AMG horsepower wars over....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Wow this is unprecedented, I can't believe that the 63TT is dead in the water before it ever surfaced. Looks like the current 63 guys can breathe a sigh of relief.
Relief

I've been waiting for that 63 TT engine for ever now

I still don't think that AMG will surrender that easily
Old 01-23-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I feel like I finally found out the Mrs has been cheating.

You knew it all along, but it feels good to finally hear it straight up.

I need a drink and time to let this all soak in.

I guess my letter writing campaign would have been a waste of time after all.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
So, are you guys saying that even though Audi will make the TT V10 RS6 and BMW will make the TT V10 M5, Mercedes will continue to stay with the 500 hp NA 6.2L engine?????

It's just very hard to believe
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by vrus
Hmm.. that's weird... Coincidence??....

I just got a call from some German speaking guy asking me if I would be willing to build them a 6.3TT engine for their new car coming out... It was hard to make out what he was saying.. i heard bits and pieces of english words.... AMG..... Stuttgart.... 6.3.... Twin Turbo .... VRP .... build .... it.....

I guess they want to outsource???

There is a 6.3TT coming... Dont you worry... It will just have a different badge on the back, that's all..
Old 01-23-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Originally Posted by cte430
I agree. Don't see how this is "bad". Even Ferrari has determined that their future lies in light weight materials, improved efficiency, etc.

If you were told you can keep the same amount of HP but have a lighter car, just as comfortable, and a much more dynamic driving experience, you wouldn't want it?

This is "bad", b/c AMG is saying it'll play BMW M's game from now on. AMG cars always have been a luxury car with auto tranny & unreal amt's of power & torque. "f##k handling, let's bury em with massive power" approach. but now, it sounds like AMG wants to build BMW M copycats, and AMG will never come close/catch up to ///M.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Originally Posted by ProV1
This is "bad", b/c AMG is saying it'll play BMW M's game from now on. AMG cars always have been a luxury car with auto tranny & unreal amt's of power & torque. "f##k handling, let's bury em with massive power" approach. but now, it sounds like AMG wants to build BMW M copycats, and AMG will never come close/catch up to ///M.
I feel the same way... The E63 already feels it is partially playing the M5 game with its high rev horse power... which in everyday driving conditions is less useful/exciting to me than full turbo/super-charged torque at 1500 rpm... for those of us less interested in tracking or the twisties, the AMG torque monster approach is (was) ideal for real US roads... and the E55 the most "complete" AMG... I have ever owned... I am really glad I just bought a new S600 to enjoy turbocharged V12 power while it lasts...

Chris
Old 01-23-2008, 09:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
AMG throwing in the towel?

http://www.motorauthority.com/cars/m...power-war-over

Someone tell Audi and Cadillac!

It does though feel there is a sea-change slowly occurring... perhaps we really are starting to see the last gasp of over increasing HP numbers in volume sedan models at least? It was never going to be sustainable indefinitely...

Chris
I guess now I have a reason to pursue my dream. Buying an SLR motor and putting it in my E55. Welcome back AMG!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Say it aint so
Old 01-23-2008, 10:45 PM

2012 JDM
Fine, I'll say it, this is the most effed up sh*t I have ever read.

How about refining AND adding HP?!?! Now there's and idea...
Old 01-23-2008, 11:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Don't believe everything you read.

That sounds like politics talking...... I can imagine EU companies are under incredible green pressure right now.

If BMW and Audi continue big HP numbers I seriously doubt that Mercedes is going to just walk away.

AMG has a lead in HP and TQ. A focus on other areas may not be a bad thing....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL65, E55T, Pending S65
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
Couple points. I will get flammed for insulting the M113 motor but here I go.

The M113 was 30% cheaper to make than the M119 it replaced. It used cheaper castings for the block, the rods, pistons, crank etc. The M119 made more power and tq for a given displacement and it sounds light years better as well. The hallow cam shafts of the M113 make so much sound that they sound like they are 100k miles old when new. The M119 was SILENT at idle compared to the M113.

Now the M113k motor had upgraded internals but the budget to upgrade to AMG spec was very low. The blower at cost is what less than 1k? The marginal cost to go from M113 5.0 to M113k 5.5 was not that massive.

Now the 6.2L motor was built in house and shares no design with the 550 motor seen in the rest of the mb line. So the design, testing, and production costs are allocated over a much smaller number of units making the per unit cost far higher for the 6.2L unit. Plus the tappets in the 6.2L motor are more costly than a conventional valve train system plus there are twice the valves and twice the cam shafts when compared to the M113.

Now the TT 63 never came out because it was so costly to make. The original plan was for a 63 TT to be out long ago and the block, head, and other internals are made to withstand the stress of a 600+ hp motor. But the motor was so much more costly to make that adding turbos, intercoolers, additional cooling etc made the TT version to costly to bring to market.

There is a TT V8 coming but its not going to be a 6.2L motor with turbos hanging off the side like we all hope and dream for.
And were are you getting this info? Do you work for AMG? Some strong statements you are making.....
Old 01-23-2008, 11:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Interesting and makes some sense as you can only chase power for so long. They need to keep the current engines, add a better suspension, and get the weight down. Imagine an aluminum C63 that weighed in at 3600lbs...better fuel economy, faster acceleration, and better handling, not to mention more exotic.

I personally think AMG gave in to the masses when the 55K motors were phased out and sales reflect it. When I bought my C36 AMG, it was a special car for the time and they were very rare. Now AMG cars are becoming a dime a dozen like the Porsche turbo concept. When I owned my 930 it was special, when I owned my 996 GT3, it was reasonably rare and special. Now there are 996/997 turbos and 997 GT3s everywhere as they cater to the masses, not the die hard enthusiast. The M and S cars have suffered the same plight.

