W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Blet shredded today...

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 04-11-2008 | 04:52 PM

E55 AMG
Blet shredded today...

Here are some pics. The pulley that the arrow is pointing to is slightly bent. The car as asp pulley with the jag xkr belt. Is it ok for me to still drive my car around right now with the s/c belt off? Do I need a pulley or can that one be fixed?
Attached Thumbnails Blet shredded today...-car1.jpg   Blet shredded today...-car2.jpg   Blet shredded today...-car3.jpg  

Last edited by hamann69; 04-11-2008 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I wouldn't go ANYWHERE without a belt. Don't even idle it.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:11 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
I wouldn't go ANYWHERE without a belt. Don't even idle it.
Its only the s/c belt the other belts are still in place and look fine to me. The car still drives I was on the hwy when it happend and had to drive home (20 mins) and it was fine. I just need to drive the car back to the shop that installed it.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
This is a lesson that I never quite internalize well enough.

Don't be afraid to go with your gut. Hamann knew there was something wrong yesterday. Bad luck hamann, at least nothing broke.

If that's a new part from ASP, let that be a warning to the rest of us.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:15 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
This is a lesson that I never quite internalize well enough.

Don't be afraid to go with your gut. Hamann knew there was something wrong yesterday. Bad luck hamann, at least nothing broke.

If that's a new part from ASP, let that be a warning to the rest of us.
I think its the idle pulley that is bent. Someone correct me if im wrong. I called my dealer and its only $56 for the part.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by hamann69
I think its the idle pulley that is bent. Someone correct me if im wrong. I called my dealer and its only $56 for the part.
yes .. its NOTHING related to ASP... lets not start sh&t

I would question your installed why that part is bent... that is near where you insert the wrench to remove the belt.

somebody that knows what they are doing would NEVER lean the wrench on the pulley.

btw: there goes $70 worth of belt.... dude I told you, buy the Gates belt..its the same thing.
You are NOT going to get an extra boost from the JAG to the GATES...its the same belt!!
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
If the tensioner pulley in the pic has not bent when the belt was installed, it must have bent when the belt shredded and jammed up in it. A new belt and tensioner will fix her right up.

If it were my car, I would not drive it without the SC belt beyond limping home. In that sense, it is no worse than driving it after the SC has reached thermal shutdown, only in this case the ECU is expecting the SC to be running.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:25 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by TopGun32
yes .. its NOTHING related to ASP... lets not start sh&t

I would question your installed why that part is bent... that is near where you insert the wrench to remove the belt.

somebody that knows what they are doing would NEVER lean the wrench on the pulley.

btw: there goes $70 worth of belt.... dude I told you, buy the Gates belt..its the same thing.
You are NOT going to get an extra boost from the JAG to the GATES...its the same belt!!
I tryed finding that belt you told me about but none of my local stores found anything with that part number. I still have the belt that the asp pulley came with some im just gonna use that one for now.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Hey TopGun32:

I not only agree 1000%, but Kenne Bell ALWAYS recomended GATES over ALL other brands of belts for their whipplechargers. So much for the MYTH of Jag belts being superior

See yeah

PS: To the OP, sorry to hear about your headaches, and NO it will NOT hurt anything to drive it without the SC belt. The ECU is SMART enough to operate the engine SAFELY, its called O2 sensors.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:41 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
Hey TopGun32:

I not only agree 1000%, but Kenne Bell ALWAYS recomended GATES over ALL other brands of belts for their whipplechargers. So much for the MYTH of Jag belts being superior

See yeah

PS: To the OP, sorry to hear about your headaches, and NO it will NOT hurt anything to drive it without the SC belt. The ECU is SMART enough to operate the engine SAFELY, its called O2 sensors.
Im glad to hear that I can still drive it. Its not that far maybe 20 mins.
Old 04-11-2008 | 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ML550
Not true. The problem is there are several aftermarket suppliers selling "Jag" belts that aren't really genuine Jag belts. The factory Jag belt is manufactured by Roulands. Gates makes their own. The one I bought from an unnamed Jag aftermarket shop was neither of the above - so I sent it back.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Could have been avoided

Lets review, yesterday you stated that there was an engine vibration, I said https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....65&postcount=9
I guess that you did not.
Is that ASP pulley new?
I can see the future, your installer is going to..........
BTW not starting S4it but is this the first ASP to shread a belt?
And lastly hamann69 you don't need to start a new thread for every event.

Last edited by Yacht Master; 04-11-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Get your pulley changed out and then keep an eye on the next belt. I actually had a defective ASP pulley that they replaced for free. Pulley ring was actually welded on backwards. I shredded all kinds of stuff with that bucket of fun. My hood insulation etc.

