Heat Exchangers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 AM
SPONSOR

Received 129 Likes on 92 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by Zod
in a nut shell has one actually been proven to be better?
If you are running high pressure (like in a turbo IC, not in our HE), then a bar and plate will be better.

A bar and plate has better internal aerodynamics, and a tube fin has better external aerodynamics. Everything being exactly equal, the bar and plate will have a lower pressure drop (by like, 1% if that), but the charge air will be hotter and will be more prone to heat soak because of the poorer external aerodynamics. However, you can overcome the poor internal aerodynamics by using a core with more rows, making it better in both aspects than the bar and plate. Which is what we did.

If you are upgrading your intercooler, then you should use a bar and plate design. If you are wanting to upgrade your heat exchanger, then you should use a tube and fin because of its low pressure.

Hands down our tube and fin HE will outperform even the slightly larger bar and plate unit on the market. Not to mention that it costs half the price.

LET Motorsports has done extensive research on this and we have teamed up with C&R Racing, who is known for providing the same cores we purchased to the top Nascar teams.

Call David Bridges @ C&R if you care to hear his opinion on bar & plate vs tube & fin in low pressure, air to water instances.

Again bar & plate is better for FMIC's....but that is not what we have. The unit mounted on the front of our car is a heat exchanger (FMHE), not an intercooler (FMIC). Our IC is mounted below the supercharger.

Last edited by sales@eurocharged.com; 03-11-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG-Jerry
If you are running high pressure (like in a turbo IC, not in our HE), then a bar and plate will be better.

A bar and plate has better internal aerodynamics, and a tube fin has better external aerodynamics. Everything being exactly equal, the bar and plate will have a lower pressure drop (by like, 1% if that), but the charge air will be hotter and will be more prone to heat soak because of the poorer external aerodynamics. However, you can overcome the poor internal aerodynamics by using a core with more rows, making it better in both aspects than the bar and plate. Which is what we did.

If you are upgrading your intercooler, then you should use a bar and plate design. If you are wanting to upgrade your heat exchanger, then you should use a tube and fin because of its low pressure.

Hands down our tube and fin HE will outperform even the slightly larger bar and plate unit on the market. Not to mention that it costs half the price.

LET Motorsports has done extensive research on this and we have teamed up with C&R Racing, who is known for providing the same cores we purchased to the top Nascar teams.

Call David Bridges @ C&R if you care to hear his opinion on bar & plate vs tube & fin in low pressure, air to water instances.

Again bar & plate is better for FMIC's....but that is not what we have. The unit mounted on the front of our car is a heat exchanger (FMHE), not an intercooler (FMIC). Our IC is mounted below the supercharger.
good stuff..

now I have to change my signature to FM HE!

for the price.. its a great set up.

I'm not sure about the out perform part..

its hard to say.. unless you test 2 different STOCK cars, same pump on both cars, on the same day with both units and road testing using a data log software (not dyno).

this probably can be done once more LET's units hit the road.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 CLS63 2004 S55
How much is code3 vs. let's low price package?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
So no prototype unit yet, no numbers, and the opinion of one guy who says TF is better than BP. Wow, I don't even no how to respond. If you search the forums, you will find we have posted about this specific topic many times. Here is some before and after data during our extensive, actual testing on one of many E55s. This is our bar and plate core. I cant wait to see a unit that will outperform ours. It must be something real special...

The first set of sheets is from our 5" unit on a pullied car. The second set of sheets is with the 7" unit with no pulley. As you can see, our units produce great results. They also look great in the bumper. All units now have larger angled end tanks as well for superior flow to square tanks.

I forgot to label, dark blue is IAT, light blue is speed.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
Brandon,

Do you separate the cooling lines? Are the results above still 1-line or 2-line?

I plan to separate my cooling... but thinking of using stock H/E (so smaller than yours) since I have a spare one Wonder how much of the difference in terms of IAT impact:1-line bigger H/E vs. 2-line stock H/E.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
The data above is with stock cooling system still intact.

Separating the coolant circuit on the E55 does not yield the kind of gains it does on the C32. On the C32, separating the circuit, without adding more capacity has been good for -8° IAT at full boost. There is hardly a difference on the E55.

