Sponsored by:

Dash Dyno - OBDII Gauge/Data Logging Tools

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Guys, I'll call the vendor tomorrow... but just to be clear, I'm gonna call Autoenginuity, not Dash Dyno, per Jakpro's and chiro's review.

You need a pocket PC/Palm if you want it to be portable.... I'll let you know whether AE would say pocket PC is slow like Palm.

So I'd guess there are around 5 ppl interested so far?

Me, neveo, joshd, jangy, nitrous nate.

Nitrous Nate:
Check this list.... http://www.autoenginuity.com/sensor_list.html
They claim all live sensors can be recorded simultaneously (not sure whether # sensors monitored would affect sampling rate)... So yes, O2 and IAT are there.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Mikey,
The starscan is read only, right? or would you be able to change things like the 10 degree fan setting, ride hight?
unfortunately the starscan through a/e will be read only...even though i begged for open control. mb won't release that to us without spending thousands on their scantool.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by zoink
Guys, I'll call the vendor tomorrow... but just to be clear, I'm gonna call Autoenginuity, not Dash Dyno, per Jakpro's and chiro's review.

You need a pocket PC/Palm if you want it to be portable.... I'll let you know whether AE would say pocket PC is slow like Palm.

Nitrous Nate:
They claim all live sensors can be recorded simultaneously (not sure whether # sensors monitored would affect sampling rate)... So yes, O2 and IAT are there.
I am in!!!!! Keep me posted on what the details are thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
I have been interested in this for a while now,but never got round to getting one.

Problem is my location or else i would be in on this group buy :-/
Old 02-07-2008, 06:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
Originally Posted by nitrous_nate
Will this AE unit record values of the o2 sensor for realistic air fuel ratios to tune off of??? If it does and you can sample and record iats too I AM IN!!!! Please anyone with this chime in and let me know Thanks
It records output voltages, but not the actual AF ratio numbers.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Zod
I have been interested in this for a while now,but never got round to getting one.

Problem is my location or else i would be in on this group buy :-/
It would do you good out there to figure out exactly what mods you really need.

You can buy one and send it to me and I'll send it overseas, if you'd like.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
DOOOOOOO EEEAAATATTTTTT ZOINK!!

I'm in. I'm not into arguing over the unit. You fellas know best, so lets do it.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kompressed55
It records output voltages, but not the actual AF ratio numbers.
How accurate is it? And how do you think A/F ratio should be calculated?

AE seems to get the A/F ratio by using "Wide O2 Band Equivalence Ratio". And from the AE sensor list, this could be done on each bank and each sensor.

Dash Dyno shows it could have "overall" A/F ratio as well as bank-specific A/F ratio.

My question: What A/F ratio that we usually see on dyno output? Overall?

Just want to make sure that I ask the parameters we are interested when I call later today.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:35 AM

06 e55 wagon

Nitrous Nate:

Yeah I'm in ... let me know ASAP. I'm getting a new I/C pump installed tomorrow and would like to be able to measure any differences in IAT.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Guys, I'll call the vendor tomorrow... but just to be clear, I'm gonna call Autoenginuity, ...
Find out when the MB specific module will be available.
They've been talking about it for more than 15 months and the date keeps slipping.

From Dec '07:
Just got a response from Autoenginuity that says MB module sometime in '09 - no specific release time by quarter, only '09.
Volvo comes first.

From a few days earlier:
A year ago someone quoted them as saying late in Q3, early Q4 of this year for the MB module.

I spoke with them in the spring and they backed off those dates by a year into '08. Now your latest info delays it further ... I think a trend may be developing.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:49 AM

05 e55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
They've been talking about it for more than 15 months and the date keeps slipping.

From Dec '07:
Just got a response from Autoenginuity that says MB module sometime in '09 - no specific release time by quarter, only '09.
Volvo comes first.

From a few days earlier:
A year ago someone quoted them as saying late in Q3, early Q4 of this year for the MB module.

I spoke with them in the spring and they backed off those dates by a year into '08. Now your latest info delays it further ... I think a trend may be developing.
hopefully not a case of vapor ware
Old 02-07-2008, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by DFW01E55

From Dec '07:
Volvo comes first.

