Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Dash Dyno - OBDII Gauge/Data Logging Tools

Guys,

I came across this when searching for ScanGauge II alternative...
http://www.auterraweb.com/

It's more expensive than SGII (twice more expensive) but less expensive than AutoEnguinity... It has data logging, dyno charts and a lot more parameters than ScanGauge II... and still relatively compact.

Anyone has any experience? Any other alternatives?

If experience/review is good, I am thinking of proposing the mods to do group buys... I also found that Mini Cooper forum could get 10% discount w/ only 3 people.

Any interest?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
not that i've used those features but autoenginuity does all that and will have the ability to read starscan info in the future...and iirc i only paid $199.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think $199 is just the software & cable, no? And what is starscan? Something like SDS?

The only thing I don't like Autoenginuity is it requires either a laptop or handheld PC. I don't want to use a laptop.... too troublesome. Handheld PC may be good... but unfortunately, I don't have one

Dash Dyno seems to be able to mix between portability & feature.... for around $320 ($400 if you want suction cup & some GPS cables), I could get close to Autoenguinity features (analyze data logs on a PC) and SGII portability.

Other comments are welcome....
Old 02-06-2008, 04:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes, that's for the software and the obd11 cable. i prefer the large multiple readouts, graphs, tables, and abilities of using my laptop so it works much better for me.

starscan is the scanning software mb's use to communicate info on every single parameter or feature that's going on with the entire car's electronics. to be able to read everything will be invaluable and for that alone i wouldn't bother with any other data logger.

just mho.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Good enough for Chiro, good enough for me. Ordered mine yesterday and had them overnight it. Just got it. Can't wait to run over the Autotap. May even backup over it and run over it again.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Good enough for Chiro, good enough for me. Ordered mine yesterday and had them overnight it. Just got it. Can't wait to run over the Autotap. May even backup over it and run over it again.
LOL... what's wrong w/ Autotap? I did hear some rumors.... but can't remember.

Chiro:
Yeah... I think AutoEnginuity is cool.... do you know if I buy the pocket pc based, can I install the software also to review the datalog on a laptop/desktop PC?

BTW, do you find that all the features in AutoEnginuity measurable somewhere else, like A/F ratio, hp, tq, mpg, etc., quite accurate/consistent?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 e55 wagon
Originally Posted by chiromikey
yes, that's for the software and the obd11 cable. i prefer the large multiple readouts, graphs, tables, and abilities of using my laptop so it works much better for me.

starscan is the scanning software mb's use to communicate info on every single parameter or feature that's going on with the entire car's electronics. to be able to read everything will be invaluable and for that alone i wouldn't bother with any other data logger.

just mho.
yeah I'm sold ... ordering as soon as I get home from work ...
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
LOL... what's wrong w/ Autotap?
Maybe it was just my 2003 OBDII bus, but mine was slooowwwwwwwwww.

Even with just a few parameters open, I was seeing samples roughly once every 2-3 secs. You guys know that in a modded E55, that's like 5 samples and you are up to 150. I was lucky to even get that sometimes.

Just horrible. Went round and round with them at Autotap and just gave up.

Hopefully the Autoeng will give me some more samples. Keeping fingers crossed.

Actually can't wait. I gotta go out and see what it does now. Hang on .
Old 02-06-2008, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hold on hold on

May be we could do this as a group buy.... LOL. Saving some bucks here and there doesn't hurt, right?

Anyone else is interested? If I could get some consensus, I could give them a call and see.... they may not give any discount, but doesn't hurt to try.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Maybe it was just my 2003 OBDII bus, but mine was slooowwwwwwwwww.

Even with just a few parameters open, I was seeing samples roughly once every 2-3 secs. You guys know that in a modded E55, that's like 5 samples and you are up to 150. I was lucky to even get that sometimes.

Just horrible. Went round and round with them at Autotap and just gave up.

Hopefully the Autoeng will give me some more samples. Keeping fingers crossed.

Actually can't wait. I gotta go out and see what it does now. Hang on .
I'll be waiting

Yeah, sampling rate is another thing that I concerned.... I know SGII has 1 or 2-second interval.... not sure about this Dash Dyno.... how about AE (just short it.... too long )?

I wouldn't worry for monitoring temp (I won't go up like crazy in 2 seconds)... but something like ignition timing, A/F, etc. even 1 second is already too long.... (1 second is like at least 1000-1500RPM elapsed, right?).
Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Good news and some bad.

MUCH better than Autotap hands down. Very easy to use and software is just light years ahead.

With one parameter selected, I was getting around 2-3 samples per sec. Then as I added others it got slower. Had 4 going on a running graph (One O2 Sensor, RPM,Timing and IAT ) and don't quote me on this, but it seemed to be sampling around once per sec or just a tick less. Perhaps .8 sec or so.

