weird sound from E63 engine! Need Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:30 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Ckim1021
According to SA, our engine is basically racing engine and it tends to make more noise than normal engine. If it is just noise and not effect the performance of the car, I guess I will have to deal with it.
PM your email address and VIN, sounds like the dealer needs to replace the intake camshafts and adjusters, and I will send a copy of the DTB P-B-05.20/20a DEC07 to present to the SA. Warranty covers the repair with no “special” authorization from MBUSA other than normal warranty approval for a known problem specifically addressed by bulletin. With your VIN I can verify your vehicle is included since the repair applies up to engine #60 001177. In addition, your VIN allows me to send a copy of your MB vehicle datacard listing option & paint codes, transmission and engine numbers, production date, etc. for future reference.
Old 05-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
I had a copy of the M156 bulletins and the engineers told me my Vin# didnt apply and there were only a small numbers of cars affected by the camshaft problem. I dont know how much of that was accurate but there were stern on what they told me. My question is why are theses parts failing?
Old 05-17-2008, 09:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
That engine sounds like a time bomb. I remember other engines that had that rapping noise, but that was 40 years ago and the valve covers were off.

The regional MBUSA person can tell you how many complaints and fixes they have of this specific issue. All of their shop work is transmitted to MB on a regular basis and they can track problems well before it becomes public knowledge.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Z06, M3, Mini Cooper S. Sold: C55
Originally Posted by Ckim1021
Ticking sound is gone now but I don't think it is normal at all. SA even said that it should not make ticking noise.
Please listen to sound clip.(it does not show the engine, I was trying to get the sound.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevyKecI-DY

In regards to other noise(can be only heard at initial acceleration. it sounds like something rattling) , SA told me that I need to use octane boosts every 4th tank of gas. SA said that the engine is designed to use higher octane.
Unless I use the octane boost, it will make the noise. He also warned me that to use too much. Any particular brands that are good? I never used octane boost before.
In addition to checking the TSB's & such, I would get an oil analysis done to see if you have excessive wear metals in your oil, which could help indicate or diagnose the problem. If excessive wear metals are present, you can look at the type of metal to determine where they came from. If the wear metals are within typical limits, then it's just a minor annoyance.

BTW, not to scare you, but this is similar to the sound my C55 made when one of the pistons was wearing itself out & my dealer told me to run some fuel system cleaner though it and that it was fine! The dealer gave up helping me & I dumped the car on something better. Some of these dealers are really lame & just don't want to diagnose anything, especially if you have changed or modded anything.

I can't believe I'm actually looking at an E63 now for another driver... I should just go back to the Lexus dealer & get the IS-F... I must be crazy for looking at anothe Merc. with all the quality problems I've had.
Old 05-19-2008, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
I had a friend have his engine replaced and the sound was still there. Even my SL63 has it. The AMG tech that flew out to replace the engine said it was the bucket taps that are in the new 6.2 liter motor. The sound is there, but sometimes its more evident than other times.

The TSB was issued thereafter the replacement of his engine in the CLS63.
Old 05-19-2008, 04:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
The AMG tech that flew out to replace the engine said it was the bucket taps that are in the new 6.2 liter motor.
Thats what I thought it is - until oil is up to temp and pressure they will rattle around a bit - but by slapping around they will wear them down more and they will need to be replaced sooner. Could also be the variable valve timing...

Either way its not good... wierd how they try to avoid this when the cost down the road could be substantially more.
Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM

old daily driver '07 E63(gone); new dd '14 750xi; 2013 Viper GTS
Listened to the you tube clip, man that is a loud tapping noise. Can't see how it is normal. Mine does not have that.
I drive my car everyday. MB seems to be tightening its' purse with warranty problems.
Old 05-19-2008, 08:15 AM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
You guys dont even know how bad Mercedes avoids stuff like this, problem is not normal and now that all 63 owners rack on miles the issues are widespread.

car is the biggest POS I hate it since day 1 and having Mercedes as your support makes it even worse.

Yesterday my car had the knock very bad in the morning so i let it warm up and was heading into NYC when it got louder and the entire driveline EMITTED A DRONE caused the car to tremble at 50mph I slowed to 35 it was that bad and almost got into a very bad rear end collision. No matter what throttle input it felt like the entire driveline was loose scared the crap out of my wife and I. Roadside took the car back to the house, grabbed my other car and was off. I am never driving the E63 again until it goes back. SOMETHING INSIDE THE ENGINE CAUSED THIS, SO PLEASE TAKE IT SERIOUSLY
Old 05-19-2008, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

20+ to list......
My ML63 makes that noise after it's been sat for a week or more, but after the engine warms up (80 degrees +), it goes away, and never returns for the remaining day of driving. Same as the C63 and CLK BS. I wouldn't worry about it, you are driving a high performance piece with a "race" motor, live with it.
Old 11-09-2008, 01:53 PM

2011 ML63 2013 SL63
i have the same problem, i left my car sitting for a week and the exact same noise came from mine, i heard from some people that the intake manifold needs to be replaced because it is cracked check with the dealer ship on that one
Old 11-10-2008, 03:04 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by jjomaa
i have the same problem, i left my car sitting for a week and the exact same noise came from mine, i heard from some people that the intake manifold needs to be replaced because it is cracked check with the dealer ship on that one
Interesting.
I will ask him. Did your dealer replace the intake manifold?
My SA says it is normal.
The noise is gone for now.
Thank you very much for new information.