From a few days earlier:

he's a small company but somehow is connected. it's my understanding from the conversation i had when we me that everything ford gets first priority so we have to wait until that's all done. i don't mind waiting cause it's not like anyone else is going to get "in" with mb.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Orrrrrrrr, you could say hello to my lil frien.....

Snagged a Mercedes STAR system off Ebay.

I few more bucks than regular datalogger but a blast to mess around with.

Got mine from this guy. Really nice unit.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Orrrrrrrr, you could say hello to my lil frien.....

Snagged a Mercedes STAR system off Ebay.

I few more bucks than regular datalogger but a blast to mess around with.

Got mine from this guy. Really nice unit.
Jakpro1
TOO COOL FOR SCHOOL

Tell us more, I have seen the one for $3500 now this one $2500/$1250 . What a deal. Correct me if I am wrong, but will that change the parameters in STAR for things like ride hight, xenon present, phone present, 10 degree fan setting, 91 to 93 octane tune ect? And all the MB diagnostics. And real time data logging @1ms intervals? That is the MB software and cables right?

Last edited by Yacht Master; 02-07-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
I have to check on the data logging on Star. I know if does a data log of O2 sensors, but I gotta find out what else. Just don't know enough about that yet. I do know that the info that streams to it is pretty fast.

Lots of fly by nights out there on Ebay so be careful. This guy was great. It is a fully functioning Star system with the massive Benz multiplexer box and brand new set of cables. Laptop is funny. It's the old IBM T30/40's with the red mouse button on them but it works GREAT!!. My tech was freaking when I told him. He has the touch screen systems at his shop now and just HATES them. Says they are very slow compared to the old laptop versions.

My favorite part on this so far is that you can go into the tranny and wipe out the old adaptations. Pretty much a real deal Sneaky ECU reset. Worked great. Read some codes that my car has been throwing and cleared them AFTER talking with my tech of course.

Loving this system. I bought the Auto Engin as well because I didn't think the Star data logs like we want. (graphs etc) I gotta dig deeper and see.

Edit....mine was around 2100-2300US$. You will see some prices on his site for around 2500. That is with the 08 update to the system I think. Mine was last updated late 2007. I have an 03 car so no worries.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 02-07-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alright guys, just called Jody @ AE. I thought it was a "he" LOL....

Anyway, here's the info... Meanwhile, I will PM the mods to get this group buy approved.

About the product
Version
There are 3 versions - PC, Pocket PC & Palm.
Like Jak said, Jody didn't suggest Palm as it's slow and already a bit outdated.

Pocket PC has the same functionalities as PC. But you cannot buy Pocket PC version and install it in your PC or the other way around.

If you want to do that, you need to purchase a pocket PC and a license (see pricing below), but you will not get the USB version. Only the serial.

Sampling Rate
Sampling rate is just like Jak told us... It depends on # of sensors you monitor. Manuel from AE claimed that 1-5 sensors should be close to RT (min. 55ms = ~20 samples/sec). I think Jak mentioned it's only 3-4 samples/sec. I'd guess it depends on the car.

6+ sensors usually only get 2 samples/sec. This is not because the software or your PC/PDA sucks... it's because the car's OBDII has a slow response rate.

Parameters
All parameters - Wide-band O2, IAT, ignition timing advance, etc. - are available. A/F ratio - just like kompressed55 said - is not available and could only be estimated from Wide-band O2.

Starscan
They expect (but cannot promise) this one will be available by end of 2008 or early 2009. Expected pricing is $150-230.

Group Buy Price
Min. purchase = 5. No more discounts even if we get 10 people.
Base software + cable + manuals (for PC/Pocket PC/Palm): $189.95 (reg. price: $249.95)
Dual license (must buy Pocket PC so you'll get the serial cable): $59.95 (no discount)
Bluetooth (backorder - will be available in 3-4 weeks): $99.95 (reg price: not sure).
Shipping: ~$14
Sales Tax: None if you don't live in AZ

==> What I forgot to ask is the free SpeedTracer, which should be included for free w/ this purchase. I'll ask Jody again tomorrow.

How it should work:
I should give and pay for the orders at the same time, and they would ship them at the same time to ONE address.

I don't mind being the contact person (collect the money, order them, and ship it to individual buyer).

