W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seriously, Is there such a thing as a CLS550 AMG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 CLS55 AMG; 2006 Infiniti FX45;
Seriously, Is there such a thing as a CLS550 AMG?

I saw two different CLS550 yesterday with two single exhaust pipes with AMG badging on them. Is there such a thing or are they posing? I almost knocked on the driver window to FIND OUT if they were posing! Too bad my wife was with me!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
POSERS
Old 06-21-2008, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by von32897
I saw two different CLS550 yesterday with two single exhaust pipes with AMG badging on them. Is there such a thing or are they posing? I almost knocked on the driver window to FIND OUT if they were posing! Too bad my wife was with me!
Uberfakers,
Old 06-21-2008, 12:36 PM
DNJ

CLS 63 AMG (previously) looking for another AMG
Smile

I suspect what you saw was a CLS550 with the AMG styling option.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I see them all the time. They may have the AMG styling option, but that doesn't come with an AMG badge.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by jangy
I see them all the time. They may have the AMG styling option, but that doesn't come with an AMG badge.
There should be a law against POSERS!

We should have a poser thread!
Old 06-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Any car with an AMG badge without the engine is posing IMO. You can do the kit, the wheels, the brakes, the suspension and it still doesnt count in my book.

Yes, your car will look nice and ride cool but the main ingredient is missing. The engine.

Any AMG badging on a 550, 350, etc is outside of the manufacturer and dealer created or owner created. If it didnt come from the factory with the badge, its posing as that car was not meant to carry such an honor on its sleeve.

These are my thoughts.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:17 PM
Banned

AMGs
Originally Posted by E55JAY
POSERS
+1.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:22 PM

Family Sedan w/5.5 K
Unfortunately, I think MB is the culprit behind this. They offer (at least i know they did a year back) an upgraded interior, wheels and styling package with the AMG badging. A friend of mine couldn't belive how much more the true AMG cars were, he thought it was just a styling package. I explained about the hand built motor, suspension, brakes, and he understood. In all fairness BMW offers the M badging for the upgraded suspension and styling package as well.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AW '05 C55
umm...don't they come with the AMG badge from the factory if they were ordered with the AMG bodykit package?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
You should have had your wife ask...
Old 06-21-2008, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Received 796 Likes on 495 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by 1mean55
Unfortunately, I think MB is the culprit behind this. They offer (at least i know they did a year back) an upgraded interior, wheels and styling package with the AMG badging. A friend of mine couldn't belive how much more the true AMG cars were, he thought it was just a styling package. I explained about the hand built motor, suspension, brakes, and he understood. In all fairness BMW offers the M badging for the upgraded suspension and styling package as well.
They do?? What car? I have seen sport packages with the colors on the wheels but no actual BMW with an M badge on the boot?? M3, M5, M6, M Coupe ...yes but no regular cars have I seen.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vic55
They do?? What car? I have seen sport packages with the colors on the wheels but no actual BMW with an M badge on the boot?? M3, M5, M6, M Coupe ...yes but no regular cars have I seen.
I know for a fact that BMW doesn't do that. Grew up in Germany and have own quite a few. Not cetain about AMG.
Old 06-21-2008, 01:38 PM

08 CLS63
Exactly what I was thinking.
Old 06-21-2008, 03:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'06 E55, '05 SLK55, a few others
Originally Posted by 1mean55
No, they do not "come with it", no matter what your friend or any dealer told you. It has been discussed at length in the AMG owners lounge and the factory has confirmed it. FOR THE LAST TIME guys, no car has ever been offered with an AMG badge that isn't a real AMG. The sport package, wheels, etc. do not "make" an AMG. If it had the badge on when it was bought, that happened somewhere between Affalterbach and the purchaser.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:31 PM

2007 E63
I saw a sweet S550 the other day. Nice 20" wheels with chrome lips and tinted out. Then I saw the back and he had put an AMG badge on the trunk...
Old 06-21-2008, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by Fast55
No, they do not "come with it", no matter what your friend or any dealer told you. It has been discussed at length in the AMG owners lounge and the factory has confirmed it. FOR THE LAST TIME guys, no car has ever been offered with an AMG badge that isn't a real AMG. The sport package, wheels, etc. do not "make" an AMG. If it had the badge on when it was bought, that happened somewhere between Affalterbach and the purchaser.
+1

My CL500 was ordered with the $4,000 dollar AMG Package option, which includes:

- AMG Wheels
- AMG Suspension
- AMG Bumpers
- AMG Side Body Skirts

And it DID NOT come with any AMG badges except on the wheels.
Old 06-21-2008, 05:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 561 Likes on 371 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Any car with an AMG badge without the engine is posing IMO. You can do the kit, the wheels, the brakes, the suspension and it still doesnt count in my book.

