MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by sunil @ motorwerks
Rocket,
as for cams, please make sure the following :

1. Cams were installed with CAM alignment tools
2. CRANK was exactly at specified degree mark
3. EGR valves WERE removed before aligning cams. If not cam may be off one tooth. THIS IS A MUST. One of the cam tools hits the egr valve.

We have these cams on BMS's car and he has gains. I will try and get dyno sheets.
of coarse I have no clue what you are talkin about.lol but Im sure all of this was done. Adam has a master tech that instaled my cams. Besides Vic told me if the cams were off the car would throw a cell. I only got a cell when first installing then gone after the car got used to the new cams.
Old 01-20-2008, 12:44 AM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ROCKETW19
It was 117mph with Cams. and my fastest without cams was 122mph.

EDIT: I also added VRUS air box phelonic spacers and seperated cooling lines. NONE of it helped.

on the SRT8 forums half the people who put cams in lost HP... I think we figured out after months that the truck was pulling timing do to the larger cams... have you made sure it is not pulling timing at all?
Old 01-20-2008, 12:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by tommy25000
on the SRT8 forums half the people who put cams in lost HP... I think we figured out after months that the truck was pulling timing do to the larger cams... have you made sure it is not pulling timing at all?
I will look into that? I have the timing on my display but I usally just look at the IATs.
what did the SRTs end up doing to fix the problem?
Old 01-20-2008, 01:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
hey buddy let make a trip to infineon next weekend and do this right. I hear they have good prep. I feel that it is not fair to Vic unless we can get a real run in. you already know how I feel about dynos. I dont belive them.

Lets be real here how much can my car gain even if oliver dyno tunes it? not much if anything it will get back to where I was. so lets run it the right way at Infineon? Im sure Juice would come.lol.
RocketW19, even though infineon is a very fast track with very good prep, they usually average about 500 cars on open drag days. You may not be able to get more than one or two runs Maybe you should wait for our Sacramento meet. Adam, promised really good track prep.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
RocketW19, even though infineon is a very fast track with very good prep, they usually average about 500 cars on open drag days. You may not be able to get more than one or two runs Maybe you should wait for our Sacramento meet. Adam, promised really good track prep.
lets rent Infineon them. Adam was sayin he dosnt think enough people will pay the price. your right though 500 cars is just stupid.

I seriously can launch better on the street than at sac raceway.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
lets rent Infineon them. Adam was sayin he dosnt think enough people will pay the price. your right though 500 cars is just stupid.

I seriously can launch better on the street than at sac raceway.
I wish we can rent Infineon. It is supposed to be the FASTEST track in the west coast. Infineon employs very good trap prep and an excellent DA (sometimes as low as -2000 ft ).
Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Guys we should do a west coast meet at INFINEON!!!! Lets do it 35 cars
Old 01-20-2008, 09:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E55
Nothing more frustrating than driving to the strip and discovering that the prep sucks. I am sorry.
Old 01-20-2008, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by juicee63
Guys we should do a west coast meet at INFINEON!!!! Lets do it 35 cars
Juicee, we should rent Infineon instead of Sacramento. And lets do it before it starts getting hotter.....
Old 01-20-2008, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Juicee, we should rent Infineon instead of Sacramento. And lets do it before it starts getting hotter.....
Somebody call em and get a price for a privaterental they look like they have an open schedule until it gets busy in March!

Hurry!!
Old 01-20-2008, 03:28 PM

2004 E55
totally agreed.
I used to be a loyal sac customer with my 03 cobra.. this was until i visited infineon for the first time. One visit and i was sold. I haven't set foot in sac in over 4 years.
However, having said that. There is a general consensus among drag racers (those who have season passes and run for points every year, not your sporadic racer) that sac is a faster track. with the right prep sac can't be beat. However, this almost never happens.
The problem with Infineon is that there is ALWAYS a really strong head wind that slows things down. Sac is exactly the opposite. Their tailwind and other factors account for as much as a 2 tenths difference.
I used to run consistent 12.30s with my car(mildly modded supercharged cobra) at infenon. went back to sac with some friends and it run a 12.15.. no changes were made, similar temperatures etc. went back to infineon and went back to .30s. there are dozen of stories similar to mine.

Having said all that. I still rather go to infineon. It just has a better infrastructure, it's closer and gives me a greater sense of security in case a bad accident were to happen.

