W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of watches do my fellow E55 brethren wear?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 01:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Few pics:

It is a PITA to get good watch photos...the Perrelet is *stunning* in person, but I've yet to get a pic that really captures it (the hairy wrist shot is the best attempt), and the Crosswind is tough as well...I wanted to capture the way the light plays off of it when it hits it "just so", but couldn't manage to capture it the way my eyes see it...still, they are at least in the ballpark.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-03-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 01:55 AM

2005 e55AMG
Any ideas on yanking the AMG clock out of the dash, replacing it with an actual useful gauge (boost? IAT?) and taking the clock face as a wristwatch?

I kid. (but only kinda..)

Nothing fancy here...used to wear a Omega Seamaster Chrono Titanium and

now a *cough* tag 8500 series...indy 500 chrono. Honestly I get more complements on the damn tag. And it was only $300 :-)

When I was a caddy/assistant at a country club back in 1995, I found a diamond bezel platinum rolex president next to the 7th hold Tee box... It was engraved and belonged to family (through marriage) so I didn't even think twice about finding the owner. I was given a crisp $20 reward but wore it for about 3 hours before he had time to come pick it up. I was 15 years old at the time and talk about feeling like a million bucks. The owner said it didn't keep time well at all, and was actually wearing a rubber nike watch when he did come around.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:30 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Improviz
Hey Improviz, how come your Chronomat doesn't have that nice 1/4" gap between the head and first links of the band?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
Hey Improviz, how come your Chronomat doesn't have that nice 1/4" gap between the head and first links of the band?

Actually, it is a Crosswind (44 mm), not a Chronomat (40.5, when I got mine anyway). I was ahead of the curve on the oversize watch trend I guess...
Old 06-03-2009, 09:35 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
I think you'll be fine with the Wolf, they're excellent winders. Most Rolexes are supposed to be wound in the "both" position, except the Daytona for some reason, maybe the chrono is different. Nice thing about owning Rolexes in DFW is that you can just drive down there to the service center when they need it & save yourself $100 in insured shipping.

Glad you liked Kirby's. They shut the one up there in Plano down, much to the chagrin of my buddies who live nearby!! I think it was the arrival of Bob's up in the Lakes of Legacy or whatever that did them in, NOT due to better steaks (imo), but location, location, location...and now they've gone bankrupt, wonder if they'll shut that down as well (no loss for the Planoites imo ). One wonders if Kirby's wishes they'd toughed it out for a bit longer, though...
Where is the Rolex Service Center located? TIA. I think I will take your advice in 4 years when mine are due for a service and make the trip myself.

Speaking of Kirby's, there is one in Southlake and a Bob's in Grapevine, so, as you are aware, they are very close to each other. I have been to both. I used to think that Bob's was good, but after a trip to Kirby's I think they are not even in the same league. I would think that that Bob's could be on the endangered species list soon.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
Where is the Rolex Service Center located? TIA. I think I will take your advice in 4 years when mine are due for a service and make the trip myself.
Here you go:

They are just fabulous, fantastic customer service.

Originally Posted by Can Drive 55
Speaking of Kirby's, there is one in Southlake and a Bob's in Grapevine, so, as you are aware, they are very close to each other. I have been to both. I used to think that Bob's was good, but after a trip to Kirby's I think they are not even in the same league. I would think that that Bob's could be on the endangered species list soon.
Yeah, I agree. Bob's is good and has nice ambiance, but Kirby's just rocks my world, *much* better steaks (and salad, and sides, and..) imo.
Old 06-03-2009, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
I concur. I've been a Breitling afficionado for years now, and a few things about this watch bother me:

1) the gap. Breitling watches DO NOT have gaps like that between band and case, period. They fit tightly, and further that band has a curvature that would be absent in Breitling.

2) the hands are black. On a real one, they are silver.

3) the subdials are colored differently than the face; on that model afaik they are the same; they certainly are the same on the ones I see on Breitling's website.

4) there seems to be more glare in a dead-on shot than I'd expect given that Breitling crystals are anti-reflective coated inside and out.

5) seller states he's preparing to send it in for servicing, but the warranty papers he produced indicate a late MY 2007 watch, which at less than two years should not need servicing; factory recommended interval is five.

