My first post

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2002, 11:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bicycle
My first post

After silently reading this (and one other forum) for several months, the day has finally arrived for my first post.
Unbeknownst to all, you have contributed to my decision with your technical insight and at times colourful commentary.
I placed a deposit for an E55 a few days ago. Spot #1.

Thanks to all
Old 12-11-2002, 11:41 PM

Niiiice man your goinging to kill all the ricers
Old 12-12-2002, 01:06 AM
Almost a Member!

99 M3
Were you lurking over at the BMW forums? hahaha...I'm still deciding on an E55 myself...
Old 12-12-2002, 09:01 PM

I'm always curious how people decide, and what they think is important in this area of the market.
So what else were you considering odysseycpm?
What made you pull the trigger on the E55?
Old 12-13-2002, 12:04 AM
Almost a Member!

Bicycle
[QUOTE]

[B]
I'm always curious how people decide, and what they think is important in this area of the market.
So what else were you considering odysseycpm?
What made you pull the trigger on the E55?
[B]

To satisfy your curiosity, I will summarize the factors that I evaluated in making this decision, as we should assume that all individuals weigh these differently; human tolerance or desire always being what it is. The order is not not relevant in my reponses either.

1) I had never owned a 4 door vehicle until July 2001 when I purchased a 2002 C32. Being my first 4 door (as well as Mercedes), I did not have reservations about the car, as much as the "fit" to my lifestyle. I have never had a need for 4 doors (let alone 2 doors) and I thought that extra room was superfluous, along the dimensions(in comparison) of the car, which in some parts of the world is classified as a large size sedan. My experience with the C32 changed that. I simply forget that it has 4 doors, and it has grown on me in the limited time I have spent in it.

2) The financial factor was a lighter consideration. Since the E55 will be replacing a fully paid C32 (which only has 3600 miles), it was easier for me to make the incremental jump in cost from $62,000 (paid) to $83,000?? That $20,000 difference is not significant for what I perceive to be "more car". This last statement is what leads me to my next reason.

3) I will most likely be utilizing that previously unnecessary "extra room" in the near future.

4) I had the "opportunity" to receive a very early order, similar to the C32.

5) I see a trend developing that may inevitably restrict choices in the future also, primarily for those outside the US, and maybe here eventually. There seems to a strong push by almost every manufacturer to provide us with models whose power output can arguably exceed ones needs, albeit not desires. This trend, if remained unchecked, may eventually leed to regulation (not unliked the speed limiter for BMW, Mercedes, AUDI), or in some cases, a privilege penalty, whose purpose is curb the trend.
What would be the consequences, environmental, safetly, etc of lets say doubling the average power output of vehicles on the road today? Your guess is as good as mine. The very thought of this happening in this country constitutes anathema, but this is a strange and forever changing world we live in. Just an extreme thought, but I would like to know your view on this.

5) And, lastly, I can sleep in the car while waiting for a fashionably late date.

cheers
Old 12-13-2002, 01:21 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by odysseycpm

5) I see a trend developing that may inevitably restrict choices in the future also, primarily for those outside the US, and maybe here eventually. There seems to a strong push by almost every manufacturer to provide us with models whose power output can arguably exceed ones needs, albeit not desires. This trend, if remained unchecked, may eventually leed to regulation (not unliked the speed limiter for BMW, Mercedes, AUDI), or in some cases, a privilege penalty, whose purpose is curb the trend.
What would be the consequences, environmental, safetly, etc of lets say doubling the average power output of vehicles on the road today? Your guess is as good as mine. The very thought of this happening in this country constitutes anathema, but this is a strange and forever changing world we live in. Just an extreme thought, but I would like to know your view on this.
Regarding this point, U.S. regulations are already in place to start limiting emissions more severely - that is one reason for the RS6 being made only through the end of 2003, when the new regulations take place. There is a surge for more horsepower than one EVER thought one would need and much less be able to obtain easily, and with it comes a removal from the quest toward 'earth-friendly' automobiles like the electrics and hybrids of late. This makes me think that we may have limited chance to purchase these supersedans, and therefore has pushed me even further into the ring with the E55 (or RS6, for that matter) - might be my last chance for a while to own a car such as this due to restrictions placed on auto manufacturers...