Sponsored by:

weird sound from E63 engine! Need Help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E63
weird sound from E63 engine! Need Help.

My car was parked for a week and I started the car. It makes weird noise and it is very hard to describe. It sounds like something is loose.
I will take it to dealer but I wanted to know other 63s with same problem.
I thought it needs time to warm up but the noise can be heard at slow speed.
Hope that it won't be anything serious.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:53 PM

E63, SL 550 Sport,C63 Coupe On the Way!!
Can you describe the noise? Is it a tick, knock type sound from the top/front portion of the engine?

PM and I will fill in more details
Old 05-13-2008, 03:00 AM

2007 E63
I recorded the ticking sound and had SA listen to it.
He was not sure what was causing it. It has been sitting at the dealer since
last tuesday.
SA called me last thursday and said that it might be chain tensioner.
They are waiting to get an approval from MBUSA to fix it.
MBUSA tech will come out and check my car.
Now I am getting worried about the whole problem.
SA said that it is not a serious problem but why do they need the approval from MBUSA!
Any E63 with similar problem? I know there was one E63.
SA was off today so I will talk to him tomorrow.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:19 AM
Almost a Member!

they need to get it approve because they cant just fix whatever they want under worrenty, they have to approve it.. unless you tell them you'll pay for it and then they'll do it right there and then i promise you that.. hahaha
Old 05-13-2008, 03:34 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by chinesekid
they need to get it approve because they cant just fix whatever they want under worrenty, they have to approve it.. unless you tell them you'll pay for it and then they'll do it right there and then i promise you that.. hahaha
thanks That helps
Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 MB E63, 2006 LEXUS GS430
hey ckim howd it turn out?? im going to buena park hoi to check up on the same problem this saturday.. i having a ticking sound that just started 1 month ago. sounds like the car is cheap... but, it only happens 1-10 times i start my car.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Hmmmm....... I never had that problem, and I left my car undriven for a week before as well

Any updates on this?
Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by ucibenz
hey ckim howd it turn out?? im going to buena park hoi to check up on the same problem this saturday.. i having a ticking sound that just started 1 month ago. sounds like the car is cheap... but, it only happens 1-10 times i start my car.
My car was there for a week and they said that they could not duplicate the sound. They ran different diagnostics but nothing was found.
On the way home, I heard other noise when I press the gas. The noise comes and goes under the engine(i think). I went back to the dealer and went for test drive with SA.
He said he also heard the noise.
He is not sure what is causing it but thinks it might be simple fix.
Let me know what happens with your car.
I wish I can post sound clip so you can hear the sound.
Can you PM me your email so I can send you the sound clip and check if our cars have same problems
SA told me that he has not seen same problems.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 cls 63 030
I had that ticking sound coming from what sounded like just behind the front driver side wheel. It would tick slowly and increase its speed with the engines speed when driving. The problem was off and on and would stop after driving the car for 15 minutes of so. I took it in and they said that the sound was normal. I actually started the car at the dealership and had the car make the sound with my sa standing right there and he said it is normal with the 63s and there was nothing to worry about. Not sure if it helps you at all. Between the ticking and the occasional brake squeal it can be embarassing to drive in traffic sometimes.
Old 05-15-2008, 08:40 PM

dealers say its normal is because they are not going to warranty all these noisy engines and will sit tight and not do much as only a small percentage of people will complain.

My car has suffered bad chassis vibrations all contributed to the engines crank not being balanced yet transmitting severe harmonics throughout the vehicles chassis which is so weak to begin with cant absorb the vibration. anyone with basic knowledge can realize if the heart of a mechanical engine the "crank" is not balanced or is defective it will preamturely wear other parts within the assembly.

Its obvious why cam gears, tensioners, lifters and heads have been replaced on the 63 engines for customers across the USA. There are problems and they most likely wont be corrected until they redesign the motor. Most likely can be contributed to parts suppliers for the internals.

I feel everyones pain owning the loudest and worst driving 63 I ever came across and the brakes, dont get me raving about those again. You can hear my car from across a busy road when its parked it has gotten worse from 4k miles to the 15k i have now.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:33 PM

2007 E63
Ticking sound is gone now but I don't think it is normal at all. SA even said that it should not make ticking noise.
Please listen to sound clip.(it does not show the engine, I was trying to get the sound.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sevyKecI-DY

In regards to other noise(can be only heard at initial acceleration. it sounds like something rattling) , SA told me that I need to use octane boosts every 4th tank of gas. SA said that the engine is designed to use higher octane.
Unless I use the octane boost, it will make the noise. He also warned me that to use too much. Any particular brands that are good? I never used octane boost before.

Last edited by Ckim1021; 05-15-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Originally Posted by Ckim1021
Ticking sound is gone now but I don't think it is normal at all. SA even said that it should not make ticking noise.
Please listen to sound clip.(it does not show the engine, I was trying to get the sound.)