6) why is reference number being visually scrambled on the papers? I can see why one would not want to put the serial number out there, but the reference number is the model number, so one can't even verify that those papers are correct for this particular style of Chronomat Evolution.

mbenz06, how about you RTFM and figure out how to use "macro" mode on your digicam so we can get some detailed, non-blurry close-ups, flip that thing over and take a few pics of the caseback and band near the caseback, and some off-angle pics so we can see the anti-reflective coating's blue glow? And some actual close-ups of the dial, from a few angles, would be nice...but the hands alone and the gap are, to me, sufficient to cast doubt on the watch's authenticity, particularly since its black hands match perfectly the replica's but not the genuine article.

Originally Posted by CWW
I dunno, man, something just looked "off" about that watch at first glance. Look at the gaps in between the watch head and the top links of the band. It's a SS band, so it shouldn't have any stretch like what your pics show.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-05-2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:35 PM

'
1) the gap. Breitling watches DO NOT have gaps like that between band and case, period. They fit tightly, and further that band has a curvature that would be absent in Breitling.
Look at how I was holding the watch. Another angle...

2) the hands are black. On a real one, they are silver.
Reflection of the camera. Hands are stainless steel.

3) the subdials are colored differently than the face; on that model afaik they are the same; they certainly are the same on the ones I see on Breitling's website.
Not sure what you mean by colored but it does have a diamond dial and is Mother of Pearl.

4) there seems to be more glare in a dead-on shot than I'd expect given that Breitling crystals are anti-reflective coated inside and out.
Okay...

5) seller states he's preparing to send it in for servicing, but the warranty papers he produced indicate a late MY 2007 watch, which at less than two years should not need servicing; factory recommended interval is five.
Still haven't taken watch in to be serviced but I have worn the watch only a few times and the rest of the time it's been in my safe. Since it is still under warranty and having a watch just sit around without movement prevents it from keeping time accurately, I decided to send it in before the watch was sold. Also wanted to get all the scratches buffed out.
6) why is reference number being visually scrambled on the papers? I can see why one would not want to put the serial number out there, but the reference number is the model number, so one can't even verify that those papers are correct for this particular style of Chronomat Evolution.
I would rather play it safe. I was told only the A133 is what all these watches start with and that is what I left from the papers. As I stated before, if you need anymore information, feel free to ask.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
A few points:

Originally Posted by mbenz06
Look at how I was holding the watch. Another angle...
Maybe, but I can't replicate that gigantic gap on mine, and that is a signature of fakes (see link at bottom of this response)...

Okay...
The AR coating on the outside of that lens should preclude any glare when photographing it....not sure if your camera is just screwed up or it was a focus thing, the newer pics look a bit better, though, but again, looking at the comparo I stuck at the end of this article, that is a difference one wants to be wary of....

Still haven't taken watch in to be serviced but I have worn the watch only a few times and the rest of the time it's been in my safe.
Were you sanding the few times you wore it?? It seems to have an awful lot of scratches for just a few times out:

Since it is still under warranty and having a watch just sit around without movement prevents it from keeping time accurately, I decided to send it in before the watch was sold. Also wanted to get all the scratches buffed out.
Firstly, these watches sit in dealers' cases for lengthy periods of time, in some cases months or years, without being sold, and I can promise you that they're not sending them off to be serviced beforehand, so this is not requisite for the watch to keep good time...if it's been stored with care, i.e. wound once in a while, and kept free of things magnetic, it should be fine. If it's out of COSC specs, they'll take care of that for free in any case.

Secondly, I have a hard time swallowing that you managed to get it that scratched up just wearing it "a few times"; I got mine back from the servicing center *months* ago, wear it at least twice a week, and it's not even remotely scratched up in the same way as that one.

I would rather play it safe. I was told only the A133 is what all these watches start with and that is what I left from the papers. As I stated before, if you need anymore information, feel free to ask.
Come on, you're blurring out only the last two numbers there...do you think that Breitling has only produced 99 Chronomats in the decade or so over which they've been producing this watch?

Do some research, as you said earlier, or better still, look at the paperwork that you posted (which has BOTH the model and serial numbers blurred out). A133 tells *nothing* about what specific model the watch is; rather, it indicates that the watch is:
A - all stainless steel:
13 - the caliber of the movement (Caliber 13)
3 - COSC certified.
http://www.breitlingsource.com/artic...asebacks.shtml

See the chronomat evolution partway down? That's a B13356, which is a Navitimer with caliber 13 movement, in stainless steel, 18K gold rider tabs, crown, and pushers. A B13355, otoh, is a Crosswind, equipped the same way.