It will be interesting to see where this is all headed in the few years.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 AMG - - 2005 SL55 AMG - - - - - - 2006 SLK55 AMG - - - - - - 2013 Ducati Diavel AMG -
The AMG Horsepower War is NOT Over...

We Have AMGs and we will Always Be at War!

For GOD Sake Men, Stand Up and Claim Your Ground!

We just have to stay Ahead of the Game...

Modify, Modify, then ReModify...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
540 6spd
Originally Posted by Murtaza
They should focus on WEIGHT but it doesn't look like they will.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:33 AM

02 ML320 Sport, 04 350z,06 E350 4matic
"AMG cars always have been a luxury car with auto tranny & unreal amt's of power & torque."

Maybe MB should put that in a marketing campaign. We all know that BMW has been gaining on MB for a while now. What that says is that the consumer likes the game that BMW is playing. If MB wants to stay ahead they have to not only beat BMW at the game it set but do it with MB class. Only then will the consumer read positive reviews of MB beating BMWs and feel justified for ponying up the cash.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EVOTECH Mercedes AMG
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32

There is a TT V8 coming but its not going to be a 6.2L motor with turbos hanging off the side like we all hope and dream for.
+1,000,000. It will be the turbocharged M273 E55.

Watch out for the new V12.

Last edited by AdamG@NorCal; 01-24-2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2008, 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
How profound, give me bottom end torque ANYDAY over a 8000rpm useless power band for the strret. I want the umph off the line, where you can apprecieate it EVERYDAY. Not just for some rural area that I can wind her out on. AS the old man always said, "Nothing exceeds like excess" and you can NEVER have too much bottom end torque IMHO!!!

BRING BACK THE SUPERCHARGERS AMG

See yeah
Old 01-24-2008, 09:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
...give me bottom end torque ANY DAY over a 8000rpm useless power band for the street. I want the umph off the line, where you can appreciate it EVERYDAY. ........ you can NEVER have too much bottom end torque IMHO!!!
Right on!

The E55 is the "working man's" race car: commute to/from work; low-rpm blast past the traffic to find the "safe bubble of emptiness" on the streets/highway; "vacation roadster" at three digits speed on the open highway, and the frequent occasional pleasure cruise through the "horse farm" country side with mild "twisties."

I get to enjoy this car's magic every time I drive it, as opposed to a high RPM "true" sports car that needs to find a track-rental day to truly run hard. I get to a track once a year. I battle the masses everyday, and the "torque on demand at any rpm" is my friend.

And remember, these are all "good" problems to have.

Thanks guys. Keep rockin.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by KrisKeeney
I get to enjoy this car's magic every time I drive it, as opposed to a high RPM "true" sports car that needs to find a track-rental day to truly run hard. I get to a track once a year. I battle the masses everyday, and the "torque on demand at any rpm" is my friend.
All you do is downshift a gear or two (yep, remember gears) and you're in the powerband at any speed. Always funny to read the views of peole who clearly haven't even driven an M5.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Carl Lassiter
All you do is downshift a gear or two (yep, remember gears) and you're in the powerband at any speed. Always funny to read the views of peole who clearly haven't even driven an M5.
Thats always how I've felt. If you're racing or driving aggressive, you will downshift anyway. If you have an E55 and leave it in D and floor it, it will downshift so you can be at higher RPMs. Who really cares about the power under 3k? Idk, maybe its just me...
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Enlighten me on how you downshift at a stoplight
Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Didn't mean to offend you, Carl. Yes, I've driven an M5. Surprised to see you make accusations with zero factual basis. But hey, its a beautiful world, and beautiful economy: we have choices. I like what I like, which includes low rpm torque, and you like what you like, your Beemer and your Audi. No need to get nervous or defensive. They are all wonderful machines, and these tough dilemmas ("which car to buy," "which car is best") are good "problems" to have, problems that 99% of the earth's inhabitants will never share.

Peace.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
One question:

How do you down shift a gear from a STOP light

See yeah

PS: I did not own a M5, but did have a M3 and 2001 M roadster with the E46 engine

Update: Sorry Blackbenz you beat me to it my friend
Old 01-24-2008, 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Thats always how I've felt. If you're racing or driving aggressive, you will downshift anyway. If you have an E55 and leave it in D and floor it, it will downshift so you can be at higher RPMs. Who really cares about the power under 3k? Idk, maybe its just me...
The 90% of the time your stuck in traffic at any American city, thats who. Don't forget about the lovely lights now on EVERY street every 100 yards. Oh well, its all good. Differnt strokes for differnt folks, thats why they make em, and of course sell them.
I will take a AMG over the Bmw's anyday for my hard earned money, and yeah I did own 2 Bmw's "M", until I drove a AMG that is

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 01-24-2008 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 238 Likes on 184 Posts
R230 SL63 | W220 S55
Torque is useless unless you can put it to the ground The main issue with these E55's is traction; so much power your ESP light has a seizure whenever the car is really opened up. One thing to appreciate about the 63 motor is a more elastic powerband...and the fact that it is overall a tighter feeling car.

Everyone is pissing and moaning that AMG "threw in the towel" in the horsepower war. Did you guys forget the M275 V12...?

Mercedes/AMG is known for their indestructible motors. Even during its detrimental merger with Chrysler, the drivetrains still stood solid. Is it really so horrible that AMG will allocate its R&D costs to improving other facets of driving?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG horsepower wars over....