W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Paging BrianS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Paging BrianS

Just saw your old '07 thread that was resurrected today It got me thinking. You seem to be one of the only guys on here that does all your own labor on the E55. Just wanted to get an update from you. Has it been a maintenance nightmare? I know parts are expensive but does it just blow away previous cars you've had in part expense? I own a B5 S4 and do all my own work. I know German cars can be picky b*tches. Have you had a lot of problems with parts/sensors breaking or just routine maintenance? I'd love to pick up an out of warranty E55 in a year or two but I'm worried about the complexity of doing your own work on the car and the expense of parts. The parts for my Audi are expensive compared to Japanese/American cars but the W211 seems on another level in that regard. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
Actually it's not that bad but that depends on what needs replacing. The most expensive part I've replaced so far was the fuel filter assembly which also has an integrated fuel pressure regulator, and was about $450. If you're comfortable on your S4 then you should be fine. The key on parts buying is never purchase them from the dealer over the counter.

My car's got about 70K miles on it and running very well, no leaks, and my tweaking has helped a bit too. Also, once I get my STAR diagnostic software loaded up I'll be a DIY crazy man.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
Originally Posted by BrianS
Actually it's not that bad but that depends on what needs replacing. The most expensive part I've replaced so far was the fuel filter assembly which also has an integrated fuel pressure regulator, and was about $450. If you're comfortable on your S4 then you should be fine. The key on parts buying is never purchase them from the dealer over the counter.

My car's got about 70K miles on it and running very well, no leaks, and my tweaking has helped a bit too. Also, once I get my STAR diagnostic software loaded up I'll be a DIY crazy man.
Thanks for the feedback Brian. You can buy the Rosstech VAG-COM diagnostic software for Audis/VWs for less than $300. Are you paying the $3K or whatever it is to get one of the IBM Thinkpads loaded with the STAR software (with related cables) or is there some other cheaper "knockoff" STAR software for MBs? Where do you buy your parts? Thanks man!
Old 05-10-2008, 12:52 AM

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
OK, I take part of it back. The full diagnostic software, multiplexer, cables, etc. is expensive. I paid about $2K for mine but would have been more if the software was preloaded. It's a fairly complex install but I wanted to DIY that too. This is another option, http://www.v-techuk.com/english/prod...star/index.asp .

I've tried a few places but mercedespartssuperstore.com has always provide great service and competitive pricing for me.

Also sign up for this, http://epc.startekinfo.com/epc/home.jsp .

Last edited by BrianS; 05-10-2008 at 10:04 AM.