Sponsored by:

BS Warranty denial b/c Renntech pulley

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is Sick as Fu*k
WOW, I just took my car to the dealer today because the same thing happend to my car on the left rear side...my cars not modded...Ill keep you guys updated... skeeter did the broken part affect the way your rims would sit?
Old 05-07-2008, 08:51 PM

2005 E55, Renntech Pulley, ECU
Hey PG,

Didn't notice the rims sitting differently, though it makes sense that they would. I mainly noticed the car making slight noise when I accelerated or braked. Like a squeak/pop noise, worse when the roads were wet. The dealership took a while to properly diagnose the problem, which is strange as it is easily noticed when the car is up on a lift.

Keep us posted!

Skeeter
Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
You two need to get in touch with MBUSA and get a lawyer. This is a fairly common problem from what I am seeing. Class Action anyone? I am sure that would change their minds in how they pursue this matter.
Old 05-08-2008, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
Originally Posted by Skeeter
Hey PG,

Didn't notice the rims sitting differently, though it makes sense that they would. I mainly noticed the car making slight noise when I accelerated or braked. Like a squeak/pop noise, worse when the roads were wet. The dealership took a while to properly diagnose the problem, which is strange as it is easily noticed when the car is up on a lift.

Keep us posted!

Skeeter
YEAH mine would make those damn noises allllll the time...like a squeaky, knocking noise....ILL def let you guys know wsup
Old 05-09-2008, 04:04 PM

Yo PG,

If that sound is coming from the driver's side rear tire area, I'm VERY confident it is the same thing. Keep me in the loop! Damn, the more of these I find out about the more ammo we'll have.

Aparently the driver's side is the only one that fails. Must be related to the way the engine/driveline torques the car or something...

Skeeter
Old 05-13-2008, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

is Sick as Fu*k
SKEETER...it was exactly what happend to your car...Its been at benz for a week NOW...and they said I need to give them another Week or two...Ill keep you posted...Scary Sh*t....I hit 100+mph on a regular...Imagine if that thing went out
Old 05-13-2008, 04:15 PM

Holy CRAP that is scary. FREAKING MBUSA SUCKS! How could they NOT cover this under warranty! DAMN! I hope they take care of you, bro. I'm sure they will, you aren't modded after all... But please email me your receipt and I'll forward it to my lawyer.

Thanks for the update. Don't let them take your car for more than a week once it has been diagnosed; it is not a huge job. They need to order the part I posted recently (the subframe connector insert). But once that comes in (four days or so), it should be finished within a day.

Good luck,

Skeeter
Old 07-17-2008, 08:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Bump...

Is there any news on progress/outcome for this saga?
Old 07-17-2008, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by D Bst
Bump...

Is there any news on progress/outcome for this saga?
+1

It's been about 2 months since the last update
Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 PM

Bad to no progress. My lawyer is doing very little if anything. I'm unable to fully disclose what's going on, but lets just say that I haven't had any real movement. I have some additional ammo and will be sending out demand letters next week and will give you all the inside scoop as soon as I can.

Sorry to hold my cards so close to the vest, but you'll all see why shortly.

Thanks to all,

Skeeter
Old 07-24-2008, 05:25 PM

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG; 1995 Porsche 993 Cab.
Keep the fight going .... was just interested to hear what the state of play is/was.

Best of luck!
Old 08-02-2008, 07:39 PM

Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is any third-party warranty company that'll sell an extended warranty on an E55 with mild mods? Just a pulley/ecu from Renntech, nothing wild, and the car is never raced or tracked. Is it possible to get a warranty with this written into the warranty, or is the hope that they won't find out or won't care about the mods (though officially able to deny coverage to powertrain damage if they want to) my only option?

This is a really big deal... When I had the pulley installed, Renntech told me POINT BLANK that they'd 'take care of me' if any complications arose with MB and the pulley wouldn't present a problem. But you all know how that story goes and Renntech wasn't willing to offer me more than a pat on the back and a 'good luck' when the shoot hit the fan.