Here's an article on Breitling reference numbers.

So "A133" isn't really telling anyone anything; Breitling has produced multiple models with the Caliber 13, in stainless, which are COSC certified. I will, however, note that in the PM you sent, I can see the full model info on the case back, and it matches the model in question; posting the paperwork with the model info un-blurred would at least help your case, though it would be no substitute for authentication by a pro of course.

Anyway, if anyone buys this (or any watch online), I hope they pay in some manner (paypal?) which allows them to chargeback if the article doesn't pass muster, then take it straight to an authorized dealer or watchmaker and have them pop of the caseback to verify the movement; as you can see, the fakes are astonishingly good these days:

Note that in the side-by-side pics of the two Evos (fake and genuine) in that article, the fake item has a substantially larger gap between the end link and the first band link than the genuine one, and that its AR coating isn't as good as the real one, so these are certainly valid questions to be raising.

Also, I looked at the photos in the PM you sent, and there are some things that raise questions, but I'm still researching. Point here is that the fakes available of the Chronomat Evo are quite good, so caveat emptor is the thing for any potential buyers to keep in mind, with this or any other used watch.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-07-2009 at 02:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:35 AM

'
I understand there are a lot of fakes out there... I am not familiar with them seeing how I have never owned one. If anyone wants references, speak with Entizy1 as I'm sure many of you know him. The watch is real, yes it is scratched up even though it spent most of it's time in a safe. Watch was worn to parties. Never worn during the day or at work (have my rolex for that). The watch was purchased at tournoue (sp??) in south coast plaza and I have a receipt for it. Original price before tax was $13,500 which is what I paid. I have the receipt in hand with matching serial number. Watch is still at my house and hasn't been serviced so if u dont want it to be serviced, get it before I send it in. I am getting the watch buffed out so don't worry about scratches.

Please no more questions about the authenticity of this watch. I will only make a transaction at a bank and any doubts the buyer still might have I will address.

Last edited by mbenz06; 06-07-2009 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:50 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
This is getting fishier and fishier...

You keep blurring out all the numbers on your pictures and on the paperwork. Then you claim that even though you've intentionally removed all useable information, they somehow prove the authenticity? Ya that really makes sense.

And why do that? What do you have to gain? There's no way that anyone can ever identify you just by showing a model number on your watch. They have sold hundreds of thousands of chronomats, it's not like the model numbers are any secret to begin with.

The only point in doing that would be because the model number on your watch doesn't match the options it has, or because the model and/or serial numbers on the watch don't match the paperwork. I can't think of any other good reason why someone would want to obscure those numbers. Nobody can identify you from that information.

That would be like me taking pics of my watch, and obscuring the "1803" on it claiming it's for privacy. Please, nobody can tell me apart from the entire state of New Jersey who all have a president (to match their corvettes and velvet paintings of frank sinatra).

Humor aside, I do have to admit your second set of pics looks a lot better than the first, but you're still smoking a pipe with that $10k price. It didn't sell for that much new. I said before you were asking 3X what that watch is worth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Auto-Breitl...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-BREITLIN...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://www.watchesonnet.com/A1335611...l?id_partner=4

