Sponsored by:

screaching sound on cold start up?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
screaching sound on cold start up?

So, my car does this screach sound for a few seconds on cold start up. Is this the SC belt or something else?

anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-13-2008, 01:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Do you get the same screeching when you're heavy on the throttle? If yes, is the screeching sound the same as on start up? It may be the SC clutch. I'm not sure the SC would be engaged when you start it up though.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:53 PM

I get it too when i start up in the morning. I also have the S/C chirp.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Question

My belt squeals in the morning when I start up. I just got the VR550 a few weeks ago and still haven't gotten any feedback on whether it is the belt. I am assuming it is.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:29 AM

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts
2105 S63 Full Carbon - 2018 GTR
Originally Posted by ApproachingZero
I get it too when i start up in the morning. I also have the S/C chirp.
I get the same thing on a cold start and my tech assures me that it's the nature of the beast as is the S/C churp. The churp bugged me at first but now I cant wait to hear it!!

As the tech put it and I quote: if they re-engineered basketball shoes to have less drag adhesion they would cease to squeak BUT would the game be as much fun to watch?!
Old 06-14-2008, 01:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by BigApe
I get the same thing on a cold start and my tech assures me that it's the nature of the beast as is the S/C churp. The churp bugged me at first but now I cant wait to hear it!!

As the tech put it and I quote: if they re-engineered basketball shoes to have less drag adhesion they would cease to squeak BUT would the game be as much fun to watch?!
Well, I would disagree with the tech on both points.
Old 06-14-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Well, I would disagree with the tech on both points.
I personally like the chirp. I know something it on it's way!
Old 06-14-2008, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
The squeeling is the belt and is not good. the chirp is the SC engaging and is just a rough engagement. Mine mad some squeeking (not at startup) under hard play, as the larger pulley would kick in and out. Now, the same belt is on pretty snug.

If you notice the travel on the tensioner and the ribs on your belt. Those are the two factors that control that slip. When you punch it, the tensioner is designed to take up the slack and keep the belt tight. But, depending on the size pulley and belt combination you have, the tensioner may be sitting in a bad position and not be able to go any further. I've seen this on many cars. Running too long of a belt. Next is the type of belt you run. Some have grooves and others have a slight layer on them that is slippery but gets worn off fast.
Old 06-14-2008, 07:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jangy
The squeeling is the belt and is not good. the chirp is the SC engaging and is just a rough engagement. Mine mad some squeeking (not at startup) under hard play, as the larger pulley would kick in and out. Now, the same belt is on pretty snug.

If you notice the travel on the tensioner and the ribs on your belt. Those are the two factors that control that slip. When you punch it, the tensioner is designed to take up the slack and keep the belt tight. But, depending on the size pulley and belt combination you have, the tensioner may be sitting in a bad position and not be able to go any further. I've seen this on many cars. Running too long of a belt. Next is the type of belt you run. Some have grooves and others have a slight layer on them that is slippery but gets worn off fast.
So, the squealing on the new belt I got from the VR550 is bad? I had a '97 M3 and when the belt would get squeally, I would spray WD40 on it and it would go away for some time. I was hoping the same fix would be in order for the longer S/C belt...
Old 06-14-2008, 08:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
So, the squealing on the new belt I got from the VR550 is bad? I had a '97 M3 and when the belt would get squeally, I would spray WD40 on it and it would go away for some time. I was hoping the same fix would be in order for the longer S/C belt...
No bro, don't spray anything on it. I don't know what belt you have. I've been through MANY, so I am not really exactly "stock" VRP, LOL!! I think I am running the Jag one now, but not sure. Not saying it is bad, because it has some room to "give". Mine made the same noise at the begining, but it goes away after the car adapts. Just be patient and then try different sizes and grooves.

the WD40 trick only works on an old belt that has turned hard and thin enough not to get heated enough to grab. the oil is a short fix and you end up with a torn belt. Instead, i change mine from time to time. They cost all of $50 max?
Old 06-16-2008, 09:57 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
My belt has the grooves but I am not sure what kind it is.

I guess I should have my SC belt replaced. Is that hard to do?
Old 06-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
Originally Posted by psuball1
My belt has the grooves but I am not sure what kind it is.

I guess I should have my SC belt replaced. Is that hard to do?
Less than 1 minute. Remove engine cover. Loosen the spring loaded tensioner and remove the belt. Keep it loose and slip the new belt in place.

If you have a big pulley, the belt may get snug between the SC and waterpump pulleys. If so, just loosen the four bolts on the water pulley and tighten it back up after you slip the belt in the groove. THIS IS VERY RARE.

We can hook up and I'll show you.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:41 PM

04 E55, 12 GL 450(wife)
Originally Posted by jangy
Less than 1 minute. Remove engine cover. Loosen the spring loaded tensioner and remove the belt. Keep it loose and slip the new belt in place.

If you have a big pulley, the belt may get snug between the SC and waterpump pulleys. If so, just loosen the four bolts on the water pulley and tighten it back up after you slip the belt in the groove. THIS IS VERY RARE.

We can hook up and I'll show you.
Thanks,

My car will be out of commision for a few weeks. My wife was driving the car last Friday and got rear-ended. So after I get it back from the body shop we can hook up and get the belt replaced.

Where and which one should I get? My pulley is 168mm Renntech.