W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Clear Bras - General Consensus

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2008 | 01:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E55 then E63, now back to an E55
Clear Bras - General Consensus

When doing a clear bra (not only on E's but other vehicles as well including porsche, audi, bmw, etc)......
Would most of you guys coat the lowest section of the front bumper, below the fog lights, typically only an inch or so high--
OR just do the main "thicker" (if you will) section of the bumper, parallel to where the license plate would mount on our cars??

My theory is that if rocks pepper the lower bumper than most of the bumper needs to be re-sprayed anyway, so why would you even bother w/ the bra in the first place? If I wanted a clear bra, instead of being cheap, shouldn't I just do it right the first time?
By the way, when you order a new porsche in my area and opt to purchase clear bra from the dealership, the place they send em coats EVERYTHING including the lowest section of bumper.....

Just curious!!
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
Yes, I go all the way down and wrap under on all my cars. On the rare occasions that one has been scraped, it has saved the paint and only requires a quick and cheap replacement of the lower clear-bra section.

FWIW, we use it ALL over the race car and it has done amazing things like save the gelcoat on the sidepods during spins into gravel, etc. The stuff holds up great and one race weekend is like driving 60K miles on the road.

I am a believer and while I don't like it as much as polished paint, it is WAY better than rock chips!
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
I've had it on one car. Only one car.
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:19 AM

where can I find this clear bra?
Old 06-18-2008 | 09:42 AM

E63
I like mine

Originally Posted by unclebenz
where can I find this clear bra?
It does save the paint and does not look bad. It covers the entire nose of the car and half of the hood. In addition, film was placed on the side mirrors and the wells where the door handles are, to keep from the fingernail marks when opening the door (finace'.)

I would do it again, but have to do it to a new car or fresh paint since if there are chips already and you apply the film, it "seals in" the chips.
Old 06-18-2008 | 11:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
The most important thing about clear film is THE INSTALLER. I was never a fan of film as I always thought it was like putting a condom on the car. I did film on my 997TT and glad I did.

I was initially only going to do the front bumper/lower sections but ended up also doing 1/4 hood. The line in the hood is only visible from certain angles under certain light. Most people don't notice it.

I was at the car show at Captree on sunday and happened to parked next to a C4S that looks like the dealer had done the film. It was a disaster. Lines and edges everywhere like the headlights. Instead of removing the whole headlight assembly they just ran right up to the edge of the light. Looked like junk.

I don't think the film is as necessary with a car like the E compared to a sports car just due to the overall height of the car.
Old 06-18-2008 | 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55
I got mine done from Premier. I forgot the rest of the company name, but he's a sponsor here. EXCELLENT work. Wrapped all the edges over and under the body parts.

Like blacksport350 said, it may look a little weird when you notice it, but its waaay better than chips.
Old 06-18-2008 | 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by psk145
I got mine done from Premier. I forgot the rest of the company name, but he's a sponsor here. EXCELLENT work. Wrapped all the edges over and under the body parts.

Like blacksport350 said, it may look a little weird when you notice it, but its waaay better than chips.
I think you're talking about these guys. www.premiermobilegroup.com I was at their new shop last month and saw a bunch of exotics and supercars. The owners were very nice and knowledgeable. I never liked the plastic before, just because I've never seen one that looked good. Seeing their work in person made me want to give this a try as soon as I have a few cars repainted.
Old 06-18-2008 | 07:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by cte430
The most important thing about clear film is THE INSTALLER. I was never a fan of film as I always thought it was like putting a condom on the car. I did film on my 997TT and glad I did.
+10000000

I've seen films that wrinkled, bubbled, screached, etc...... Nowadays, it's not about the quality of the film as much as the quality of the installer. Premier Mobile Group did an EXCELLENT job on my car and I will go to them for all my future cars.

Here is a review thread I did a few months ago with pictures of my car.....

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/233626-premier-mobile-group-clear-protective-film-review-feedback.html