W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowered cars - traction/feathering issues...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 07:45 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Lightbulb Lowered cars - traction/feathering issues...

Since having the opportunity to drive 3 modded, lowered E55s now, I've noticed a disturbing commonality.

All lowered E55s I've seen have pretty severe tire feathering from the camber; this is nowhere more evident than at the track, where traction is notably affected.

The surfeit of torque from the aftermarket mods quickly overwhelms the compromised contact patch, leading to the tire smoke we're all so accustomed to.

Has anyone made an adjustable camber solution for the rear of these cars? Seeing the number of lowered 55s and 63s on this board, I'm surprised that nobody has addressed this (considered by me) a major issue.

I would love to lower the car, but I won't until I know there's a solution.

Anyone lowered care to chime in?
Old 03-17-2008, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
I just installed the RENNTECH lowering module.
It has several different settings.
From what I have seen, the camber does not change much from the lowest to highest setting. At least not to my EYE.
Anyway, the cars camber is pretty bad, Its going to eat tires, but the looks and performance are really improved, plus it's fun playing with the settings.
Good question, I was wondering if there was a camber kit also.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Vader13
From what I have seen, the camber does not change much from the lowest to highest setting. At least not to my EYE...
I think that's part of the problem.

Please keep an eye on feathering....I'm very curious, thanks.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:10 PM

2004 MB E55 AMG, 2006 Audi A6 4.2, 2008 WRX STI
it sure does kill the inside of the tire~
i had this issue.
ended up purchasing Renntech toe links+adjustable camber bushings.
and took care of the problem 100%
Old 03-17-2008, 10:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Curious - Ive read on this forum the best way to launch your car is with airmatic off (neither the double selectable llights by shifter) which I believe has the car at a comfortable, smooth and HIGHER height...... unless I am wrong about that info, why would a lowered car provide better stability? Merely gathering info folks.........
Old 03-17-2008, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
Originally Posted by jpohl402
Curious - Ive read on this forum the best way to launch your car is with airmatic off (neither the double selectable llights by shifter) which I believe has the car at a comfortable, smooth and HIGHER height...... unless I am wrong about that info, why would a lowered car provide better stability? Merely gathering info folks.........
Lower center of gravity for one reason
thread
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/235233-toe-links.html#post2711720

Last edited by Vader13; 03-17-2008 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by AMG Rider
it sure does kill the inside of the tire~
i had this issue.
ended up purchasing Renntech toe links+adjustable camber bushings.
and took care of the problem 100%
Thanks AMG Rider:

Yeah, ALL independent suspension cars, rear that is, INDUCE MORE neagtive camber when you lower them. This is because the lower control rise, and causes the top of tire to move Outwards, hence more NEGATIVE camber. Your bushing should solve this quite easily. My 280Z was HORRIABLE with this issue, and yes, it EAT rear tires on the inside edge. Get an alignment and try to run NO MORE than 1 degree negative camber for best contact patch, and wear.

See yeah
Old 03-19-2008, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Thanks AMG Rider:

Yeah, ALL independent suspension cars, rear that is, INDUCE MORE neagtive camber when you lower them. This is because the lower control rise, and causes the top of tire to move Outwards, hence more NEGATIVE camber. :

I thought the top of the tire moved INWARDS and put more 'pressure' on the inside edge of the tire. http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
Old 03-19-2008, 11:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
The man from Down Under with the save !!!!

Correct.
Old 03-19-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by OzE55
I thought the top of the tire moved INWARDS and put more 'pressure' on the inside edge of the tire. http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html
OOPS, me bad, your correct about moving inward, too early in the morning for me, lack of caffine. But the negative camber part was right. Sorry guys.

Thanks for the correction without a flame

See yeah

Last edited by MRAMG1; 03-19-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
i'm having a set of adjustable camber arms made at the moment and i'll comment on them after installation in the upcoming weeks.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:08 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by chiromikey
i'm having a set of adjustable camber arms made at the moment and i'll comment on them after installation in the upcoming weeks.
I'd be very interested in your comments.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It is a bit simplified to say all, but yes the MB suspensions do increase camber as they compress. BMWs and Pcars run the Mac struts that go straight up and down. Apples and oranges.

As a temporary fix, you can try the renntech bushings. I would never pay that cash for them, but it is a fix for the alignment but I've had really bad experiences with "faking" suspension angles with offset screws and bushings. Things just start to wear badly (suspension parts), since the load gets shifted. I'd rather keep paying for tires until I get the real fix in place. Keep in mind that our cars do not come with adjustable arms. an alignment can tell you where the car is, but there is little they can do to alter it without work. Crash bolts give you between 1/2 to 1 degree. I tried those for a bit, since they were cheap and they make a difference. Again, not the real fix.

As far as the drag racing stance, there was a misnomer. The car is NOT more stable at heights, but stability isn't a real issue in a drag race. Traction is. By raising the car, you are giving the suspension room to compress and absorb the energy that is being blasted to the wheels. That ability to compress keeps the traction maximized. If the car had no travel, it would be a wound top and would start bouning down the track.

Chromikey, w may should talk. I wonder if your arms are different than mine?
Old 03-20-2008, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by jangy
It is a bit simplified to say all, but yes the MB suspensions do increase camber as they compress. BMWs and Pcars run the Mac struts that go straight up and down. Apples and oranges.
You are right my friend, ALL SALA "Short upper arm, Long lower arm" independant rear suspension do. Like ours. Sorry for the over simplafication, okay I also flunked spelling. WOW you guys are tuff.

See yeah

PS: BMW's also suffer from this, at least the M3's, and the 5's. I don't have any knowldege on the others. It's NOT the strut that cause this issue, unless it is bolted directly to the spindle, but rather geometry of the two different length arms. The shorter arm makes a tigher radius under compression, causing it to pull the tire in, hence more negative camber.