That sound about right Chiro??

I gotta do some street logging and see what I come up with.

So far I give it thumbs up. Guy at Autoeng said that with Palm, it is even slower so I might skip the Palm setup if you want as many samples as possible. I am using standard mid range laptop going USB.

Otherwise compared to the Autotap it's a no brainer.

Last edited by Jakpro1; 02-06-2008 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-06-2008, 06:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it does perform better than the autotap but unfortunately it's our obd port that doesn't like to give out a lot of info rather than these data loggers being inadequate.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by chiromikey

just mho.
Mikey,
The starscan is read only, right? or would you be able to change things like the 10 degree fan setting, ride hight?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Good news and some bad.

MUCH better than Autotap hands down. Very easy to use and software is just light years ahead.

With one parameter selected, I was getting around 2-3 samples per sec. Then as I added others it got slower. Had 4 going on a running graph (One O2 Sensor, RPM,Timing and IAT ) and don't quote me on this, but it seemed to be sampling around once per sec or just a tick less. Perhaps .8 sec or so.

That sound about right Chiro??

I gotta do some street logging and see what I come up with.

So far I give it thumbs up. Guy at Autoeng said that with Palm, it is even slower so I might skip the Palm setup if you want as many samples as possible. I am using standard mid range laptop going USB.

Otherwise compared to the Autotap it's a no brainer.
Thanks Jakpro1.

BTW, what else did you talk w/ AE? How about pocket PC version (I won't buy Palm anyway... long story )? Is it also slow? I don't think CPU speed plays a big role.... OBDII transfers at most a few hundred bytes per second... should be no problem for recent laptop/pocket pc/palm.

Did you ask whether I could still analyze the datalog off line using my desktop PC if I buy pocket pc version? If so, that'll be perfect.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 PM

05 e55
uhm where can i order this?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Alright.... it seems there are already 2 who are interested.

I'll give them a call tomorrow and see whether a small group buy could give us some discount. If they could, I'll PM the mods to approve the group buy.

Neveo: http://www.autoenginuity.com/
Old 02-06-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Give the guy a shout. He was great to talk to. Think his name was Jody

Business Office: 1-480-827-TOOL (8665)
Meza AZ Time Zone (Mountain)
Old 02-06-2008, 10:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Jody, Huh,...finally some one else named Jody...just like me, Hehehehhe
Old 02-06-2008, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
01 CLK 430
www.dashDAQ.com

But hey, I'm just a guy with a 'regular' Mercedes....
Old 02-06-2008, 11:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
I'm in on the GB, if you guys can get something done. Vadim has me hooked on datalogging. Is there any way to get a flashbooster / datalogger combo? I'd pay more for that.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
www.dashDAQ.com

But hey, I'm just a guy with a 'regular' Mercedes....

You mean regular, as in non-AMG? LOL!!! I dunno who was mean to you, but that ain't how it works. There are plenty of memebers in here without E55s or even AMGs and they contribute all the time.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by jangy
You mean regular, as in non-AMG? LOL!!! I dunno who was mean to you, but that ain't how it works. There are plenty of memebers in here without E55s or even AMGs and they contribute all the time.
Not to me... And certianly not from you Jangy... A lot of people look up to you 55 guys but sometimes posts go unnoticed and a little feedback is all that's needed or wanted at times.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:20 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by Ghostrider
Not to me... And certianly not from you Jangy... A lot of people look up to you 55 guys but sometimes posts go unnoticed and a little feedback is all that's needed or wanted at times.
Bro, it is not something that is intended.
We just go over the smallest details over and over that sometimes some get grumpy when someone comes along after we've already beat that dead horse up. Clayton (Benzorama) comes in here all the time and he has a "normal" E, but is one of the brighter members.

Just keep posting and try not to take much of it personally. VIC taught me a few years back that you can not convey the true communication of a face to face in a post and that is true. What you may assume to be rude may just be oversight.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Will this AE unit record values of the o2 sensor for realistic air fuel ratios to tune off of??? If it does and you can sample and record iats too I AM IN!!!! Please anyone with this chime in and let me know Thanks
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01 CLK 430
Originally Posted by jangy
Bro, it is not something that is intended.
We just go over the smallest details over and over that sometimes some get grumpy when someone comes along after we've already beat that dead horse up. Clayton (Benzorama) comes in here all the time and he has a "normal" E, but is one of the brighter members.

Just keep posting and try not to take much of it personally. VIC taught me a few years back that you can not convey the true communication of a face to face in a post and that is true. What you may assume to be rude may just be oversight.
You got it Pimpin!!

And for the record I already know which cats are cool and which ones ain't.

Sorry for the

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dash Dyno - OBDII Gauge/Data Logging Tools