I'm in for either sac or infineon. I believe renting infineon is much tougher though. we rented it twice back when i belonged to norcal-svtoa and remember it being a hassle.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Talking

Originally Posted by Bay Area User
totally agreed.
I used to be a loyal sac customer with my 03 cobra.. this was until i visited infineon for the first time. One visit and i was sold. I haven't set foot in sac in over 4 years.
However, having said that. There is a general consensus among drag racers (those who have season passes and run for points every year, not your sporadic racer) that sac is a faster track. with the right prep sac can't be beat. However, this almost never happens.
The problem with Infineon is that there is ALWAYS a really strong head wind that slows things down. Sac is exactly the opposite. Their tailwind and other factors account for as much as a 2 tenths difference.
I used to run consistent 12.30s with my car(mildly modded supercharged cobra) at infenon. went back to sac with some friends and it run a 12.15.. no changes were made, similar temperatures etc. went back to infineon and went back to .30s. there are dozen of stories similar to mine.

Having said all that. I still rather go to infineon. It just has a better infrastructure, it's closer and gives me a greater sense of security in case a bad accident were to happen.

I'm in for either sac or infineon. I believe renting infineon is much tougher though. we rented it twice back when i belonged to norcal-svtoa and remember it being a hassle.
Good info....Hell maybe we just pour VHT , I have been there and it was fine but the last three times have been terrible. Guess I could launch in C mode but it just sucks to have to limit your car after a 5 hour drive to run her! Wind just killed my trap at Fontana, so I appreciate the comments. I guess we just need assurance thetrack will be sticky or money back!!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Bay Area User, when I was checking temps and da at infineon throughout the last month or two, I've noticed that Infineon consistently had lower DA than Sacramento and slightly cooler temps One time DA was as low as -1900 ft. Plus, Infineon is known to host some of the biggest racing events in California, so I would assume it has the best track prep. How come it is still slower than Sacramento?

Our last time at Sacramento was so horrible that I just can't imagine the track being any slippier. Like Juicee said, we might as well been staging on ice
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Bay Area User, when I was checking temps and da at infineon throughout the last month or two, I've noticed that Infineon consistently had lower DA than Sacramento and slightly cooler temps One time DA was as low as -1900 ft. Plus, Infineon is known to host some of the biggest racing events in California, so I would assume it has the best track prep. How come it is still slower than Sacramento?

Our last time at Sacramento was so horrible that I just can't imagine the track being any slippier. Like Juicee said, we might as well been staging on ice

He said track is great but there is a constant wind that slows the cars , whereas in Sac the wind is at your A**!
Old 01-20-2008, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Im gonna try and goto infinion to see whats up there or possably take out the cams!
Do you use wrap kit as well ???

Now you guys understand how to race in such track...on this kind of track or even worsth we race all the time...there is no such thing as VHT here...
Old 01-20-2008, 04:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55K
Oliver is comming to euroelites soon so I will have him dyno tune it. but seriously how much power you gonna get with a tune. besides I thought there was no tunning needed for these. Im in for infinion when ever you say bro.

My friend CAMS definately need ECU Tuning to make most of the POWER...Check you boost and Afrs levels with datalogger !!!

If you spin a lot you wont have such a good trap speed...
Old 01-20-2008, 05:07 PM

All of them!
Rocket,
as for cams, please make sure the following :

1. Cams were installed with CAM alignment tools
2. CRANK was exactly at specified degree mark
3. EGR valves WERE removed before aligning cams. If not cam may be off one tooth. THIS IS A MUST. One of the cam tools hits the egr valve.

We have these cams on BMS's car and he has gains. I will try and get dyno sheets.
This is like snipe hunting, there are no EGR valves to take off of a w211, shouldn't be much trouble with them getting in the way of the cam tools.
Old 01-20-2008, 06:47 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by juicee63
He said track is great but there is a constant wind that slows the cars , whereas in Sac the wind is at your A**!

yeah, pretty much. The track at infineon is always top notch. A day with ****ty traction is comparable to the sac officials actually prepping the track at sac. haha.
there are many urban myths as to why infineon is slower.
One that made sense and had a little bit of truth behind it was that the track went uphill a bit. this was true decades ago, but it's obviously been fixed.

Wind is a mayor issue in the late afternoon and specially at night!!!
It's so bad, that is not surprising to see cars(sticks) rolling back at the tree.
This has happen to me on numerous occasions. This however is not an issue with our cars (automatic.) During the day, you fight heat.
So there is always something that prevents conditions from being optimal.
Every now and then you get Wednesdays afternoons where all the stars align and you just run .1 or .2 better than your best.
Weekend events (point races) are great. races start at 8am, so it's not hot and there is no wind to worry about. My best times in all of the cars i've driven have been achieved on weekend events. (Even those better than sac).

I stopped going to sac all together because driving almost two hours for ****ty track prep got old really quickly.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Received 515 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
Originally Posted by mbenzman
This is like snipe hunting, there are no EGR valves to take off of a w211, shouldn't be much trouble with them getting in the way of the cam tools.
I just printed that checklist for my MB tech to review before my W211 E55 cam install. So are you telling me to shred that sheet?

