W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno Testing Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 04:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Question Dyno Testing Questions

Well, me and my cousin are going to dyno our cars on Friday, and I was wondering besides Hp, and torque, what else do we need to pay attention to, excuse my ignorance, but do you also get timing when you do a dyno, and is there certain safe or good numbers for A/F mix, and Timing that the cars should stay within, and would the dyno place be able to tell us what's safe and what's not, or is every car different, hate to sound like an idiot, but hey one way to find out.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 e55
Originally Posted by BallzyS55
Well, me and my cousin are going to dyno our cars on Friday, and I was wondering besides Hp, and torque, what else do we need to pay attention to, excuse my ignorance, but do you also get timing when you do a dyno, and is there certain safe or good numbers for A/F mix, and Timing that the cars should stay within, and would the dyno place be able to tell us what's safe and what's not, or is every car different, hate to sound like an idiot, but hey one way to find out.
i thought you guys were going to go to your tuners this friday and discus getting your car fixed... why not wait until you find someone experienced do this for you... or use the search feature that can both educate and confuse ....

Last edited by neveo; 02-07-2008 at 10:22 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 02-07-2008, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Only thing most people ask for at the dyno shop is for them to run Air Fuel ratios. They should snag it at the tailpipe with a clamp. If they can't it's not essential, just helps to know how the engine is running with the tune.

Other than that, not much else they will sample on a standard dyno run.

One thing you will need to figure out is how to get both cars in dyno mode. Otheriwise the car will sense front wheels stationary and back wheels spinning and shut you down. I have no idea it the procedure is different on S55 and 65;s than the E55's. Perhaps a quick search or post in those forums and ask them.

They will also put a "pickup" on the spark plug wire, they can either use driver or passenger front plug wire. Our cars are hard to get spark signals off of so be warned. If he can't get a spark signal, you might be dead in the water. Worst case scenario, see if he will do a "wheel speed run". That just calculates hp/torque through speed on the dyno. That's if all else fails.

Other than that, you dyno in M mode in 4th gear with tranny. Bring it slowly up in mph until you can get the car into 4th and when the dyno guy tells you to punch it, punch it. When the dyno guy tells you to let off, DO NOT stomp the brakes. Just let the car slow down on it's own. Some dynos will brake the car for you.

Car will heat up very fast so you will only be able to get 2 or 3 runs in before it gets pretty hot. You will see hp decrease slightly with each run and that is normal heat issues. You can try to wait 10 mins or so between runs but it won't help a lot.

When you get the runs down, scan um and post them up here. Lots of guys with knowledge that can give you their input.

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 S55 AMG, 03 SL55 AMG, 02 S430(sold), 05 F150, 06 Ranger, My baby 07 HD Rdking
Originally Posted by neveo
i thought you guys were going to go to your tuners this friday and discus getting your car fixed... why not wait until you find someone experienced do this for you... or use the search feature that can both educate and confuse ....
well I can't comment on the tuning part anymore, as the moderators were not happy, so all I can say is that we're doing the dyno so our own reasons, and when we get a resolution we will let everone know, and we'll also post the dyno results as soon as we go.

Last edited by BallzyS55; 02-07-2008 at 02:21 PM.