Sponsored by:

Service your car at a independent shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 E55
Service your car at a independent shop?

I did some research but haven't really gotten a clear understanding of the tradeoffs. First of all, I have always taken my car to the dealer for service.
I just recently learned about an independent shop that has a good reputation working on euro cars that is much closer to my house than the dealer. I just wanted to get some feedback/comments from those who have considered or have taken their car to an independent shop rather than a dealer for routine maintenance.

Is it a bad idea if you are still under warranty? My car only has 20k and is under warranty for another few years.

In addition to saving some bucks and increased convienence, I'm thinking I might get better care for my car since I'll have a dedicated guy for the most part getting to know my car rather than the assembly line approach at the dealer.

Any input is appreciated.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Originally Posted by gthang
I did some research but haven't really gotten a clear understanding of the tradeoffs. First of all, I have always taken my car to the dealer for service.
I just recently learned about an independent shop that has a good reputation working on euro cars that is much closer to my house than the dealer. I just wanted to get some feedback/comments from those who have considered or have taken their car to an independent shop rather than a dealer for routine maintenance.

Is it a bad idea if you are still under warranty? My car only has 20k and is under warranty for another few years.

In addition to saving some bucks and increased convienence, I'm thinking I might get better care for my car since I'll have a dedicated guy for the most part getting to know my car rather than the assembly line approach at the dealer.

Any input is appreciated.
pro with indy...you keep the mb warranty if the car is modded..without the drama of 88 the car if the dealer is not mod friendly oh and less hourly rate

con with indy.......

does the indy have a sds? any experience on late cars?how long in biz?referals? if no on any of the above...pass
Old 02-20-2008, 09:50 PM
JKK
Almost a Member!

Audi AS4
The first thing to look at for an Independent is if they have the MB Star (WIS/DAS) system. You really can't work on a modern MB without one. If they have the proper tools then it boils down to thier reputation and how long they have been doing it.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by JKK
The first thing to look at for an Independent is if they have the MB Star (WIS/DAS) system. You really can't work on a modern MB without one. If they have the proper tools then it boils down to thier reputation and how long they have been doing it.
+1

And remember Mercedes Benz dealers train some of the best Indies in the world. It is a natural progression, the dealers can't hold a good tech with skills.

Ya that is a newbie working on your new car at the dealership he is in training and in 3 or 4 years he will realize his worth and be gone.
This is why you can't see who is working on your car at the dealership.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:11 AM

05 E55
My neighbor has had his Porsche serviced at this shop. I spoke with them and they do have all of the tools needed to work on MB. Their hourly rate does seem to be about the same as the dealer. I need to find some other AMG owners that bring their car in for service at this shop.

Anybody in VA use Curry's Auto Service?
Old 02-21-2008, 09:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
My neighbor has had his Porsche serviced at this shop. I spoke with them and they do have all of the tools needed to work on MB. Their hourly rate does seem to be about the same as the dealer. I need to find some other AMG owners that bring their car in for service at this shop.

Curry's in Chantilly is pretty good. I used them for alignments, ordering rims/etc.. have not used them for repairs though.

I have been using Fairfax Service Center next to Fairfax BMW for all MB related work since I have had german cars. When my cars were under warranty for free maintenance, i took them to dealers. Upon expiration, i took them to FSC for all maintenace and routine work. They only specialize in Benz,BWM, and Porsches and it's owned by a master MB mechanic w/ the all the tools. Plus you can actually talk to the mechanic working your car in the garage and get some interesting insights.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:49 AM

2003 E500
I take it to a local Mercedes-Benz mechanic and they always give top notch service with great prices.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
i have a good shop in Santa Clara that only works on BMW and MB and has been in biz for over 25 years. Two brothers own the shop and their mechanics have been with them for years. Asked them the other day when I had the 202 in there about working on the E and they said no problem as they do have the star diag which led me to the next question of lowering the car.

and they are honest which is really random. family has been going to them since 86 when my father in law had his 300E.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
04 E55
Would you mind posting the name of this shop in Santa Clara as I am also in Silicon Valley.
Old 03-01-2008, 02:07 PM

2003 Evo VIII
Indy service

If anyone is looking for an Indy shop in south florida C2 Designs is a one of a kind operation.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C63S

I've used Curry's (the one by dulles airport) for several of my previous cars (including using the awd dyno multiple times with my sti) but with my benz I've only taken it do the dealer (Hbl)
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Originally Posted by Boost&Cubes
Would you mind posting the name of this shop in Santa Clara as I am also in Silicon Valley.
Motospeed West in Santa Clara. Ken and Bill are the owners. Good service. Shop is definitely old school - not all pretty like the dealership but they know their cars. Service only MB and BMW. 408-727-6631
Old 03-01-2008, 08:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
HBL..service dept.