Yes, your car will look nice and ride cool but the main ingredient is missing. The engine.

Any AMG badging on a 550, 350, etc is outside of the manufacturer and dealer created or owner created. If it didnt come from the factory with the badge, its posing as that car was not meant to carry such an honor on its sleeve.

These are my thoughts.
+1,000,000

The heart of any AMG is the one man, one engine philosophy.

Even though BMW may not ascribe to the same engine building philosophy, we will string up, tar and feather anybody with ///M badges on their car when they don't belong there.

We even have one such poser in our midst as we speak....
Old 06-21-2008, 06:08 PM

2007 300C SRT-8 and 2003 HD V-ROD 100th Anniversary
I suspect that the dealers are behind this. A good friend of mine just got a brand new S550 w/the AMG kit and sure enough it came from the dealer with the AMG badge on the trunk. If I didn't know for a fact I wouldn't speak up about it, but yes, the dealers do sell cars outfitted like this.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:03 PM

Merc Eclass AMG
---
to answer you question yes and no.

IN Germany AMG is a aftermarket tuner , just like BRABUS, KLEEMAN, RENNTECH etc.
the only difference is they recently got bought out by MERC..to compete with BMW M werks and also be an OEM supplier and Tuner to MB

in Europe or specifically at AMG tuning centers,, you can option to say add an AMG interior, seats, and wheels, and say a bodykit, and keep the stock engine. and AMG and or its authroized tuning center would certify it as a official AMG modified car.. and put the AMG BADGE on it..
it does not necessarily have to be the entire engine..and AMG will say this.

this is the same in this country with BRABUS, and RENNTECH, and I have been to Brabus and seen this. as well as its authorized tuning centers like CEC wheels , down the street from me which is a major BRABUS partner.. both are here in CALIF.
its only different with AMG in the US cause they dont have tuning centers here , anymore, they used to kinda in Beverly HIlls, with Beverly hills Motoring Accessories here, which was awesome ,like 10 years ago,who would take a MB and MOD it,they were authorized by AMG as I remember,
which I went and watched many times as a fan with friends since it was like 1 mile away.
this was before MB took majority ownership in AMG a few years ago,

all the above "TUNERS" do this, some with enginemods and some without..
its a way of showing off their LOOK ,PRESTIGE as well as PERFORMANCE..

originally as I remember, if the engine was Modified, then AMG would
also to the left where the original MB engine size was
IE 450, they would replace that with a AMG letter that was larger to reflect the engine mod as well IE, 5.0 with bore and stroke etc..
whereas if they just did bodykit, or wheels or interior, they would leave the original MB enine lettering, just put AMG on the oppisite side.
which is WHY, I believe they put the AMG on the other side.. lol for the choice

now since AMG was bought by MERCEDES a few years ago, they do alot more IN HOUSE work obviously for MERC as an OEM and thus do entire cars including the engine, but still I am told offer partial AMG tuning upgrades, like interior and bodykits,which is why when you look at their catalog all the parts are in there for customers

to do the MODS, and they do as well and also offer the badges when you do a major mod ..

again Brabus and RENNTECH and KLEEMAN do the same thing..
you can buy a entire car including the engine, but you can just do a bodykit and exhaust and still get the official badge from them or their tuning center.

(had a 500 CLK a while back and had Brabus tuning do alot of mods on it
wheels exhaust, chip, lowering, headers, seats, interior etc.)

so does AC Schnitzer, BMW M, DINAN etc for BMW

as far as I know this has been going on since the late sixties with AMG
and 70's with the others..

now Im not saying people should either like this or not be pissed, or should care or not care,, Im just passing on the info.. cause someone asked..

I understand from several dealers and from trade papers and a "source" close to the situation that AMG will be opening like 12 tuning centers again all over the US,at MB dealers with trained senior AMG techs and another like 10 internationally to do PARTIAL TUNING again, like mentioned above, and offer MB customers a way to AMG TUNE their cars close to , partially or completely the same as a factory MB AMG showroom car,ranging from interior, bodykits, engines,exhaust, etc, and then certify it as AMG, complete with badges,, lol

I also understand from several people the reason MB and AMG are doing this is smart, and because they realize that people are doing it anyway, in the billions of dollars modding their cars,at dealers and at other shops and its good business, and also MB customers intially may not opt for a AMG car, but later may change their mind, or want some AMG options and not others,, and this way they can make money and not maintain alot of "inventory and stock AMG cars.
its also a way to guarantee the AMG name and quality of workmanship

a sort of AMG custom order tuning shop, and I think its a good idea and the smart move..

FORD Chrysler and GM all do this too now at dealers with their
"Motorsports performance Divisions, for MUSTANGS, VIPERS, CORVETTES
GT 40's, etc, where you can order the "ford motorsports or SALEEN racing parts, and have a dealer put them on with full warranty.

