Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003-2006 E/CLS Recall (Fuel Related)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 06:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by over90
I had the recall done on 3/14. Brought the car home for the weekend and my garage STUNK heavily of fuel. I was thinking maybe the smell was just left over residue from them working on it. NOPE! Took the car back on 3/17 and my SA told me there was a recall on the recall. hahaha! She said that fuel had spilled all over the heat shield under the passenger side rear seat after the recall. They kept my car for 3 days waiting for a new part. Now the smell is gone from the outside but my interior still stinks. I think I just need to air it out a bit. Before the recall I had NO smell at all!
From my experience, it will take literally a month before that smell dissipates. You need to keep the windows open whenever you aren't driving the car. I was driving with that type of fuel spillage for over 230 miles (near Tampa to Orlando and back) and people actually saw a fuel trail from my car (fuel overflowing from the top and down below the car).

MB is trying really hard to brush this under the proverbial rug and calling it a "ho hum" recall rather than really saying this could be a drastic tragedy waiting to happen (not that they ever would). In addition, driving in this condition may have caused my engine to run lean (MB denies it as you can imagine) and may have caused damage to my engine (MB lays direct blame to mods). All they did was smile and bent me over with out using any lube.

They are really doing their best to make me spend my future disposable income elsewhere. Eventually I will and I definately won't take my car to their service department for ANY reason unless it is a warranty covered part (they can stick their maintenance and acute service program you know where). Our patronage doesn't really matter at the end of the day...

Last edited by AMGfan; 03-26-2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
I need this

I noticed a strong fuel smell from my car sitting at idle several times today. Didn’t think much of it until I re-read this thread. I didn’t buy my car from a MB dealer and have not had any service as yet, having only had the car since December. So MB does not even know where to send a recall notice for this car even if they wanted to. I don’t even know if MB is performing this recall in Australia but mine is in need of some attention. Should I take to dealer with copy of US recall notice in hand?

Last edited by Chargin55; 03-26-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Originally Posted by Chargin55
I noticed a strong fuel smell from my car sitting at idle several times today. Didn’t think much of it until I re-read this thread. I didn’t buy my car from a MB dealer and have not had any service as yet, having only had the car since December. So MB does not even know where to send a recall notice for this car even if they wanted to. I don’t even know if MB is performing this recall in Australia but mine is in need of some attention. Should I take to dealer with copy of US recall notice in hand?
YUP...
Old 03-26-2008, 10:21 AM

Would the stealer even install a Johnson 030 IC pump for you?
Old 03-26-2008, 11:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by dkallencat1
Would the stealer even install a Johnson 030 IC pump for you?
they wont if you have warranty left..

even then.. they probably would tell you the CM30 was not designed and engineered by MB and it will harm your motor.

for the New 55 owners only

for those asking about installing pumps at the dealer.. seriously just take it to a local mechanic.

ANY mechanic with some sense will be able to install for you.. don't try to make it harder than that it is.

if you don't know where the pump is located.. so a quick search. Plenty of diagrams avialable.

2 wires, 2 rubber hoses, 4 clamps and 1 screw....
Old 03-26-2008, 11:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
Originally Posted by red60R
got my letter today.....no fuel smell yet but I guess I'll take it in. Did you guys get the job done in under 2hrs as the letter states?
wehn i scheduled time they told me it would take 2 hours and i didn't get a call from my SA for a full 24 hours later. at first quote they said it would only be 2 hours so a loaner is not available and when i arrived to drop my car there was a brand new C300 waiting for me. Wanted to take the test drive vs. getting an E350.
Old 03-26-2008, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

///AMG
Just got mine
Old 03-26-2008, 12:26 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
My advice to most of you wanting to do this recall: WAIT! I had mine done (so I thought last week) when I dropped my car off for service G+. They had their best master tech (35 years experience) do my car and it got all screwed up. They had my car for 6 days! Yes, six days! When I got it back it reeked of gasoline (so much for the nice smell of leather). I let the car sit outside with all the windows down (sunroof open) for four days and four nights. Luckily it didn't rain and I live in a safe neighborhood. When I got back in the car the smell of fuel was like a giant punch to the face! To make matters worse, on my maiden voyage (windows down so I wouldn't die of gasoline intoxication), the car sputtered like crazy and had no power! A soccer mom in a minivan could have taken me!

So I just dropped the car off again yesterday and am not happy. They anticipate having it another 4 or 5 days and are replacing every part that has to do with getting gas from the tank to the engine (including a replacement pump for the replacement pump). I'm sure my car was leaking gas all over the road because I could literally watch the gas gauge falling on the way to the dealer (yes, even more so than when I drive at 120+ MPH). They are also replacing most of the back seat because it's saturated with gas fumes (and fuel splashing I suspect- though they denied that of course). The back seat sits over the gas tank and pump parts. Hopefully I'll get my car back as good as new but I'm very doubtful. This has been a major (expletive deleted for the kiddies) disaster! I'm sure most of you will be lucky and have no trouble but I guarantee you that this will result in a nightmare for many as well.

