W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does brand of GAS matter ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 03:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2010 E550.. Gone but never forgotton - E63 AMG..
Does brand of GAS matter ?

Do you guys always go to the same gas station for gas ? On the inside of my gas cover it reads " Mobil1 unleaded recommended " I usually go to Amoco or Sunoco, fuel up 93. Does it matter ?

Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
A lot of people like Union 76 in California.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by ESIX3POWER
Do you guys always go to the same gas station for gas ? On the inside of my gas cover it reads " Mobil1 unleaded recommended " I usually go to Amoco or Sunoco, fuel up 93. Does it matter ?

Thanks
I stay away from Sunoco, becasue they use 10% methanol. Cheap octane boost, but it DOES lean out the mixture a little. Keep in mind that when you use Methanol vs GAS you need TWICE as much, Stociohmetry wise. Oh yeah, I can't spell either

See yeah
Old 02-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It matters very much. Each grade of gas has certain impurity standards. Many of the "buyers" from the better brands will use their leverage (big accounts) to only buy "cleaner" bulks.

For example, the law allows up to a certain amount of water in the gas. A study was done to see exactly how close to the limits some of the venders were at. The results were AMAZING!!

Chevron - 6 stations tested, none over even 1%
Arco (AM/PM) - 10 stations tested, not one was UNDER 8%

The testing was performed in various states and over a span of 9 months. This was one small university test. there are large $$ tests going on all the time.

You can either do your research, or just go ahead and get the "better" gas and save yourself the hassle.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:58 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
04 SL55, 16 GTs, 17 GLS 63
Since June of 2006 all fuel sold is 10% ethanol, no more methanol. With that being said, ethanol and water do not blend well together at all. A certain amount of water was acceptable with the methanol blend, but not anymore. Water is heavier than fuel, so it stays at the bottom of the tanks. Now with the 10% ethanol, before a truck can unload any fuel at a station, they must perform a stick test with paste on the stick that turns red if there is water present. If so, they will not deliver the fuel until the water is removed, period! The reason being is that water in ethanol will alter the octane readings throughout the tank. For example, if the tank is 50 inches in height, the top 10 inches may be the 87 or 93 octane, but the next ten inches will be 77, then 67, so on and so forth. It would ruin ten thousand gallons of fuel, which today would cost $28,960.00 delivered in MA.
Now, as for brands, the only thing different from brand to brand is the detergents and additives that each put into their mix. The fuel all comes from the same place!

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'12 ML350
I started using Shell petrol almost exclusively a couple of years ago after reading about the Top Tier detergent gasoline (check out www.toptiergas.com).

Besides, I got tired of contributing to Exxon/Mobil's massive record quarterly corporate profits...

And starting around the same time I switched to Shell, most of the Mobil stations in my area that I used to frequent became Lukoil branded outlets - which were all apparently owned by Conoco/Phillips - never realized that even the petroleum companies were such twisted mazes of licensing and cross branding.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 PM

E63 AMG 2010, Black, Pano, P2
Originally Posted by rkao
I started using Shell petrol almost exclusively a couple of years ago after reading about the Top Tier detergent gasoline (check out www.toptiergas.com).

Besides, I got tired of contributing to Exxon/Mobil's massive record quarterly corporate profits...

And starting around the same time I switched to Shell, most of the Mobil stations in my area that I used to frequent became Lukoil branded outlets - which were all apparently owned by Conoco/Phillips - never realized that even the petroleum companies were such twisted mazes of licensing and cross branding.
What is wrong with record profits??? Isnt that the whole point of capitalism
Old 02-15-2008, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I only use Shell or Chevron. They're both certified as "Top Tier" gas on www.toptiergas.com. However, I did my own testing on my previous Acura between Arco and Chevron a couple of years back, and did indeed get better gas mileage and a slightly smoother ride.