Unless you are going to be running a larger reservoir, I wouldn't worry about separating. Although, maybe you should call David Bridges first, he might know lol.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks... what do you mean w/ larger reservoir? I plan to add another reservoir... so the circuit is completely separate.

And any insight to illiterate mind why it would work w/ C32 but not E55? Is it because the engine size?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
Originally Posted by Code3 Performance
Although, maybe you should call David Bridges first, he might know lol.
You know, if I would have known this side of you sooner, I would have kept my cams and forced you to spend the full amount to get your car running. You're acting like a 2 year old and it's silly.

I would love to compare the HE's head to head on the forum.

In fact, our HE's were compared by a 3rd party on the C32 and they chose ours as best performing.....or do you not remember?

Secondly, our single unit will work with all E55's. We use Mercedes OEM brackets to mount the oil cooler. We also use the same 4 bumper support bolts to mount the HE.

Last but not least, our unit costs $275 less than yours and yes, it shows better numbers.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:35 PM
SPONSOR

couple of things here:

1. it is not the opinion of one guy, please provide me with some data that imperically states that bar and plate is superior to tube and fin for a water to air application...

2. if someone would like to do the testing as an independent third party, i would be willing to provide them with one of our units...

So no prototype unit yet, no numbers, and the opinion of one guy who says TF is better than BP. Wow, I don't even no how to respond. If you search the forums, you will find we have posted about this specific topic many times. Here is some before and after data during our extensive, actual testing on one of many E55s. This is our bar and plate core. I cant wait to see a unit that will outperform ours. It must be something real special...

The first set of sheets is from our 5" unit on a pullied car. The second set of sheets is with the 7" unit with no pulley. As you can see, our units produce great results. They also look great in the bumper. All units now have larger angled end tanks as well for superior flow to square tanks.

I forgot to label, dark blue is IAT, light blue is speed.

Old 03-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
I was extremely grateful for your help with the cams.

My jab was at the ridiculous thought of calling some random guy to hear his thoughts on why one is better than the other.

Being that you guys are just getting into the E55 market, please take the time to read all of the forum posts that pertain to this same debate. There is a great deal of dialogue between Victor and myself on the subject, with all the technical information you could ask for. No need to rehash it here. I have gone to great lengths to explain the benefits of BP core in air-water systems.

Out of curiosity, what is that graph you are posting? Mods, car, speeds, temps. Any useful data would be interesting instead of just splashing some random piece of datalogging....In fact, just start a new thread about the incredible results so we can get all the facts. No need to have it floating in here.

As far as the C32, please...Two guys tested it on a dyno lol. I would be more than happy to post real world datalogging. As I remember, the guy with my unit made more power..? But we can take that to the C32 forum...

Just so that everyone is clear, we sell one unit that fits every year E55. We also offer an upgraded, larger unit for the 03 with no oil cooler. We sell them as fast as we build them. I will put one aside for some head to head testing. Let me know when you guys have one built.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

again..I'm only speaking from what I read on the C32 forum.

the head to head comparison was on a car strapped on a dyno..

the graphs displayed were from 2 different cars with different set ups in terms of mods.

to date I'm not sure if a proper road testing data logging has taken place between similar packaged cars...

this country is great, since you get to buy at Walmart or Target, depending on your wallet and needs.

Personal opinion: the bar and plate just looks better and probably will take a beating better than the tube and fin. Once a rock hits those fins, it will not look as nice.

The same will apply on the Bar and plate units, but the damage won't be as noticeable.

just my .02$
Old 03-11-2008, 08:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by zoink
Thanks... what do you mean w/ larger reservoir? I plan to add another reservoir... so the circuit is completely separate.

And any insight to illiterate mind why it would work w/ C32 but not E55? Is it because the engine size?
More water, more cooling.
I'm adding a trunk mount like many have done.
This is the one I'll be using...

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Brandon,
Thats the one that I've bought. It fits in the trunk nicely.

Old 03-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Banned

C32, Cobra, 700hp Vespa
Nice Mark. With the bar and plate core you have on your car, coupled with a reservoir and ice, you can actually achieve more than 100% efficiency...Something that will not happen with a tube and fin core, ever...Lets get it hooked up

You are right Joe, BP can take a beating. I guess part of the testing should be dropping the unit off of a roof If I look at a TF core funny, it will bend.