So I dunno, man. You come on here trying to sell a ridiculously overpriced watch with crappy photos that make the thing look as fake as can be, and of course people are going to be a little skeptical. Even you have to admit, the watch looks like a total chinese knock-off in your original set of pictures. It does look real to me in your last set though. But the difference between the first pics and the last pics is so huge, you almost wouldn't believe it's even the same watch. The first set pics made it look really fake. And then by continuing to post more pics that blur out all the model and serial numbers, it's just making things worse.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:28 AM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
24 year old Rolex Submariner. The markers have turned an off white now, but I have not bought another watch. This is my only watch and has been everywhere. Time is acceptable unless I let it sit on my dresser for a few days. Never had a winder however. It is serviced once every 4 yrs. I just got another nick on it yesterday brushing up against concrete - I think it will buff out.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:55 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by Wish4_e55Wagon
24 year old Rolex Submariner. The markers have turned an off white now, but I have not bought another watch. This is my only watch and has been everywhere. Time is acceptable unless I let it sit on my dresser for a few days. Never had a winder however. It is serviced once every 4 yrs. I just got another nick on it yesterday brushing up against concrete - I think it will buff out.
There's a guy in Arizona who does complete restorations/overhauls on Rolexes with OE parts. He does a fantastic job, and pretty cheap too. It's been a few years since I used him, but IIRC the name of the place is "Best of Time". Hit him up, he can fix your dial and your scratches.
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by CWW
There's a guy in Arizona who does complete restorations/overhauls on Rolexes with OE parts. He does a fantastic job, and pretty cheap too. It's been a few years since I used him, but IIRC the name of the place is "Best of Time". Hit him up, he can fix your dial and your scratches.
In fact in that case he will probably have to go to an independent watchmaker, as afaik Rolex doesn't service movements that are greater than 20 years of age...or was that 30, dang....anyway, OPOSST (Original Poster Of Submariner Side Threead ), check into this before boxing and sending (or driving if you live near one) to your nearest RSC.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
Hey boys... I got a new watch which I'll post a pic of later (It's a 10K gold automatic vintage Hamilton), but it's a b**** setting the time/date so I need a winder. I need one that can wind 4 watches at a time...and I need it to be cheap. I found some for $70 on ebay but I'm wondering what you guys think.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-BLACK-WOOD-4...lenotsupported

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 12:49 AM

04 - 06 e55 Wagon - looking for
A trusted family friend was doing the service for me and he was outsourcing it. I'm afraid there may be one or two items that are not OEM. From what I understand, if I box this up and ship to Rolex and they find a few non OEM parts they will decline to repair / service and may just ship the watch back parts and all. I really don't care who services the watch and it doesn't have to be fixed 'officially' - just as long as it is done right. I'd like to have the dial refaced along with the dots on the bezel replaced before I pass it to my son. On second thought, I'm actually growing found of the off brown color
Old 06-08-2009, 01:15 AM

W211,E90,E66,E39,E38,NSX,Z32-TT
My watch is the iPhone.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Wish4_e55Wagon
A trusted family friend was doing the service for me and he was outsourcing it. I'm afraid there may be one or two items that are not OEM. From what I understand, if I box this up and ship to Rolex and they find a few non OEM parts they will decline to repair / service and may just ship the watch back parts and all. I really don't care who services the watch and it doesn't have to be fixed 'officially' - just as long as it is done right. I'd like to have the dial refaced along with the dots on the bezel replaced before I pass it to my son. On second thought, I'm actually growing found of the off brown color
Swissluxury.com does servicing for $350 as I recall, and they're probably not as picky about OEM as Rolex is.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by CWW
This is getting fishier and fishier...

You keep blurring out all the numbers on your pictures and on the paperwork. Then you claim that even though you've intentionally removed all useable information, they somehow prove the authenticity? Ya that really makes sense.

And why do that? What do you have to gain? There's no way that anyone can ever identify you just by showing a model number on your watch. They have sold hundreds of thousands of chronomats, it's not like the model numbers are any secret to begin with.

The only point in doing that would be because the model number on your watch doesn't match the options it has, or because the model and/or serial numbers on the watch don't match the paperwork. I can't think of any other good reason why someone would want to obscure those numbers. Nobody can identify you from that information.

That would be like me taking pics of my watch, and obscuring the "1803" on it claiming it's for privacy. Please, nobody can tell me apart from the entire state of New Jersey who all have a president (to match their corvettes and velvet paintings of frank sinatra).

Humor aside, I do have to admit your second set of pics looks a lot better than the first, but you're still smoking a pipe with that $10k price. It didn't sell for that much new. I said before you were asking 3X what that watch is worth:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mens-Auto-Breitl...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/GENUINE-BREITLIN...3%3A1|294%3A50

http://www.watchesonnet.com/A1335611...l?id_partner=4

So I dunno, man. You come on here trying to sell a ridiculously overpriced watch with crappy photos that make the thing look as fake as can be, and of course people are going to be a little skeptical. Even you have to admit, the watch looks like a total chinese knock-off in your original set of pictures. It does look real to me in your last set though. But the difference between the first pics and the last pics is so huge, you almost wouldn't believe it's even the same watch. The first set pics made it look really fake. And then by continuing to post more pics that blur out all the model and serial numbers, it's just making things worse.
price aside and in all fairness, people block out serial/series numbers on watches all the time...from ebay to timezone, so it's not a big deal.

to get back on track, here's a crappy pic of what i'm wearing today...