I would venture to say my ASP could NOT have been the only one in that lot that was screwed up. Hope you didn't snag another one like mine.

KEEP AN EYE ON THAT!! If it shreds another belt after the new pulley install, you may have to really look at that ASP.

Driving to stealer without SC is totally fine, just don't be cruising her around for fun tonight of course. ESP light should be on or will be on shortly. Just car telling you something is wrong.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:21 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Get your pulley changed out and then keep an eye on the next belt. I actually had a defective ASP pulley that they replaced for free. Pulley ring was actually welded on backwards. I shredded all kinds of stuff with that bucket of fun. My hood insulation etc.

I would venture to say my ASP could NOT have been the only one in that lot that was screwed up. Hope you didn't snag another one like mine.

KEEP AN EYE ON THAT!! If it shreds another belt after the new pulley install, you may have to really look at that ASP.

Driving to stealer without SC is totally fine, just don't be cruising her around for fun tonight of course. ESP light should be on or will be on shortly. Just car telling you something is wrong.
It was probably the installer than bent the pulley while putting the belt on. That makes the most sense here. My insulation is torn up to.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hood insulation has to be the ultimate Mercedes rape. Piece was only like 60$, but the plastic pins that you poke in to hold it in place, literally like another 60$ or something. Makes you violent as you push in each 5$ piece that reallly is worth .000000001 cent.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E 55
Originally Posted by kompressed55
Not true. The problem is there are several aftermarket suppliers selling "Jag" belts that aren't really genuine Jag belts. The factory Jag belt is manufactured by Roulands. Gates makes their own. The one I bought from an unnamed Jag aftermarket shop was neither of the above - so I sent it back.
Correct.

I fave not used the gates but if it's like the factory with continous grooves it will be just as good.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Hamann, if you ever need a Gates, PM me. Western US MASSIVE Gates warehouse is right here in town. I can snag just about any belt they make within 24hours.
Old 04-11-2008 | 06:44 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Hamann, if you ever need a Gates, PM me. Western US MASSIVE Gates warehouse is right here in town. I can snag just about any belt they make within 24hours.
Im just gonna use the dayco belt that came with the asp pulley its not continues groove but it will do for now. If this one starts to slip ill PM you. Thanks
Old 04-11-2008 | 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kompressed55
my point is:

why spend $70 on a belt that looks and acts just the same as $40 dollar belt.

The name JAG is not going to add .5lb of boost.

From what I read: Gates is the way to go.

I had the Dayco... and its a noticeable difference.. not in Boost.. but in grip.
Old 04-13-2008 | 12:34 AM

E55 AMG
Heres a little update.....I went back to the shop and the tensioner pulley was bent a little he admitted to doing it when he took off the stock belt so thats why my jag belt shredded. They strightened out the pulley and put on my dayco belt that came with the asp pulley. The s/c runs fine now but it feels alot slower than it did with the jag belt on there. It feels like its just not boosting that much. The power and torque is just not there. You can really notice the different in torque when theres a load on the car. Im hoping that its just because this dayco belt is crap and that my ECU is not messed up from driving about 40 or so miles with the s/c belt. I am getting a new gates belt in a few days so im hoping this will correct it. I also had the LET Motorsport heat exchanger installed today but I cant give any impressions on that yet besides it looks alot nicer in my grill. Im hoping the gates belt corrects this power loss problem I dont think that changing the h/e would have triggered anything. Ill keep you guys posted.
Old 04-13-2008 | 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by hamann69
...the tensioner pulley was bent a little he admitted to doing it when he took off the stock belt so thats why my jag belt shredded. They strightened out the pulley...
"They Straighten out the pulley"...
You still can't be sure if it still runs straight and true. Its a cheap part. Get a new one. The bearings in those goes bad pretty often. Take it back to a dealer and say you hear whining noise from it and get it replaced under warranty. I just had mine replaced recently.
Old 04-13-2008 | 06:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55
There is no way they can 'straighten out the pulley'. It will cause problems. Replace it for the peace of mind and 'insurance' against further damage.
Old 04-13-2008 | 01:23 PM

E55 AMG
Originally Posted by OzE55
There is no way they can 'straighten out the pulley'. It will cause problems. Replace it for the peace of mind and 'insurance' against further damage.
I went to my dealer and they wanted $300 for the part. They wont sell the pulley alone its sold with the whole tensioner part. And my car is out or warrenty.
Old 04-13-2008 | 07:39 PM

2013 CLS63 2004 S55
Someone remind me of the Gates belt part number pls. Where would I find in socal/internet? Thanks, Mike
Old 04-13-2008 | 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
they admitted to bending that pulley, letting you drive like that, and not telling you until you came back with the problem? I wouldn't even trust that they installed the ASP crank pulley correctly....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Blet shredded today...