W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car magazine: M3 vs 997 Turbo vs R8 vs GTR article.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2008, 06:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Like the evo 8 the R35 will have it's time in the spotlight and then people will move on. IMO people don't buy a 911TT just for performance only. the 911 is a car that challenges the drive to perform where the R35 does everything for you with no effort. anyone can be a great driver in the R35, but not in the 911TT. also, not just anyone can get a 911TT. the build quality in the porsche is top notch and it comes off as the true gentlemens sport car. R35 comes off as 3D playstation.

the R35 is an incredible car and if I felt that I had something to prove to the world I would buy one. I really like my E55. even thoe there are cars that are a lot faster it feels stately and mature. not to the point of feel old, but to the point of feel right. to prove my point go jump in a mustang and drive it for a week and see how you feel.

not that the mustang is a bad car, but the E55 is a great car for what it delivers. even my mother-in-law 72 years old told me this is a REAL mercedes when I took her grocery shopping and she's had more than a few herself.

I really like the R35, but the little kid in me really wants a 997 TWIN TURBO. know what i mean.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
'21 GLC63, '19 M5
996 or 997 TT all the way. A classy car with amazing quality, finish, and appeal. GTR to impress your neighbor's boys. A porsche to impress your neighbor's wife... That came out wrong, but you guys know what I mean.
Also, I wouldn't want to be in a position to want or have to prove to anyone what the GTR is. The Porsche speaks for itself. Besides, I agree with what was said about the dealers, they are total dicks about selling this car. Some deadbeat on the lot has an opportunity to sell a GTR instead of a Sentra and they just get way too ahead of themselves.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by kipper215
Like the evo 8 the R35 will have it's time in the spotlight and then people will move on. IMO people don't buy a 911TT just for performance only. the 911 is a car that challenges the drive to perform where the R35 does everything for you with no effort. anyone can be a great driver in the R35, but not in the 911TT. also, not just anyone can get a 911TT. the build quality in the porsche is top notch and it comes off as the true gentlemens sport car. R35 comes off as 3D playstation.

the R35 is an incredible car and if I felt that I had something to prove to the world I would buy one. I really like my E55. even thoe there are cars that are a lot faster it feels stately and mature. not to the point of feel old, but to the point of feel right. to prove my point go jump in a mustang and drive it for a week and see how you feel.

not that the mustang is a bad car, but the E55 is a great car for what it delivers. even my mother-in-law 72 years old told me this is a REAL mercedes when I took her grocery shopping and she's had more than a few herself.

I really like the R35, but the little kid in me really wants a 997 TWIN TURBO. know what i mean.
Great post and I agree with you. While the GTR is a great performing car and Nissan should be commended, the fact is I've never dreamed of owning a Nissan. Hate to say it but it's true. I've dreamed of owning a TT and have also dreamed of owning a Ferrari. A F430 is probably my next car. Even though the GTR may perform better than both cars.

Now, if I had a race track in my back yard or all I cared about was what car did the fastest lap then maybe I'd get the GTR.

I find it amusing that many will focus on what times a magazine can get with a given car. Do people really make a buying decision based on this?

The intersting thing about this article is that it states that the 997TT is a "more engaging ride" or something to that effect. That's interesting as the TT has been pounded as being too easy to drive, boring, the car is driving you, etc. Especially when compared to other cars like the GT3, F430, etc. If the TT is truly more engaging to drive then the GTR that ain't saying much for the "fun factor" of the GTR.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 563 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by RLPIII
Also, keep in mind that those 2 (viper & vette) don't handle and corner as good as the others, so even though they are fast in a straight line, I don't think they would do so well on the track used in the article.
Someone needs some continuing education here. Vipers and Vettes have been making Prototypes look dumb for years at Le Mans. Bottom line is you can't beat light weight and gobs of displacement.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Real life is usually from a "roll", so GTR would get easily spanked by Z06 or a Viper. The only advantage the GTR has over these cars is AWD, which is useless and will only hurt at at highway speeds.

As far as comparing tuned cars with stock cars, its not a valid comparison at all. No matter how tuned the GTR is, it will not stand a chance against tuned vettes and vipers. You can buy a used corvette or viper and get them to 800-1000hp at the same cost as the new GTR too.
Point conceded. Nothing beats a fire-breathing vette or viper. I just don't think they're remotely safe cars, at least for the area I live in. I've seen a bunch of them cracked in half and every time my pops takes me for a ride in his Lingenfelter 427 I have to tap out after the second corner.

