Sponsored by:

Dealer wants to give me extended warranty instead of factory warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
A black car
Question Dealer wants to give me extended warranty instead of factory warranty

I'm looking at leasing a Star Certified 2006 E55 with 22,000 KM / 14,000 miles on it. It's a 3 year lease and the original warranty runs out 8 months before the end of the lease. The dealer says they will "replace" the factory warranty with an extended warranty for only $2100 (instead of the regular $4200). This is in Canada by the way.

Does this sound OK, the salesman said the extended warranty is more comprehensive but "didn't have" the exact details on him when I was talking to him. Why would they do this? Why not just sell me the extended warranty for the remainder of the lease?
Old 05-27-2008, 02:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55
What dealer is this? Please understand when I say that the MB CPO warranty is NOT the same as the factory warranty. If you are buying a CPO from a MB dealer you will not be getting the same coverage as the standard warranty.

As a general rule, never listen to a word a saleman says regarding the warranty. They don't deal with warranties, they sell cars and will tell you what you want to hear. Study the warranty in writing before putting down any cash.

GL.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:05 PM

Turbonetics G35
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
What dealer is this? Please understand when I say that the MB CPO warranty is NOT the same as the factory warranty. If you are buying a CPO from a MB dealer you will not be getting the same coverage as the standard warranty.

As a general rule, never listen to a word a saleman says regarding the warranty. They don't deal with warranties, they sell cars and will tell you what you want to hear. Study the warranty in writing before putting down any cash.

GL.
+1 I would not belive one word the salesman said.

Are you looking to lease the car for 3 years? From what I understand leasing a used vehicle is not a great idea because the lease rates are insane and you pay close to the price of a new car.

Why cant you keep the factory warrenty on the car, and also have the exteneded warrenty. I don't see why the factory warrenty should be void if you get an extended. One thing is for sure though, you don't want to have a leased car that has no warrenty, god forbid the motor blows a week before you have to turn it in; with no warrenty the repair bill would be all on you.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
Ditto to examining that warranty carefully. A lot of people advise paying closer attention to the exclusions than to what they say is covered.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by efivefiveamg
If you are buying a CPO from a MB dealer you will not be getting the same coverage as the standard warranty.

wait wait wait.. how is it different? my understanding is that it was just an extension on the end of the 'original' warranty.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Dealer can not replace factory warranty at their will.

He is just trying to score extra sale.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:26 PM

2004 E55
Originally Posted by ryan0
wait wait wait.. how is it different? my understanding is that it was just an extension on the end of the 'original' warranty.
It is completely different, i.e. it is not the same warranty and do not listen to any salesman who says otherwise. I learned the hard way.

Obviously SOME of the same things are covered, but they are two separate and distinct warranties. It is not an "extension" of the factory warranty! E.g. when I took my car in for a check of the IC pump, they found no problems and charged me for the diag testing! I literally paid for NOTHING! My CPO extended warranty does not cover testing when no fixable (under warranty) problem is found.

At the end of the day, nothing anyone says matters. Just ask for a copy of the actual warranty and read the ENTIRE document line by line. I know its a hassle and you might not think anyone actually does this, but you must. These cars are very expensive maintain and you need to know what you are getting for your money.

Best of luck.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:35 PM

A black car
Thanks for all the replies for far. I intend to go over both warranties and see what the differences are. The dealer in quesrtion is Mid-Town Mercedes (DVP and Eglington in Toronto for anyone who knows the area). I'm leasing as I can write it off as a busines expense. I am putting $6,000 down and am paying $1,226 a month taxes in. Insurance for me is $203.15 a month taxes in.

I assumed leasing a used E55 would be cheaper then leasing a new E63. However, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. If I can get a new E63 for the same rate I'd gladly go with that instead. I would rather know now, then after I signed the lease!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:43 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E63
Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
Thanks for all the replies for far. I intend to go over both warranties and see what the differences are. The dealer in quesrtion is Mid-Town Mercedes (DVP and Eglington in Toronto for anyone who knows the area). I'm leasing as I can write it off as a busines expense. I am putting $6,000 down and am paying $1,226 a month taxes in. Insurance for me is $203.15 a month taxes in.