All,

Just a couple of thoughts for us Northern VA/DC/MD area guys/gals.. I had my SL serviced for it's 'service A' at HBL in Tysons. As some of you on the forums, I had some pretty negative experiences at ASC and basically had to get rid of my CL500 that i bought there b/c of the issues i found w/ their CPO process and inept service department. Long story..another time..

Moving on, now i am driving an SL. I didn't buy it at HBL, but did service my past CLK at HBL with good results. Since this car is still under new car warranty, with complimentary service in effect, I decided to make an appointment few days ago and instantly got a saturday appointment, 8am. kudos to HBL for a prompt professional customer service..

I get there and to my surprise, no waiting around no long lines..no drama with the service advisor. My advisor greeted me and asked me all the right questions, took notes on what needed to be done.. He asked if i needed a loaner, i asked what was the ETA on the work. he said no more than 2 hours. So I decided to wait. Their customer lounge was very nice, appointed with expresso machines, 70' plasma, herman miller chairs.. one of the better lounges in the area.
Exactly at 10am, my advisor comes to me in the lounge, says, everything looks fine w/ the car.. service A complete, car wash done, all technical bulletins checked/confirmed on the car.. hands my keys.. i am out the door at 1015am. my bill, nada.. i am quite pleased.

Just wanted to share my experience, since alot of people have differing opinions on local dealerships. From a comparasion standpoint, I really think HBL has stepped up their service dept, and the focus is customer service. From the valet guys, service advisor, to their Service Dept Mgr.. all have been very accomodating and responsive. This is a definately refreshing from my past experiences at other dealerships. If you guys have any particular questions.. drop me a line.. have a great weekend!!

-Amer
Old 03-02-2008, 06:40 AM

2017 C63S
Originally Posted by djamer
All,

Just a couple of thoughts for us Northern VA/DC/MD area guys/gals.. I had my SL serviced for it's 'service A' at HBL in Tysons. As some of you on the forums, I had some pretty negative experiences at ASC and basically had to get rid of my CL500 that i bought there b/c of the issues i found w/ their CPO process and inept service department. Long story..another time..

Moving on, now i am driving an SL. I didn't buy it at HBL, but did service my past CLK at HBL with good results. Since this car is still under new car warranty, with complimentary service in effect, I decided to make an appointment few days ago and instantly got a saturday appointment, 8am. kudos to HBL for a prompt professional customer service..

I get there and to my surprise, no waiting around no long lines..no drama with the service advisor. My advisor greeted me and asked me all the right questions, took notes on what needed to be done.. He asked if i needed a loaner, i asked what was the ETA on the work. he said no more than 2 hours. So I decided to wait. Their customer lounge was very nice, appointed with expresso machines, 70' plasma, herman miller chairs.. one of the better lounges in the area.
Exactly at 10am, my advisor comes to me in the lounge, says, everything looks fine w/ the car.. service A complete, car wash done, all technical bulletins checked/confirmed on the car.. hands my keys.. i am out the door at 1015am. my bill, nada.. i am quite pleased.

Just wanted to share my experience, since alot of people have differing opinions on local dealerships. From a comparasion standpoint, I really think HBL has stepped up their service dept, and the focus is customer service. From the valet guys, service advisor, to their Service Dept Mgr.. all have been very accomodating and responsive. This is a definately refreshing from my past experiences at other dealerships. If you guys have any particular questions.. drop me a line.. have a great weekend!!

-Amer
That's exactly how my visits to HBL have gone as well......
Old 03-02-2008, 09:30 AM

05 E55
I've actually had great service at HBL as well for the past few years. I live out in Loudoun County so getting to Tyson's takes some effort, which is part of the reason I was looking at local independent shops. I did have a terrible service experience at ASC so I will never go back there again.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
04 E55
Originally Posted by baldmike73
Motospeed West in Santa Clara. Ken and Bill are the owners. Good service. Shop is definitely old school - not all pretty like the dealership but they know their cars. Service only MB and BMW. 408-727-6631
I will give them a call.

Thank you.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:11 PM

2017 C63S
I've actually had great service at HBL as well for the past few years. I live out in Loudoun County so getting to Tyson's takes some effort, which is part of the reason I was looking at local independent shops. I did have a terrible service experience at ASC so I will never go back there again.

yea, I'm out in Loudoun too (Cascades) and hate Rt7 but that's the one trip I don't mind taking when its due
Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
E63 AMG, E60 M5
i go to the dealer only for warranty work. Mechanic for maintenace. Just as good and cheaper.