Sponsored by:

AMG horsepower wars over....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 02:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 E63S W212 Matte Gray
Originally Posted by HLG600
Is it really so horrible that AMG will allocate its R&D costs to improving other facets of driving?
not horrible at all
Old 01-25-2008, 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB, BMW
Perhaps AMG & MB got tired of reading this sorta cr@p from car mags..?

First of all, forget what you know about AMG [C-class] models: the relentless understeer, the heavy steering, the subtle styling additions, and the last-place comparison-test finishes.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
junk
Originally Posted by cte430
I agree. Don't see how this is "bad". Even Ferrari has determined that their future lies in light weight materials, improved efficiency, etc.

If you were told you can keep the same amount of HP but have a lighter car, just as comfortable, and a much more dynamic driving experience, you wouldn't want it?
well the fact is a MUCH lighter 4 door sedan isnt going to happen which f doesnt build obviously. there is just too much there. thankfully the gm's of the world will build what we want not what is pc. give me a 700hp sts with a warranty and ill sport the caddy crest happily. dont mean to offend anyone of the political persuasion but f ing leftists the world over have over hyped man made global warming to the point where its become a religion so jerkof** can prance around in their "hey look at me, i care toyota prius." google bono al gore speech from yesterday who summed it up exactly. and bono isnt exactly on romney or mccains side. pathetic...
Old 01-25-2008, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I guess now that I've time to let it sink in, we could still make something of this. Many of you are right. If Benz could knock a quarter ton off these bad boys and keep the hp the same, the car would really get up and jump. Wish it was cheaper, would love an all carbon fiber body Benz with aluminum frame. Not sure if it would work, but I bet you could pick the a-ss end up and move it if ya wanted to.

When all the 03's are near dirt cheap, I am still gonna take a whack at the TT600 motor in a 55.

RIP future hp and torque.......rest in peace.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
e55
Good maybe now that power has stabilized MB will address the other half of the equation: WEIGHT!!
Old 01-26-2008, 02:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i personally wouldn't care for a lighter car because i know i'm going to have to give up comfort, road absorption, and possibly safety to get it (weight and momentum are good things when coming up against all the suv's on the road!). and it's not like road quality across the u.s. is improving.

if i want a sports car for daily driving i'll buy one isntead of pretending my 4 door saloon is some sort of a crossover vehicle.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i personally wouldn't care for a lighter car because i know i'm going to have to give up comfort, road absorption, and possibly safety to get it (weight and momentum are good things when coming up against all the suv's on the road!). and it's not like road quality across the u.s. is improving.

if i want a sports car for daily driving i'll buy one isntead of pretending my 4 door saloon is some sort of a crossover vehicle.
+1000...When I bought this car I never had illusions that my 4200lb or so sedan w/Pano roof would match up with an M5 or P-car TT with regards to handling. It came down to exterior/interior appointments and torque for me...pretty simple stupid.

Like you said...if we really wanted our "handling" fetish satisfied we could and probably will buy a car that has the genetics. Heck...I used to have a Ford Focus hatchback and if the road was just made of all twisties and no straights, I'd kill my E55...but I think I'll move up to a GT3 next time.
Old 01-26-2008, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by chiromikey

+1

Even the sports cars of today are over weight,

1970 911r = 1780 lbs 245 HP.

2008 997 = 3075 lbs 325 HP.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by dc63er
well the fact is a MUCH lighter 4 door sedan isnt going to happen which f doesnt build obviously. there is just too much there. thankfully the gm's of the world will build what we want not what is pc. give me a 700hp sts with a warranty and ill sport the caddy crest happily. dont mean to offend anyone of the political persuasion but f ing leftists the world over have over hyped man made global warming to the point where its become a religion so jerkof** can prance around in their "hey look at me, i care toyota prius." google bono al gore speech from yesterday who summed it up exactly. and bono isnt exactly on romney or mccains side. pathetic...
How did you take my post and turn it into a global warming rant?

My point was that even Ferrari is realizing that to improve performance things other than just more HP may have to be looked into.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
I guess now that I've time to let it sink in, we could still make something of this. Many of you are right. If Benz could knock a quarter ton off these bad boys and keep the hp the same, the car would really get up and jump. Wish it was cheaper, would love an all carbon fiber body Benz with aluminum frame. Not sure if it would work, but I bet you could pick the a-ss end up and move it if ya wanted to.

When all the 03's are near dirt cheap, I am still gonna take a whack at the TT600 motor in a 55.

RIP future hp and torque.......rest in peace.
That was my point Jim. I didn't say to REMOVE HP but keep it the same at the least. How could the same HP with better dynamics, chasis, brakes, lighter, etc. be bad?
Old 01-26-2008, 02:10 PM

junk

My point was that even Ferrari is realizing that to improve performance things other than just more HP may have to be looked into.
no dude i wasnt ranting against you. the article stated mbz as being done with hp beacuse of EMISSIONS and such. i just used your quote as a jumping off point to say how much weight could you take out of a car thats a big 4 door until you double the price to shave off 500 lbs with super exotic materials. fact is our cars generally drive much much much less than most cars. ie 5-10000 miles a year. id take a 1000hp e99 that got 4 miles to the gallon and it would still put out less c02 than a prius that drive 25+k a year.
Old 01-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Administrator

Received 519 Likes on 111 Posts
Drives Slowly
I've also had a suspicion that you were a liberal-commie-tree-hugger ever since you traded your SCV8 for a six cylinder. Is a four-banger next or will you go with the 3-cylinder Smart car.
Old 01-26-2008, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by Rock
I've also had a suspicion that you were a liberal-commie-tree-hugger ever since you traded your SCV8 for a six cylinder. Is a four-banger next or will you go with the 3-cylinder Smart car.
Hey man, how's it going?! That Smart car has my name written all over it, huh?
Old 01-26-2008, 03:47 PM

1998 w202 C280
Saw one here in Santa Monica yesterday at a photoshoot.. Sweet.. The engineer was telling me that it's speed is only limited by the amount of power the car can carry...
Imagine a 7.9 second Electro-Benz.. Only have to make it 1/2 mile. Recharge and repeat.. No longer badging by Engine size, now by V/A?..