I personally look at it ( the AMG MOD ) as MERC vs BMW, lol and a way to show and be proud
of having a MERC, and some Mods, to compete with BMW M WERKS
cars floating around.. its a sort of friendly rivalry between the 2
and that is how it is in german between the 2 and many respective owners that started in the 70's and continues today..
so AMG modders and MERC owners and AMG/MERC owners should stick together and be a brotherhood, and save the worries for the M (J)erks and
BMW dudes.. lol ( a joke only !, sense of humor required !)

people also can wear Celtics or lakers T shirts, does not mean they are on the team, either,, means they like it and back it and root for it..or like the look
to fight over who is a fan longer, or paid for original season tickets. etc is kinda dumb, just celebrate it or dont.

just some info answering a guys question and IMHO , so dont attack the messenger lol

Last edited by UBERKAR; 06-21-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by UBERKAR
---

IN Germany AMG is a aftermarket tuner , just like BRABUS, KLEEMAN, RENNTECH etc.
the only difference is they recently got bought out by MERC..to compete with M werks and also be an OEM supplier and Tuner to MB

in Europe or specifically at AMG tuning centers,, you can option to say add an AMG interior, seats, and wheels, and say a bodykit, and keep the stock engine. and AMG and or its authroized tuning center would certify it as a official AMG modified car.. and put the AMG BADGE on it..

also to the right where the original MB engine size was
IE 450, they would replace that with a AMG letter that was larger to reflect the engine mod as well IE, 5.0 with bore and stroke etc..
whereas if they just did bodykit, or wheels or interior, they would leave the original MB enine lettering, just put AMG on the oppisite side.

this is the same in this country with BRABUS, and RENNTECH, and I have been to Brabus and seen this. as well as its authorized tuning centers like CEC wheels which is a BRABUS partner.. both are here in CALIF.
its only different with AMG in the US cause they dont have tuningcenters here , anymore, they used to kinda in Beverly HIlls, with Beverly hills Motoring Accessories here, which was awesome ,like 10 years ago,who would take a MB and MOD it,
which I went and watched many times as a fan with friends since it was like 1 mile away.

now since AMG was bought by MERCEDES a few years ago, they do alot more
IN HOUSE work obviously for MERC as an OEM and thus do entire cars including the engine, but still I am told offer partial AMG tuning upgrades, like interior and bodykits,which is why when you look at their catalog all the parts are in there for customers

to do the MODS, and they do as well and also offer the badges when you do a major mod ..

again brabus and RENNTECH and KLEEMAN do the same thing..

now Im not saying people should either like this or not be pissed, or should care or not care,, Im just passing on the info.. cause someone asked..

I understand from several dealers and from trade papers and a "source" close to the situation that AMG will be opening like 12 tuning centers again all over the US,at MB dealers with trained senior AMG techs and another like 10 internationally to do PARTIAL TUNING again, like mentioned above, and offer MB customers a way to AMG TUNE their cars close to , partially or completely the same as a factory MB AMG showroom car,ranging from interior, bodykits, engines,exhaust, etc, and then certify it as AMG, complete with badges,, lol

I also understand from several people the reason MB and AMG are doing this is smart, and because they realize that people are doing it anyway, in the billions of dollars modding their cars,at dealers and at other shops and its good business, and also MB customers intially may not opt for a AMG car, but later may change their mind, or want some AMG options and not others,, and this way they can make money and not maintain alot of "inventory and stock AMG cars.

a sort of AMG custom order tuning shop, and I think its a good idea and the smart move..

GT 40's, etc, where you can order the "ford motorsports or SALEEN racing parts, and have a dealer put them on with full warranty.

I personally look at it ( the AMG MOD ) as MERC vs BMW, lol and a way to show and be proud
and that is how it is in german between the 2 and many respective owners that started in the 70's and continues today..
so AMG modders and MERC owners and AMG/MERC owners should stick together and be a brotherhood, and save the worries for the M erks and
BMW dudes.. lol ( a joke )

people also can wear Celtics or lakers T shirts, does not mean they are on the team, either,, means they like it and back it and root for it..or like the look
to fight over who is a fan longer, or paid for original season tickets. etc is kinda dumb, just celebrate it or dont.

just some info answering a guys question and IMHO , so dont attack the messenger lol
If you actually owned an AMG, you'd be able to join the private lounge and ask this question of actual AMG officials. But since you don't, you're just making even more of an a$$ of yourself than you already have. 99% of what you just posted is 100% bull***t.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:13 PM

Merc Eclass AMG
Originally Posted by Fast55
If you actually owned an AMG, you'd be able to join the private lounge and ask this question of actual AMG officials. But since you don't, you're just making even more of an a$$ of yourself than you already have. 99% of what you just posted is 100% bull***t.