What surprises me though is how come Mobile 1 is NOT on the list
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by amgnut
Since June of 2006 all fuel sold is 10% ethanol, no more methanol. With that being said, ethanol and water do not blend well together at all. A certain amount of water was acceptable with the methanol blend, but not anymore. Water is heavier than fuel, so it stays at the bottom of the tanks. Now with the 10% ethanol, before a truck can unload any fuel at a station, they must perform a stick test with paste on the stick that turns red if there is water present. If so, they will not deliver the fuel until the water is removed, period! The reason being is that water in ethanol will alter the octane readings throughout the tank. For example, if the tank is 50 inches in height, the top 10 inches may be the 87 or 93 octane, but the next ten inches will be 77, then 67, so on and so forth. It would ruin ten thousand gallons of fuel, which today would cost $28,960.00 delivered in MA.
Now, as for brands, the only thing different from brand to brand is the detergents and additives that each put into their mix. The fuel all comes from the same place!

Sorry for the long post, just thought I'd share
You missed my point. The "stick" test is simply a "limit" detection. It is not quantitative. You are correct that ALL gas meets the MINIMUM criteria, but that does not mean they are comparable for our purposes.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Those in California also need to keep in mind that our gas has anti0oxidants added to it for the EPA. At first, we had it only in the winter, but I think it is year round now.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Top Tier?
BS, Not one of you know who Top Tier is.
Did anybody receive a letter from Mercedes, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi telling you that they recognize Top Tier and the fuel retailers they list? Did they point out that the 4 web page site is the end all, regarding fuel? Have you seen a logo-sticker that states this fuel is Top Tier approved?
One thing is for sure, they are not a classification society, yet they quote more than one.
Sorry guys I don't buy what Top Tier is saying, however Chevron is among my top fuel choices, and Techron is a great product.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Top Tier?
BS, Not one of you know who Top Tier is.
Did anybody receive a letter from Mercedes, BMW, General Motors, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen and Audi telling you that they recognize Top Tier and the fuel retailers they list? Did they point out that the 4 web page site is the end all, regarding fuel? Have you seen a logo-sticker that states this fuel is Top Tier approved?
One thing is for sure, they are not a classification society, yet they quote more than one.
Sorry guys I don't buy what Top Tier is saying, however Chevron is among my top fuel choices, and Techron is a great product.
Actually Chevron does recognize Top Tier, well at least here in California. Toyota and Honda have said that they reccomend Top Tier gasoline.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
04 SL55, 16 GTs, 17 GLS 63
Originally Posted by jangy
You missed my point. The "stick" test is simply a "limit" detection. It is not quantitative. You are correct that ALL gas meets the MINIMUM criteria, but that does not mean they are comparable for our purposes.

I understand your point and all about "top tier", but I also disagree to a certain extent. Not trying to start a pissing contest here, but I will disclose a little bit of info. I own several gas stations in MA, a couple branded, a couple unbranded or independant. You would be very surprised as to how many times the truck is delivering "brand A" to a "brand B" station...It happens all the time! I don't think its right at all either. As a franchisee, I am obligated to buy from my corporate supplier, but they turn around and send me whatever they can get their hands on? It is complete B.S. and that is why sometimes you never know what you are getting at a particular station.
I know that we all want to use the best in our cars, the point I am making is that sometimes you aren't getting what you think you are.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Thanks for the inside info...very interesting
Old 02-15-2008, 06:08 PM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I only use VP Racing's MS 109!
Old 02-15-2008, 07:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by AlbertM
What is wrong with record profits??? Isnt that the whole point of capitalism
No, actually its not. That's greed.
Anyway back to the topic.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by amgnut
I understand your point and all about "top tier", but I also disagree to a certain extent. Not trying to start a pissing contest here, but I will disclose a little bit of info. I own several gas stations in MA, a couple branded, a couple unbranded or independant. You would be very surprised as to how many times the truck is delivering "brand A" to a "brand B" station...It happens all the time! I don't think its right at all either. As a franchisee, I am obligated to buy from my corporate supplier, but they turn around and send me whatever they can get their hands on? It is complete B.S. and that is why sometimes you never know what you are getting at a particular station.
I know that we all want to use the best in our cars, the point I am making is that sometimes you aren't getting what you think you are.
Thanks for the information, not sure how one can use it but it's "good to know". Sort of like the blind bottle water tests, people that like Evian for example were choosing the tap water...

Now for a tip when buying gas. If you ever see the big tanker at the station filling up the tanks, drive the hell the other way. Filling the tanks stirs up all the grime, sediment, and water so if you fill up at the same time there is a good chance you get "bad gas". I try to fill up Saturday morning since the stuff has probably settled overnight and the tanks are full for the weekend traffic.