Sponsored by:

***Need a little bit of advice***

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D
***Need a little bit of advice***

Ok so my g/f has a C240 and has not changed the oil in like 20,000, and is Gunky. (Me completley oblivious to this). I'm going to change the oil in her car, and I know there are a few steps to do. Like flush the replace. Can anyone tell me exactly what the steps are to changing the Gunky oil on her car. Also what type of flushing fluid I need to do this.
Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2008, 02:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ML550
First, I would not flush the engine. Flushing can create more problems than it solves. Instead, here's what I would do. Bring the engine up to normal operating tempature, and the stop it and let it cool down for about 15 minutes. This way the oil will be fully warmed up and will drain easiest. Then proceed to change the oil - drain the oil (and don't be in a hurry - let it drain until no more drips are coming out of the drain hole), replace the oil filter, use a new drain plug and gasket if called for, and fill it up with the specified synthetic oil. Then, and this is the key, I would repeat the entire process in about another 1,500 - 2,000 miles. After that, I would do oil changes every 5,000 miles; I think the 10,000 mile intervals are simply too long between changes.

The good synthetics have excellent detergent additives as part of the blend, and a couple of oil changes (replacing the filter each time) should clean the engine right up.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM

c55
make sure to loosen the filter before u drain the oil since its a cartridge filter, its holds bout half quart oil
Old 03-21-2008, 10:59 AM

CLS 55 AMG, 2002 Chevy Avalanche (w/ NOS) :D
Hey guys thanks for the prompt response, much appreciated. I am going to change it today.