Russ, I was of the understanding that the VRP cams do not need an ECU tune if you are already running K2 software.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:45 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by Rock
I just printed that checklist for my MB tech to review before my W211 E55 cam install. So are you telling me to shred that sheet?
Must be bad info.
W210 E55 as well as all N/A 113's have egr valves (1 each, not more than that per engine) although it wouldn't get in the way of a cam install anyway due to it being located at the rear of the intake at the pass. side cylinder head.
The AMG M113 Kompressor engines do not have an egr valve much less more than one. Kinda like snipe hunting.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
I meant the Air Shut Off Valves which are located in the front of the engine. Location 126/1 and 126/2. And those DO get in the way.

Last edited by SUNILP; 01-20-2008 at 09:37 PM.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:10 PM

All of them!
I meant the Air Shut Off Valves which are located in the front of the engine. Location 126/1 and 126/2. And those DO get in the way.
Only the driver's side is in the way. And I would suggest modification to your tool to provide clearance for the valve so that this one even isn't nec. to remove either.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Guys,

I dont know what the issue is to be honest. I originally thought it was airflow related on the dyno so I suggested that Rocket takes it to the track to confirm..

Like I've said a few times, 2 cars had the cams installed and showed power and had no ECU retune (the rest havent gotten back to me so I have no idea).. BMS (SL55) was a Kleemann K2 car + my 80mm TB kit + VRP cams and the other was Rflow with custom ECU that we had done. Neither of these guys touched the ECU.. they just dropped the cams in, drove for 100miles to let the ECU adapt and then went to the track/dyno.

I call that a drop-in cam that makes power. Now, whether or not there was power still left on the table was unknown because we didnt do any specific tuning for anyone AFTER they dropped the cams in.

I have no idea why an Evotech ECU tune would not show power with the cams being dropped in.. Maybe the parameters they use require tweaking because of the radical cams??????

I know that Evotech is pretty aggressive on their timing maps.. maybe it is too much timing for this particular cam??

----------------------------------
Rocket,

Are you still getting surging and rough idle?? If so, that could be a misaligned cam.. if its off by 1 tooth the car will surge and shake a bit.

Also, if you want to take the cams out, I'll take them back.. no worries there. I just dont want you to go through all that if it can be fixed with an ECU remap...

Let me know what you want to do and I'll do whatever I can to help out.
Old 01-21-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by vrus
Guys,

I dont know what the issue is to be honest. I originally thought it was airflow related on the dyno so I suggested that Rocket takes it to the track to confirm..

Like I've said a few times, 2 cars had the cams installed and showed power and had no ECU retune (the rest havent gotten back to me so I have no idea).. BMS (SL55) was a Kleemann K2 car + my 80mm TB kit + VRP cams and the other was Rflow with custom ECU that we had done. Neither of these guys touched the ECU.. they just dropped the cams in, drove for 100miles to let the ECU adapt and then went to the track/dyno.

I call that a drop-in cam that makes power. Now, whether or not there was power still left on the table was unknown because we didnt do any specific tuning for anyone AFTER they dropped the cams in.

I have no idea why an Evotech ECU tune would not show power with the cams being dropped in.. Maybe the parameters they use require tweaking because of the radical cams??????

I know that Evotech is pretty aggressive on their timing maps.. maybe it is too much timing for this particular cam??

----------------------------------
Rocket,

Are you still getting surging and rough idle?? If so, that could be a misaligned cam.. if its off by 1 tooth the car will surge and shake a bit.

Also, if you want to take the cams out, I'll take them back.. no worries there. I just dont want you to go through all that if it can be fixed with an ECU remap...

2 good points Vic timing and 1 tooth off.
I will say I talked to a friend today (MBZ tech)about the 1 tooth off idea and he said hell no I would notice it and it would be worse than 10HP. he also went on to say some cams dont work with to much boost and maybe the EVO pully is to much????
what he did say was like tommy 2500 said check the timing. my cars runs decent kinda odd but I have no clue what it should run like? It has died on me once when I started it up and went into reverse but fired right back up.
I think I will wait for Oliver to look at it, if he comes anytime soon!

I have a great Idea after oliver looks at it and if its still the same I will ship my car to VRP have you guys swap the cams to stock dyno re swap to the VRP cams and dyno again. If I get the 25HP and car runs good I pay for everything (well Adam will,lol.) If not you guys pay for everything!

No one is comming straight out and sayin its the other persons fault but by Vic sayin if its one tooth off, that pretty much says its faulty install and by Adam sayin they make no power well its like hes sayin they make no power. Either way Im getting F-ed. I know neither of you guys are crooks and want my car to run great but the fact is its not. Im not tryin to start a thing between you guys either Im just tryin to get my car to run right. for all I know its something stupid like a vaccume hose thats not conected?
Old 01-21-2008, 01:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 EuroElites E55
Originally Posted by vrus
thanks bro. I hope my last post isnt outta line?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: never ever going to sac raceway again!