In regards to other noise(can be only heard at initial acceleration. it sounds like something rattling) , SA told me that I need to use octane boosts every 4th tank of gas. SA said that the engine is designed to use higher octane.
Unless I use the octane boost, it will make the noise. He also warned me that to use too much. Any particular brands that are good? I never used octane boost before.
Are you kidding me? Octane booster? That's a steaming load of crap. As long as are using decent gas in the first place, you shouldn't have any problems.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:26 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by CWW
Are you kidding me? Octane booster? That's a steaming load of crap. As long as are using decent gas in the first place, you shouldn't have any problems.
I will give it a try and then go from there.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:28 AM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by ucibenz
How was the visit? My car is also at HOI.
Just want to know if our cars are having same problems
Old 05-16-2008, 01:48 AM
Almost a Member!

2007 MB E63, 2006 LEXUS GS430
ckim,

im gonna be going to the dealer on may 17, so i haven't gone yet. i just listened to your you tube sound clip and its the exact same. like you said, it is only at the initial starting of the car for a few minutes. however, it might go more but maybe i cannot hear it when i drive because of the natural exhaust sound might drain the ticking noise. i'm going in for my brakes that have still have not been resolved. i've been having a lot of minor problems with this car, but it annoys me how the service advisors always give an excuse and i am not a mechanic but a lot of time it sounds like BS. after the few small fixes, i still might let go of this car soon because i been driving it for over a year now and a car for this price, i think it shouldn't have these kinds of minor problems... i'll let you know what happens...
Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2019 s560 sedan

at idle i hear a noise that sounds like an engine knock but i think its just the pullys . car had it from day one . Also that other noise could possibly be a loose or cracked weld on the heat shields on the cats .had a clk that gave a rattle when you let off the gas and it was due to the cats
Old 05-16-2008, 08:27 AM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
I will give it a try and then go from there.
Ok...but let's go out on a limb here for argument's sake and pretend the octane booster will actually work on what is obviously not a knocking-related issue, and that your tick will go away (cause' in reality it won't, but for the sake of argument o.k.), so THEN what are you going to do?

Cause' now you'll have a $90k car that you have to dump a $10 bottle of cheesy additives into at every fill-up, just so it won't sound and run like a tractor? That sound clip reminds me of a john deere. It's ridiculous and there's clearly something wrong with the motor. Are you really going to be happy living with that arrangement? I wouldn't be.

No matter how you cut it, the SA just sidestepped dealing with your problem, and you should go back and make them *fix* it, not just tell you to buy gas additives. What's next? The tranny starts slipping and he tells you to pick up that cheesy "Stop-Slip" additive from Autozone? You get an oil leak, and he tells you to pick up "Stop-Leak"? You complain about gas mileage and he sells you a "Turbonator" for your intake?

The car is under warranty, and you shouldn't have to deal with this stuff. Nor should you have to *fight* to get it fixed. Go back and make them do it right.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Just listened to that youtube clip. Thats how mine started early on now it has a pronounced knock

guys these engines need to be replaced or opened up with major parts changed. Mercedes is aware of the issues but just doesnt want to step up to the plate.

this is not an octane issue what so ever

Its amazing when I first posted this months ago I was the only one complaining and after seeing lots of cars in NY area and hearing all of this its obvious all these engines over time will develop issues. I PM a few of you guys info on this take this to your field rep and put your foot down.
Old 05-16-2008, 10:02 AM

E63,,,not any more,,,BMW X5 50i
Mine sounds like yours "tick" but not quite as loud....I sounds like its coming from the drivers side of the engine...up front...but the sound is not on the left side...only the right...any ideas??????
Old 05-16-2008, 05:16 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by CWW
Ok...but let's go out on a limb here for argument's sake and pretend the octane booster will actually work on what is obviously not a knocking-related issue, and that your tick will go away (cause' in reality it won't, but for the sake of argument o.k.), so THEN what are you going to do?

Cause' now you'll have a $90k car that you have to dump a $10 bottle of cheesy additives into at every fill-up, just so it won't sound and run like a tractor? That sound clip reminds me of a john deere. It's ridiculous and there's clearly something wrong with the motor. Are you really going to be happy living with that arrangement? I wouldn't be.

No matter how you cut it, the SA just sidestepped dealing with your problem, and you should go back and make them *fix* it, not just tell you to buy gas additives. What's next? The tranny starts slipping and he tells you to pick up that cheesy "Stop-Slip" additive from Autozone? You get an oil leak, and he tells you to pick up "Stop-Leak"? You complain about gas mileage and he sells you a "Turbonator" for your intake?

The car is under warranty, and you shouldn't have to deal with this stuff. Nor should you have to *fight* to get it fixed. Go back and make them do it right.

