 -2 is fine, so I want to make sure the pulley itself isn't slipping or that the belt isn't.

Not that I am saying anything went wrong for you, but if the woodruf key gets trashed, then the pulley is only held by the TQ of the bolt, so it literally spins and locks from time to time. That can be a jaring feeling and is usually very noticable. If the belt slips, you get a jerk when the gears shift, but you should also hear a scream from the belt.

Back up, give me all the stats on the car (year), mods, etc. and pulley.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:28 AM

SL55
Now wait, I was still on the install.

So, which pulley did you install? Also, do the sneaky ECU reset, to speed the adapting up by dumping the buffer. Larger pulley, my main notices were slight more lag at initial WOT and soem dead power at the top end. As far as jerkiness, only the first gear engagement at 1500 or so RPMs is rougher than before. 1 -2 is fine, so I want to make sure the pulley itself isn't slipping or that the belt isn't.

Not that I am saying anything went wrong for you, but if the woodruf key gets trashed, then the pulley is only held by the TQ of the bolt, so it literally spins and locks from time to time. That can be a jaring feeling and is usually very noticable. If the belt slips, you get a jerk when the gears shift, but you should also hear a scream from the belt.

Back up, give me all the stats on the car (year), mods, etc. and pulley.

My car is a 2004 SL55. I confirmed that the key on the crank was in the 12 o'clock position before I put the pulley on. The key sits at the 40 mark on the pulley. I'm using an ASP pulley.

I did not do the ECU reset. I'll do that Monday.

I still have to install the heat exchanger, 090 Johnson pump, phelonic spacers, and TB, but that won't be untill next weekend. I'm planning on keeping the existing heat exchanger and the new one in in-line configuration.

What software do you think would be best suited for this set-up?
Old 01-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Dude, of course I'm going to recommend Powerchip software, since Vadim has been getting so much custom tuning done right now.

Why get the tune before the other add ons? That is a waste. Get all your crap on, then get it tuned. If you tune now then add a TB, it is a new ball game.

Personally, I think these cars are easier to tune when they have had all of the add ons (TB, Pulley, headers), because that is when the real grunt comes out from every little tweak. As it is, you can really only search for power.

I can't wait for the TB. Let me know if you need help getting any parts. I'm going Johnson 90, too but at least i have a little more room under there than you do.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
I have done this many times. If you use a pin point tip on a torch, and heat up the inside of the pulley, just around the crank, just to about 200 degrees F. it will come off much easier. Then, replace the crank seal, and heat the new pulley where it fits around the crankshaft. It goes much easier. I have done these in 45 minutes start to finish before on an E, the SL isn't much different.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:20 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
GL550, C55, 335i Coupe, vintage Mustang
Originally Posted by sanfran
I confirmed that the key on the crank was in the 12 o'clock position before I put the pulley on. The key sits at the 40 mark on the pulley.

That was a very good idea, it makes it much easier to line up the pulley, and to see the key and ensure it didn't fall off and into the oil pan.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
my car jerks HARD at 3500rpm in first gear. It only does it if I accel gently and hold it in 1st. I used to think it was software, but I think its rough engagement
Old 01-22-2008, 09:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psk145
my car jerks HARD at 3500rpm in first gear. It only does it if I accel gently and hold it in 1st. I used to think it was software, but I think its rough engagement
The thing is that your SC should be engaged by 2K rpms, so i don't know why you go so high before it engages? Does it act different if you give it gas at the low?
Old 01-22-2008, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
Angry

The thing is that your SC should be engaged by 2K rpms, so i don't know why you go so high before it engages? Does it act different if you give it gas at the low?
If I drive like you, its no problem. Only when driving slow and keeping it in 1st. Smooth from idle until 3500, then WHAM!

Giving it moderate gas gives the expected little early on, but no big jerk at 3500