I'd gladly pay a premium, but is this not something that is offered by anyone, at any price? You'd think with proper research, an ambitious company could assess the risk of the modifications and increase the price accordingly, wouldn't you? Hmmm sounds like a business plan

I'm at 48k and torn... I can't own this car without a warranty, and need to keep it to pursue my legal claims. Finding someone who will offer me a warranty with the mods means I don't have to remove the RT stuff and return the car to stock to avoid the risk of being screwed TWICE. No fun!

Skeeter
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Hey all,

Does anyone know if there is any third-party warranty company that'll sell an extended warranty on an E55 with mild mods? Just a pulley/ecu from Renntech, nothing wild, and the car is never raced or tracked. Is it possible to get a warranty with this written into the warranty, or is the hope that they won't find out or won't care about the mods (though officially able to deny coverage to powertrain damage if they want to) my only option?

This is a really big deal... When I had the pulley installed, Renntech told me POINT BLANK that they'd 'take care of me' if any complications arose with MB and the pulley wouldn't present a problem. But you all know how that story goes and Renntech wasn't willing to offer me more than a pat on the back and a 'good luck' when the shoot hit the fan.

I'd gladly pay a premium, but is this not something that is offered by anyone, at any price? You'd think with proper research, an ambitious company could assess the risk of the modifications and increase the price accordingly, wouldn't you? Hmmm sounds like a business plan

I'm at 48k and torn... I can't own this car without a warranty, and need to keep it to pursue my legal claims. Finding someone who will offer me a warranty with the mods means I don't have to remove the RT stuff and return the car to stock to avoid the risk of being screwed TWICE. No fun!

Skeeter
I believe your only hope is to keep it secret...keep it safe.

Make friends with your SA and Tech and it will never be an issue.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Hey all,

Skeeter
I'm not so sure if RennTech was at fault here? They've installed many pullies (so did other companies with even more aggressive pullies and mods), and none had the same problems you've experienced. And like you said in earlier posts, there were even stock vehicles that experienced that same problem, so I think Mercedes should've covered the claim in the first place not RennTech
Old 08-03-2008, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Its clear that Mercedes needs a tuner like Dinan that will cover them 100% without any BS. Until then, you have to decide for yourself whats more important to you: performance or warranty.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM

MB Forever, I don't doubt that the pulley wasn't at fault. Nevertheless, Renntech told me IN WRITING that they'd 'take care of me' if MB asserted warranty trouble over the pulley. And they did not. In fact, I told them that I wouldn't be proceeding with the pulley install because of fear of warranty trouble. Their written assurances were the only reason I went ahead and had the pulley put in, only to have a nice Status 8 put on my car because of the pulley, and the subsequent refusal to fix the sub frame connectors. So I do have a problem with RT, since they were in point of fact unable to 'do' anything for me when push came to shove with MB.

But this is another story and I'll post a full write-up when the dust settles.

Surely there must be SOME warranty company that doesn't care that I've put in a mild pulley to add a touch more boost... Guess not. My only course is to remove the pulley, have the computer returned to stock, and then get a warranty I guess. The costs from this mod keep stacking up. Fun...

Skeeter
Old 10-09-2008, 12:06 AM

05 e55
just curious if you were able to make some headway with MBUSA or the SF dealer?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
GLC 63 S AMG / Corvette C8 / Jaguar SVR
Also Id like to know how much the bill was, being that it wasn't covered
Old 10-09-2008, 02:07 AM

Gimmie aday or two and I'll catch you all up, k?

Thanks for the interest. What a freakin' nighrmare!

Skeeter
Old 10-09-2008, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Gimmie aday or two and I'll catch you all up, k?

Thanks for the interest. What a freakin' nighrmare!

Skeeter
Very interesting case.....
Old 10-09-2008, 06:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Very interesting case.....

Yup, am very interested also.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:17 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
I have to agree with Renntech, this just isn't their problem.

This exact issue has been reported multiple times on cars that were 100% stock, so it seems pretty clear that their pulley had nothing to do with it.

The OP's problem is with MB dicking him around and trying to weasel out of what is clearly a valid warranty claim, and not with Renntech.
Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 AM

e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
update?
Old 03-13-2012, 11:55 PM

06 cls 55 amg
I broke this 2 xs in one year warranty didn't cover it . It cost 2300 for sub frame my car is stock cls 55 06