I want to make clear the issues. My car has two different noise issues.
First one is can be heard from the sound clip. SA said that it might be lifters that had air pocket that cause the noise. SA thinks it was one time deal.
If the ticking or knocking noise comes back, they(technicians) have to hear them to replace lifters. Since it does not make the sound, MBUSA will not replace the lifters. I will keep my ears open for the noise.

Second noise happens when I press the gas. It sound like something rattling. But SA said it is detonation sound from higher alcohol level in our gas(SoCAl). He said that adding octane booster every 4th fill up will eliminate the sound.

However I still agree with you. I should not have to deal with octane booster. Thank you for your thoughts.
I do not know what else I can do.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:22 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by joemoney415
I had that ticking sound coming from what sounded like just behind the front driver side wheel. It would tick slowly and increase its speed with the engines speed when driving. The problem was off and on and would stop after driving the car for 15 minutes of so. I took it in and they said that the sound was normal. I actually started the car at the dealership and had the car make the sound with my sa standing right there and he said it is normal with the 63s and there was nothing to worry about. Not sure if it helps you at all. Between the ticking and the occasional brake squeal it can be embarassing to drive in traffic sometimes.
You should have them look at your car. It is not normal at all. SA said it might be lifers. My SA said that if the ticking sound is present at the time of visit, they can replace lifters under warranty.
Old 05-16-2008, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes Benz
You should have them look at your car. It is not normal at all. SA said it might be lifers. My SA said that if the ticking sound is present at the time of visit, they can replace lifters under warranty.
I have a S63 and I have the same sound. There is a service bulletin for the 6.2L motor regarding this sound. But the paperwork says the sound is NORMAL and not to perform any repairs to solve the issue.

The sound is from the valve train (tappet on the AMG motor as it does not have lifters like a more conventional motor). I get it once in a while after the car sits for a while and it goes away with a bit of driving.

I dont like it a bit but they said its normal and thats about all they cared to say. I noticed that MB has gotten extremely cheap on warranty work and now simply refuses to fix anything. I have an SL55 that has a sagging front end when I park it and I have had 3 valve blocks (control block for abc fluid) . They will NOT replace the shocks unless they see visable leaking fluid from a shock body. So instead they keep replacing items MB will allow but those parts dont fix anything.

On my E350 the shocks are totally blown at 23k miles and the car floats like an old Cadillac. I drove a GS350 my co-worker owns and it feels like a race car compared to my now destroyed E350. Mercedes said we cant do anything to fix your car as no shock has a visible leak. They dont understand that a shock that wears out at 23k miles is something covered under warranty. So I can spend 600 bucks plus labor and get it back to normal or just wait 12 months for my lease to end and trow it back at them.

I dont think the 6.2L should have a loud loud tappet like it does in our cars but no one will authorize new parts to be installed with an open TSB saying dont touch it.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:18 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by CynCarvin32
I have a S63 and I have the same sound. There is a service bulletin for the 6.2L motor regarding this sound. But the paperwork says the sound is NORMAL and not to perform any repairs to solve the issue.

The sound is from the valve train (tappet on the AMG motor as it does not have lifters like a more conventional motor). I get it once in a while after the car sits for a while and it goes away with a bit of driving.

I dont like it a bit but they said its normal and thats about all they cared to say. I noticed that MB has gotten extremely cheap on warranty work and now simply refuses to fix anything. I have an SL55 that has a sagging front end when I park it and I have had 3 valve blocks (control block for abc fluid) . They will NOT replace the shocks unless they see visable leaking fluid from a shock body. So instead they keep replacing items MB will allow but those parts dont fix anything.

On my E350 the shocks are totally blown at 23k miles and the car floats like an old Cadillac. I drove a GS350 my co-worker owns and it feels like a race car compared to my now destroyed E350. Mercedes said we cant do anything to fix your car as no shock has a visible leak. They dont understand that a shock that wears out at 23k miles is something covered under warranty. So I can spend 600 bucks plus labor and get it back to normal or just wait 12 months for my lease to end and trow it back at them.

I dont think the 6.2L should have a loud loud tappet like it does in our cars but no one will authorize new parts to be installed with an open TSB saying dont touch it.
Sorry to hear about your E350 problem.
Well I do not know what to do. If it is normal then I will deal with it.
However if the sound continues, I will take the car back.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:00 PM

I have the ticking sound too, and I went to dealer checked out another brand new 63, they have the same noise too...
Old 05-16-2008, 08:58 PM

2007 E63
Originally Posted by hkpooh
I have the ticking sound too, and I went to dealer checked out another brand new 63, they have the same noise too...

Do you guys think that it is major design flaw?
According to SA, our engine is basically racing engine and it tends to make more noise than normal engine.
If it is just noise and not effect the performance of the car, I guess I will have to deal with it.
Plus I like both luxury features and high performance of engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: weird sound from E63 engine! Need Help.