By the way, if they give you that same cr*p line about the fuel smell dissipating over time as they told me, be very suspect. They are just trying to get you out of their hair for a month. Mine would not have dissipated over 4 decades! I suspect many cars that have this service done early will end up having leakage problems. They told me the new pump was erratic and caused the lines to split. Who knows. Just be very careful with this one.

Last edited by AMG Speed; 03-26-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-26-2008, 12:35 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG Speed
My advice to most of you wanting to do this recall: WAIT! I had mine done (so I thought last week) when I dropped my car off for service G+. They had their best master tech (35 years experience) do my car and it got all screwed up. They had my car for 6 days! Yes, six days! When I got it back it reeked of gasoline (so much for the nice smell of leather). I let the car sit outside with all the windows down (sunroof open) for four days and four nights. Luckily it didn't rain and I live in a safe neighborhood. When I got back in the car the smell of fuel was like a giant punch to the face! To make matters worse, on my maiden voyage (windows down so I wouldn't die of gasoline intoxication), the car sputtered like crazy and had no power! A soccer mom in a minivan could have taken me!

So I just dropped the car off again yesterday and am not happy. They anticipate having it another 4 or 5 days and are replacing every part that has to do with getting gas from the tank to the engine (including a replacement pump for the replacement pump). I'm sure my car was leaking gas all over the road because I could literally watch the gas gauge falling on the way to the dealer (yes, even more so than when I drive at 120+ MPH). They are also replacing most of the back seat because it's saturated with gas fumes (and fuel splashing I suspect- though they denied that of course). The back seat sits over the gas tank and pump parts. Hopefully I'll get my car back as good as new but I'm very doubtful. This has been a major (expletive deleted for the kiddies) disaster! I'm sure most of you will be lucky and have no trouble but I guarantee you that this will result in a nightmare for many as well.

By the way, if they give you that same cr*p line about the fuel smell dissipating over time as they told me, be very suspect. They are just trying to get you out of their hair for a month. Mine would not have dissipated over 4 decades! I suspect many cars that have this service done early will end up having leakage problems. They told me the new pump was erratic and caused the lines to split. Who knows. Just be very careful with this one.
Man, sorry for that horror story! It makes me weary as I just dropped my ride of for this and service A this morning. I hope it all goes smooth!
Old 03-26-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
When I got it back it reeked of gasoline (so much for the nice smell of leather)..... .
That's horrible. Also the reason why I replaced mine myself because I had zero faith a dealer would be as careful as me. Mine had a hairline crack that my initial fix didn't catch. I also replace the large rubber gaskets that seal both the filter and fuel pump assemblies. Hopefully the dealer doesn't reuse the old ones but who know. Mine failed before the recall but I'll bring in the receipt and see how it goes to get reimbursed. Here's a few pics of the issue and filter assembly.

Old 03-26-2008, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

scheduled my repair for this Friday...

they better give me a loaner! I still have CPO.
Old 03-26-2008, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 e55
had my local indie who worked at the dealer for 15 years send it in.....
Old 03-28-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by over90
I had the recall done on 3/14. Brought the car home for the weekend and my garage STUNK heavily of fuel. I was thinking maybe the smell was just left over residue from them working on it. NOPE! Took the car back on 3/17 and my SA told me there was a recall on the recall. hahaha! She said that fuel had spilled all over the heat shield under the passenger side rear seat after the recall. They kept my car for 3 days waiting for a new part. Now the smell is gone from the outside but my interior still stinks. I think I just need to air it out a bit. Before the recall I had NO smell at all!

I appreciate the tips! Was going to bring in this week, but passed on this recall entirely......
Since there's no problem now, I won't fix it!
Old 03-28-2008, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
If you want to preserve your warranty, this recall isn't a choice, it must be done. For Ca. cars, you may even be required to show the work was done to register the car according to my notice!!!! At least after spending 2 DAYS in a POS C230 loaner, not 2 hours as claimed, I have none of these issues and the car seems unchanged. I did however get the "I'm keeping your mods quiet" speech from the SA.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Originally Posted by Fast55
If you want to preserve your warranty, this recall isn't a choice, it must be done. For Ca. cars, you may even be required to show the work was done to register the car according to my notice!!!! At least after spending 2 DAYS in a POS C230 loaner, not 2 hours as claimed, I have none of these issues and the car seems unchanged. I did however get the "I'm keeping your mods quiet" speech from the SA.
Not sure it is nice to put down the C230....Luckily I got an E350 loaner.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

well.. just returned from the dealer..

no parts available and they returned my car..