actually its not.. ask them , I have.. and asked in germany as well.

read the history of AMG, sometime, there are books, and papers on it

you should like you are just mouthing off and bored lol .

im in SO CAL where all these MB tuning companies are, and been to them,
have you? lol

Nope.. thats what I thought. DHOA
Old 06-21-2008, 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLK550
Originally Posted by UBERKAR
---

the only difference is they recently got bought out by MERC..to compete with BMW M werks and also be an OEM supplier and Tuner to MB

this is the same in this country with BRABUS, and RENNTECH, and I have been to Brabus and seen this. as well as its authorized tuning centers like CEC wheels , down the street from me which is a major BRABUS partner.. both are here in CALIF.
its only different with AMG in the US cause they dont have tuning centers here , anymore, they used to kinda in Beverly HIlls, with Beverly hills Motoring Accessories here, which was awesome ,like 10 years ago,who would take a MB and MOD it,

also to the right where the original MB engine size was

now since AMG was bought by MERCEDES a few years ago, they do alot more IN HOUSE work obviously for MERC as an OEM and thus do entire cars including the engine, but still I am told offer partial AMG tuning upgrades, like interior and bodykits,which is why when you look at their catalog all the parts are in there for customers

again Brabus and RENNTECH and KLEEMAN do the same thing..
you can buy a entire car including the engine, but you can just do a bodykit and exhaust and still get the official badge from them or their tuning center.

(had a 500 CLK a while back and had Brabus tuning do alot of mods on it
wheels exhaust, chip, lowering, headers, seats, interior etc.)

so AMG modders and MERC owners and AMG/MERC owners should stick together and be a brotherhood, and save the worries for the M erks and
BMW dudes.. lol ( a joke )

Says the guy with a 6.3 badge on a non AMG car..correct me if i'm wrong...but, do i see a 6.3 badge on your fender? If so why do i not see your AMG BBK's?

And if AMG is a tuner, how come i don't see people with E500's doing AMG engine work in europe? Just becuase they make parts does not make them a Tuner. You can't buy AMG parts without a AMG car VIN # (from my understanding) so that says it all. And please...keep the Sports teams out of this convo...this has nothing to do with the lakers

Last edited by user 76208202; 06-21-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Calling Cylinder Head, calling Cylinder Head. Your favorite uber-poser is at it again.
Old 06-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Merc Eclass AMG
[quote=Amiricanmade;2896964]Correct me if i'm wrong...but, do i see a 6.3 badge on your fender? If so why do i not see your AMG BBK's?
----------

actually I do have cross drilled Rotors, and I happen to think along with alot of other racing experts and car companies that

BREMBO brakes are better, than AMG;s that come on the MB cars
and there are other companies like

Stillen Racing, (Steve Millen) or BAER Brakes, or AP Racing
which are better than even BREMBO's and are true track brakes
on 220 MPH cars like Nascar,IRL,GT etc

AMG brakes certainly are larger than stock, 1 inch " but not large enough for a 20" wheel for example, and also dont resist HEAT FADE and warping as well as the others, so when you have like a 14" AMG brake with a 20" wheel the rotation mass of the wheel, and the unsprung weight are not matched to that brake size, and braking distance and performance can suffer.
so you would need a 15"-15.5 inch brake like the BREMBO or
Stillen or BAER brakes offer if you have larger than 18" amg factory wheels

I am going to get either the STILLEN, or AP Racing or BAER brakes, cause I know they are way better than the AMG's and why tons of race cars use them

I also have larger wheels, so the 14" AMG brakes are not matched correctly to my wheels like they are to a smaller 18" stock amg wheel

thats not to say the AMG brakes are not good they are, but for the same money, the above are better..
and good for like 15-20 feet better stopping distance and better brake fade resistance.

your quote
"And if AMG is a tuner, how come i don't see people with E500's doing AMG engine work in europe? Just becuase they make parts does not make them a Tuner. You can't buy AMG parts without a AMG car VIN #...that says it all."
--

not true..
AMG was and always will be a Tuner, for high performance MB and racing..
that is how they started,, read their BOOKS, and educate yourself
and that is not true, I have got parts all the time without VIN,
the VIN is so the dealers get the right part and dont get stuck with it,
and many dont even require it.. maybe your dealer is just difficult lol

there are tons of people on this forum who have many AMG parts body kits brakes, wheels etc, they got from their dealers, who originally had non AMG cars or partial AMG cars ie AMG package

as far as AMG they also make parts..they also tune racing cars which is how they started.
and you can get parts from AMG, in germany or through MB dealers

the also tune MB cars into MB AMG cars..

what is so hard to understand?

Last edited by UBERKAR; 06-21-2008 at 07:47 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Seriously, Is there such a thing as a CLS550 AMG?