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 PM

05 E55t, 07 R63, 04 Mini R53 (SOLD):01 s4 avant st3, 06 q7
omega 007

It is a PITA to get good watch photos...the Perrelet is *stunning* in person, but I've yet to get a pic that really captures it (the hairy wrist shot is the best attempt), and the Crosswind is tough as well...I wanted to capture the way the light plays off of it when it hits it "just so", but couldn't manage to capture it the way my eyes see it...still, they are at least in the ballpark.

is that a stock strap on you 007 omega..
i was told that I can not replace the rubber ones.

Is that stock leather strap on your 007 omega.
I was told that the rubber strap cannot be replace.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by 55wagon
Is that stock leather strap on your 007 omega.
I was told that the rubber strap cannot be replace.
No, it isn't stock (so whoever told you it can't be replaced was wrong; Omega frowns on it, but it's my bloody watch and I'll do as I like with it! ). That's the strap for a standard PO, like it because it's a bit dressier than the standard strap, plus it has a deployment clasp (don't like buckles). I also have a SS PO band that I got for it just to mix things up a bit; here's a stock photo of a non-Bond PO with one:
Attached Thumbnails What kind of watches do my fellow E55 brethren wear?-po-bracelet.jpg  

Last edited by Improviz; 06-08-2009 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Well…. I was on a Teleconference Call, got board, saw this tread and decided to grab the majority of me and my wife’s watches for a quick photo….

I think I just realized that we have a watch problem…. Foock

Tag-Heuer Link Caliber S
Tag-Heuer Aquaracer with mother of purl face and 10 diamonds set at each number
Tag-Heuer Formula 1
Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust
Other watches – Quicksilver, Nike, Seiko, Guess, ESQ….. and others….

… and the TAG SLR that was just sold….

…. My wife is actually selling her Rolex

https://mbworld.org/forums/miscellan...ml#post3564328
Old 06-08-2009, 03:32 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL600
Originally Posted by chiromikey
price aside and in all fairness, people block out serial/series numbers on watches all the time...from ebay to timezone, so it's not a big deal.
This guy blurred out the model numbers in addition to the serial. That's a bit fishy.

And I would have agreed with you maybe 5 years ago that it was OK to blur out a serial number when selling a watch, but not anymore. 9/10 times, the first thing people want to know is the serial number so they can verify it, and google it to see if there are reports of replicas using that #.

In this day and age, nobody buys a $4k item off eBay without a serial number. Go look at Chrono Evo's on eBay, they all disclose the serial number, including the auctions I posted the links to. This guy's asking $10k for a watch and won't disclose the serial. LOL, ya, good luck with that.

P.S., Nice Ulysse. I always liked those, when I was a kid they used to have these glossy full-page spreads in Power & Motoryacht and I got hooked on the blue/gold look. Beautiful watch!
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
My Breitling Bentley GT. I love it!!! I just got it refinished, I use it everyday. It came back perfect!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 PM

05' E55 AMG
CWW and IMPROVIZ-
I am neighbors with Mbenz06, i have known him for years, i went to high school with him, and we are good friends. You guys are both taking this way too far.

First of all, the watch is authentic. I was there when he purchased it from Tourneau in South Coast Plaza Mall in Costa Mesa, CA

Second, you do not work for Breitling, and therefore should not be posting your opinion as though it was undisputable evidence against Mbenz06's watch being fake.

Third, I highly doubt by the nature of your posts that either of you are the least bit interested in buying this watch. So why post questioning the validity of the watch?

Fourth, If you think the watch is overpriced, why not leave that to the disgression of the buyer, who I am sure is savvy enough to pay to have Breitling authorized dealer inspect it for authenticity. That is the beauty of capitalism.

Fifth, we are in an economic crisis and if he decides to blur anything it is for his own protection. He has done his best to satisfy both of your incredible posts with pictures addressing each and every issue. Give him a break.

Sixth, If there is someone who is interested in purchasing the watch, a fellow forum member can meet at a watch store, etc... to validate the authenticity of the watch.

Lastly, It is frustrating for me, and it isn't even my watch! I know it is real. You guys are being ridiculous. I wouldn't be surprised if both of you are attorneys jeeeezus. If you think it is fake, don't buy it. If you think hes worn it more than a "couple times" who cares. I understand there are alot of scammers out there, but there is no reason to label Mbenz06 as such.

-Neil

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What kind of watches do my fellow E55 brethren wear?