I drove a Dodge Gran Caravan for the day (no MB loaner available) and spent 2 hours going back and forth.

rescheduled for next Friday....

the only good thing it was no charge..thx God.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by Timeless
Not sure it is nice to put down the C230....Luckily I got an E350 loaner.

That's my point. I'm not expecting an AMG anything as a loaner, but it'd be nice to get an E if you drop one off for service, especially if it's because of an "emissions recall" that in reality is a "we f***ed up on the design", rather than it's a major safety issue. At least I didn't get a Grand Caravan.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TopGun32
well.. just returned from the dealer..

no parts available and they returned my car..

I drove a Dodge Gran Caravan for the day (no MB loaner available) and spent 2 hours going back and forth.

rescheduled for next Friday....

the only good thing it was no charge..thx God.
WTF...Couldn't they have told you that they didn't have the parts before you took your car there and wasted 2 hours (opportunity cost). A Dodge Caravan doesn't equate to 2 hours of your life wasted driving back and forth.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:33 AM

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
2017 C63S
update on my previous post.....
Had mine done last Monday and was gone Tue/Wed, opened the garage yesterday to the smell of fuel again. Inside the car was a mix of fuel and cleaner (I guess they had the guys clean the car up really good afterward because it smelt like leather conditioner inside). Anyway, drove it around for an hour with the windows down yesterday. Left the garage doors open all day. Not as bad this morning.

Definitely annoying, the car was fine until I took it in for the recall
Old 03-29-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Originally Posted by red60R
update on my previous post.....
Had mine done last Monday and was gone Tue/Wed, opened the garage yesterday to the smell of fuel again. Inside the car was a mix of fuel and cleaner (I guess they had the guys clean the car up really good afterward because it smelt like leather conditioner inside). Anyway, drove it around for an hour with the windows down yesterday. Left the garage doors open all day. Not as bad this morning.

Definitely annoying, the car was fine until I took it in for the recall
Thanks for the update, I am amazed at the level of problems people are experiencing!!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMGfan
WTF...Couldn't they have told you that they didn't have the parts before you took your car there and wasted 2 hours (opportunity cost). A Dodge Caravan doesn't equate to 2 hours of your life wasted driving back and forth.
I know bro.

At leat they washed the car with a hose and wiped it down. If a survey reaches my home.. Its not going to be very nice.
Old 03-29-2008, 08:45 PM

Mercedes E55 AMG
My sage continues. They've now replaced so many parts on my E55 that I can't even count them in an effort to make sure all the fuel issues will be resolved. As a side issue, there were also a bunch of items that had been flagged in the car's diagnostic memory as problematic (such as the intercooler for the supercharger). My dealer tried to get these fixed before but M-B refused to cover them under warranty saying these parts only gave occasional fault codes but not a clear indication of needing replacement.

Given all the problems I'm having with the fuel and the fact they've had my car for so long, I demanded they force M-B to authorize these repairs finally so that I won't have to come back next week when a "clear indication" arises like being broken down on the side of the road. Of course, M-B relented knowing I'm one step away from going after them. Now they've replaced many other major but unrelated parts too. Let's hope they haven't made maters worse like with the recall situation.

And getting back to that, the dealer agreed to pay for a complete detail of my vehicle because of the fuel smell. They are also keeping it for 3 days with professional deionizing-type machines locked inside it purifying the vehicle and hopefully removing the gas stench. I'll pick up the car Monday/Tuesday (after they've had it for 2+ flipping weeks!) and it better be 100% perfect otherwise you'll be seeing me on TV (like that idiot with his dry cleaner pants) suing for $55 million dollars. Can you guess how I came up with that number?

Last edited by AMG Speed; 03-29-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by BrianS
That's horrible. Also the reason why I replaced mine myself because I had zero faith a dealer would be as careful as me. Mine had a hairline crack that my initial fix didn't catch. I also replace the large rubber gaskets that seal both the filter and fuel pump assemblies. Hopefully the dealer doesn't reuse the old ones but who know. Mine failed before the recall but I'll bring in the receipt and see how it goes to get reimbursed. Here's a few pics of the issue and filter assembly.

Brian thanks for the pics, I see raw gas on top of your pump/filter assembly could you smell that amount in the car? I think the dealer may have induced a fuel leak in my car from the recall work.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:55 AM

2007 S550 (S65 Package)
is that only for the 55 or also for the 500. what i bought the car from a different dealer (not mercedes dealership), will i be availabe to get this recall if it happens to me later on.
Old 03-30-2008, 11:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
Brian thanks for the pics, I see raw gas on top of your pump/filter assembly could you smell that amount in the car? I think the dealer may have induced a fuel leak in my car from the recall work.

There was a faint smell inside but it was much more noticeable outside the car, especially after sitting overnight in the garage. It hits you when you walk past left rear wheel.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2003-2006 E/CLS Recall (Fuel Related)