Look guys, really, I don't care. Congratulations on creating a bargain priced unit. I am sure it will preform great and sell well. Best of luck.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by phatmitzu

Brandon,

Damn.... 1 gallon I don't think I'll get that big. Most likely only 1/4-1/2 gallon. We'll see....
Old 03-11-2008, 09:48 PM
SPONSOR

C63S
I was extremely grateful for your help with the cams.
Yeah, sure you were. That is why you responded to my PM's asking if everything was OK.

My jab was at the ridiculous thought of calling some random guy to hear his thoughts on why one is better than the other.
Why, David Bridges and the team of engineers at C&R racing have done more research than all of us could ever do. They have spent millions on R&D and they sell their tube and fin radiators to everyone from Nascar, to NHRA, to Indy car, etc.

Being that you guys are just getting into the E55 market, please take the time to read all of the forum posts that pertain to this same debate. There is a great deal of dialogue between Victor and myself on the subject, with all the technical information you could ask for. No need to rehash it here. I have gone to great lengths to explain the benefits of BP core in air-water systems.
I wish I could tell you how wrong you are, but some things are just better left untold....not to mention I promised I wouldn't.

Out of curiosity, what is that graph you are posting? Mods, car, speeds, temps. Any useful data would be interesting instead of just splashing some random piece of datalogging....In fact, just start a new thread about the incredible results so we can get all the facts. No need to have it floating in here.
Stay tuned!

As far as the C32, please...Two guys tested it on a dyno lol. I would be more than happy to post real world datalogging. As I remember, the guy with my unit made more power..? But we can take that to the C32 forum...
lol? So now you find members testing products that we all sell them funny? Man, I would be mad if I were them.

Just so that everyone is clear, we sell one unit that fits every year E55. We also offer an upgraded, larger unit for the 03 with no oil cooler. We sell them as fast as we build them. I will put one aside for some head to head testing. Let me know when you guys have one built.
It's built
Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221
Originally Posted by phatmitzu

Brandon,

Hey Mark, excuse my ignorance but do you just put water in there? Is it like an extra tank to hold more water??? TIA...
Old 03-11-2008, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W221

Can't we all jus get along?
Old 03-11-2008, 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

03 e55
this thread got more drama than the show 24.... ehhh maybe not
Old 03-11-2008, 10:48 PM

GT-R
seems like all the entry-level vendors are fighting for market share.

Why don't both of you meet up on a sunny day, install your respective HE, datalog all the pertinent information and post the results. I think both companies make a great product and are priced significantly less than the alternatives.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by NXtremeJeep
I think both companies make a great product and are priced significantly less than the alternatives.

Well put.

I've seen the prototype LET unit, and it isn't too shabby.
I look forward to putting one on my car. As a matter of fact, I look forward to putting a bunch of LET stuff on my car.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Nice Mark. With the bar and plate core you have on your car, coupled with a reservoir and ice, you can actually achieve more than 100% efficiency...Something that will not happen with a tube and fin core, ever...Lets get it hooked up
Any sources or data to back this up? I was under the impression that any air-to-water system can be made to operate with greater than 100% efficiency, especially with the addition of a reservoir.

I've never really seen a huge difference in performance between the two designs on a street-driven vehicle....all things being equal, I may not want to pay the weight penalty of a BP setup.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary, yadda yadda yadda...
Old 03-12-2008, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by BenzoBoi
Hey Mark, excuse my ignorance but do you just put water in there? Is it like an extra tank to hold more water??? TIA...
Hey Sun,
Yeah, its an extra tank to hold more water, and a place for the water to sit longer to cool before its being sucked back into the intercooler(After passing the HE).
Old 03-12-2008, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NXtremeJeep
seems like all the entry-level vendors are fighting for market share.

Why don't both of you meet up on a sunny day, install your respective HE, datalog all the pertinent information and post the results. I think both companies make a great product and are priced significantly less than the alternatives.
I like Brandon.. and I respect Erick and Jerry (they bring alot to the table)...

best of all.. I'm a happy customer either way I turn.

wether its Tube and Fin or Bar and Plate.. its a must mod for any E55.

I use Code3, because they are local. If this was the othe way around.. I would use LET. Its all business here.. and let's not take it personal.