That's all I need to say.... if you have any questions, post it here or PM me. If I cannot answer, I'll forward it to Jody.

Meanwhile, I'll PM the mods by end of day today (got to see a doctor now ). Once approved, I'll put the link over here or start a new thread.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Oh BTW, about the starscan, they told me that they may be able to adjust the parameters.... so not only reading. It's not a sure thing yet.... but cross your fingers.

If this is true, pretty much if you know what you're doing, you could tune your own car.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:13 PM

06 e55 wagon
Sweet, thanks for doing this. Let me know ... got the Johnson CM-30 in today and can't wait to start logging ...

Alright guys, just called Jody @ AE. I thought it was a "he" LOL....

Anyway, here's the info... Meanwhile, I will PM the mods to get this group buy approved.

About the product
Version
There are 3 versions - PC, Pocket PC & Palm.
Like Jak said, Jody didn't suggest Palm as it's slow and already a bit outdated.

Pocket PC has the same functionalities as PC. But you cannot buy Pocket PC version and install it in your PC or the other way around.

If you want to do that, you need to purchase a pocket PC and a license (see pricing below), but you will not get the USB version. Only the serial.

Sampling Rate
Sampling rate is just like Jak told us... It depends on # of sensors you monitor. Manuel from AE claimed that 1-5 sensors should be close to RT (min. 55ms = ~20 samples/sec). I think Jak mentioned it's only 3-4 samples/sec. I'd guess it depends on the car.

6+ sensors usually only get 2 samples/sec. This is not because the software or your PC/PDA sucks... it's because the car's OBDII has a slow response rate.

Parameters
All parameters - Wide-band O2, IAT, ignition timing advance, etc. - are available. A/F ratio - just like kompressed55 said - is not available and could only be estimated from Wide-band O2.

Starscan
They expect (but cannot promise) this one will be available by end of 2008 or early 2009. Expected pricing is $150-230.

Group Buy Price
Min. purchase = 5. No more discounts even if we get 10 people.
Base software + cable + manuals (for PC/Pocket PC/Palm): $189.95 (reg. price: $249.95)
Dual license (must buy Pocket PC so you'll get the serial cable): $59.95 (no discount)
Bluetooth (backorder - will be available in 3-4 weeks): $99.95 (reg price: not sure).
Shipping: ~$14
Sales Tax: None if you don't live in AZ

==> What I forgot to ask is the free SpeedTracer, which should be included for free w/ this purchase. I'll ask Jody again tomorrow.

How it should work:
I should give and pay for the orders at the same time, and they would ship them at the same time to ONE address.

I don't mind being the contact person (collect the money, order them, and ship it to individual buyer).

That's all I need to say.... if you have any questions, post it here or PM me. If I cannot answer, I'll forward it to Jody.

Meanwhile, I'll PM the mods by end of day today (got to see a doctor now ). Once approved, I'll put the link over here or start a new thread.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

FYI, I sent an email to mods to get approval on this group buy. Hopefully, they could approve it soon.

I will ask about the SpeedTracer... As for the final quote for shipping (from A/E to let's say my house), I think I need the final count first.

I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
FYI, I sent an email to mods to get approval on this group buy. Hopefully, they could approve it soon.

I will ask about the SpeedTracer... As for the final quote for shipping (from A/E to let's say my house), I think I need the final count first.

I'll keep you updated.
Thanks for doing all the leg work
I have 2 questions.
Will this work on any MB with the OBDII port?
Will the Starscan come out as a "stand alone" product?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

According to A/E, yes, it will work on ANY OBDII product. CAN would help in terms of data logging multiple sensors.

And yes, starscan will be a separate product. I think it's going to be like a patch if you purchase one and the end result after you upgrade the software w/ starscan will be fully integrated w/ the original software.

BTW, I haven't got any reply yet from the mods. Anyone had any experience proposing a group buy?
Old 02-12-2008, 11:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
bought it

I really like it. I like the clamp and gonna bring it somewhere to get the wideband sensor installed. Hooked it up and it connected right away.

I used to have a scangauge and for some reason it couldn't connect after a while. I think it was after the ecu was upgraded.

I'll test the data logging and dyno later. Just hooked it up tonight and haven't driven with it yet.

So those on the fence go ahead and get it!