I still love the GTR because hell, I've always wanted one. It's no 997TT, but it comes close to the performance for half the money and that is an awesome feat. Besides I need a daily driver that I don't have to panic about every time I leave it (like I do with the M5).

And I KNOW I can make that thing look sexy as hell.

Last edited by Cylinder Head; 03-05-2008 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
on the other hand, i bet 997tt + better suspension + DSG = ownage for GTR. Soon to come probably.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Point conceded. Nothing beats a fire-breathing vette or viper. I just don't think they're remotely safe cars, at least for the area I live in. I've seen a bunch of them cracked in half and every time my pops takes me for a ride in his Lingenfelter 427 I have to tap out after the second corner.

I still love the GTR because hell, I've always wanted one. It's no 997TT, but it comes close to the performance for half the money and that is an awesome feat. Besides I need a daily driver that I don't have to panic about every time I leave it (like I do with the M5).

And I KNOW I can make that thing look sexy as hell.
I'll be right there along with you...but I think I'll have to jump on the V-spec ...plus I'll sit back and wait for engines to blow so I know how to mod the car properly. If I do get a GT-R, it's gonna be boosted to hell.

What year is your dad's 427? You talking about the oldschool 60's one or the '06+? LPE and a 427 sounds scary as hell.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
I'll be right there along with you...but I think I'll have to jump on the V-spec ...plus I'll sit back and wait for engines to blow so I know how to mod the car properly. If I do get a GT-R, it's gonna be boosted to hell.

What year is your dad's 427? You talking about the oldschool 60's one or the '06+? LPE and a 427 sounds scary as hell.
It's an '03. Started out as a regular ol' Vette, and I told him he couldn't leave it stock. Then it began, first HRE's, then the Le Mans light kit, then the borla exhaust, then, "Hey dad where's your vette?" "Oh I uh....sent it away to uh....Lingenfelter...."
Old 03-05-2008, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Originally Posted by BoBcanada
on the other hand, i bet 997tt + better suspension + DSG = ownage for GTR. Soon to come probably.
simple suspension mods for the TT are already there. I've already done techart springs with the alignment specs for the GT3 and it's a VERY different car. I'll probably go to full coilovers in the spring.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:12 PM

06 E60 M5
The M3 should't be in his test. CLK 63 Black would have been so much more interesting... and expensive...
Old 03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
I'd love to get the GT-R but dealers want wayyy to much over MSRP..but man that will be one sweet ride..
Old 03-05-2008, 03:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
It's an '03. Started out as a regular ol' Vette, and I told him he couldn't leave it stock. Then it began, first HRE's, then the Le Mans light kit, then the borla exhaust, then, "Hey dad where's your vette?" "Oh I uh....sent it away to uh....Lingenfelter...."
630hp n/a package, eh? From the above, plus what you've told me about him (how he taught you to drive stick)...seems like you got a pretty cool dad.

And Chris...your ride is still boss. Don't sweat it, you got nothin' to prove. Car must handle like a dream now. I'll probably check it out at a Captree meet or something.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
This is an interesting discussion that seems to be popular these days.

I've had a long history with GTRs, even before this current R35, and I have to admit I've had my doubts about this one. In the end, I decided to replace my B7 with an R35 - should be taking delivery in July/August. I understand the 997TT vs GTR arguement, and as someone who's priced both out - you can praise the 911 all you want, but some people seem to downplay the $140,000 (what I priced my 997TT out at) vs $80,000 (with markup). That's something people tend to forget, although I will admit money isn't everything.

The 997TT has the better mystique, the better panache, the better image, and yes - it's the car some dream of when they were young, but people seem to forget when they were young the 911 had a clear position in the world, it was in a place where few others could reach - and the reality is, that position has been getting chipped away slowly but surely. The reality is the 997 has a LOT of competition these days and this competition is not only gaining ground, but apparently according to some, losing ground to the competition.

In my case, the GTR fit better into the picture, I don't have an unlimted budget for cars and I decided to replace the S4 with the GTR and make the "expensive" sports car an SL65. Along with the E55 this lineup I feel gives me good balance and overall an exciting array of cars each with very unique and enjoyable personalities.

-m