I assumed leasing a used E55 would be cheaper then leasing a new E63. However, feel free to tell me if I'm wrong. If I can get a new E63 for the same rate I'd gladly go with that instead. I would rather know now, then after I signed the lease!
I admit I do not know the specific differences US->Canada but I will tell you the numbers you are putting down should get you (at least real close to) a new car. I am not sure if it's a possibility but I would offer you my E63 lease if you could take it over because it is a better deal (high lease miles, low down payment, taxes, less $ per month) but it is a US car.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:03 AM

A black car
Originally Posted by padrino
I admit I do not know the specific differences US->Canada but I will tell you the numbers you are putting down should get you (at least real close to) a new car. I am not sure if it's a possibility but I would offer you my E63 lease if you could take it over because it is a better deal (high lease miles, low down payment, taxes, less $ per month) but it is a US car.
Well cars in Canada (especially luxury cars) are more expensive. It used to be becuase of the exchange rate. However, manufacturers have not adjusted their prices since the currencies have reached parity.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
My dealer said point blank. With factory warranty, we "replace parts first" and ask questions later.

With extended, they get grief for possible needless swap outs so they really have to jump through hoops before swapping them out for new.

Straight up, extended is a VERY good thing to have, but as far as "the same as" factory warranty.....ehhhh, no.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:34 PM

A black car
Yeah, I am beginning to have second thoughts about owning an E55 outside of the factory warranty. :\
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
I'm looking at leasing a Star Certified 2006 E55 with 22,000 KM / 14,000 miles on it. It's a 3 year lease and the original warranty runs out 8 months before the end of the lease. The dealer says they will "replace" the factory warranty with an extended warranty for only $2100 (instead of the regular $4200). This is in Canada by the way.

Does this sound OK, the salesman said the extended warranty is more comprehensive but "didn't have" the exact details on him when I was talking to him. Why would they do this? Why not just sell me the extended warranty for the remainder of the lease?
Even $2100 is too much for just 8months of lease remaining.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Yeah, I am beginning to have second thoughts about owning an E55 outside of the factory warranty. :\
Jakpro's advice is solid but good warranties are out there.

I extended my warranty to 100k up from 50k on my M3 and a few months later cracked the floor pan acting like a teenager. Im close with my SA and he agreed to cover it but even were I not they would have covered the bulk of the cost.

Last edited by transferred; 05-28-2008 at 03:46 PM.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Jakpro1
Straight up, extended is a VERY good thing to have, but as far as "the same as" factory warranty.....ehhhh, no.

OK.. are we talking a 3rd party 'extended' warranty? Or a CPO Mercedes warranty?

I just talked to my lease guy and he assures me the CPO warranty from MBZ is an 'exact' copy of the original.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK.. are we talking a 3rd party 'extended' warranty? Or a CPO Mercedes warranty?

I just talked to my lease guy and he assures me the CPO warranty from MBZ is an 'exact' copy of the original.
Your lease guy is wrong. It is not.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:50 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by transferred
Your lease guy is wrong. It is not.
do you have copies of both?
Old 05-28-2008, 08:00 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E63

I think we all wish it were the same but my wife was a Mercedes Service Advisor for a number of years (it's actually how we met ) and she comfirmed that although it is the recommended CPO for the car it is by no means as good as the original.
Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by padrino
she comfirmed that although it is the recommended CPO for the car it is by no means as good as the original.
do we know exactly how it is different?
Old 05-28-2008, 10:31 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E63
do we know exactly how it is different?
She is talking to me now about some of the differences and the contract is important because it will have a list of exclusions. It may have changed some since she did it but trim pieces like window shades, seat heaters, different sensors, etc. are the types of things that may not be covered and she used to feel for some of her customers because those pieces will add up quick.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:39 PM
HRE

2005 CL 65
My business partner and I both both the extended warranties (from local MB dealer) on our CLs while they were under factory warranty for about $3k. He as a CL55 and I have a CL65. The 55 came out of factory warranty shortly after the warranty was purchased and had to have the transmission replaced...over $10k in parts alone...the extended warranty paid 100%, no questions asked...That said, our experience with the extended warranty has been good but I agree that there is no substitute to the factory warranty...At the same time, having an AMG under warranty is also comforting...Good luck
Old 05-28-2008, 10:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by HRE
My business partner and I both both the extended warranties (from local MB dealer) on our CLs while they were under factory warranty for about $3k. He as a CL55 and I have a CL65. The 55 came out of factory warranty shortly after the warranty was purchased and had to have the transmission replaced...over $10k in parts alone...the extended warranty paid 100%, no questions asked...That said, our experience with the extended warranty has been good but I agree that there is no substitute to the factory warranty...At the same time, having an AMG under warranty is also comforting...Good luck
Tranny is covered but as the poster above you said there are other things (and sometimes expensive things you'd think would be included) that are not. Glad your experience was good. I'm about to extend mine as I've done almost 10,000 miles in my sedan since buying it this January so I'm going to go through the smallprint with a fine tooth comb
Old 05-29-2008, 01:25 PM

A black car
I am thinking I just might get a new C63 and not have to worry about any of this.