Sponsored by:

DO I HAVE A LEMON?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95 m3, 03 e55
DO I HAVE A LEMON?

03 mbz E55 - bought it when it first came out. I cant believe the crap this thing gets serviced for. It's my brother's so I didn't hear about the work getting done; till it was done.

anyways for the major work:

- Tranny -$10K complete replace; failed at 56K after warranty.
- Half a year later, last week: The tranny fluid was contaminated because the radiator was leaking. total job cost $2500 - replace radiator and tranny flush.
- When i jump on the gas, a red notice came up: Reduce Oil level - took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it with the tranny fluid flush and radiator crap in the previous job..... Still has the damn engine notice when i floor the car.

there's more, the dealer isn't sending me my service history that i requested a month ago... but i saw it and it was a half a foot tall. it takes up a fifth of the file cabinet.

the car has 63k miles now... and no warranty. My brother spent more than $30k servicing the car. waht do i got? is it too late to declare lemon after the warranty. Oh, and one of the S600's radiator broke. what are the coincidence?
Old 06-28-2008, 07:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
No, it is not a lemon but I think the dealer is a lemon.

My guess without seeing the car is that all of the problems are related to a defective heat exchanger (the E55 uses engine coolant to cool the transmission cooler) for the transmission.

It was probably leaking coolant into the trans fluid and caused the first tranny failure. THey only replaced the tranny and a year later it has another issue. Instead of replacing everything like they should have, it sounds like they did a patch repair and guess what...now you have an issue again.

If the heat exchanger failes and contaminates the tranny fluid resulting in any symptoms, you should do one of the following:

1. Replace the heat exchanger for the tranny, replace the tranny, replace the torque converter, flush all fluid lines.

2. Rebuild and flush the tranny and torque converter and replace the heat exchanger.

Coolant in the tranny is a really bad things and causes damage very quickly.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:05 PM

E55
Originally Posted by JUm3
- Half a year later, last week: The tranny fluid was contaminated because the radiator was leaking. total job cost $2500 - replace radiator and tranny flush.
This repair is part of a technical bulletin... while these are "technically" not covered under warranty you should be able to twist their arm to have a "known problem" repaired at no cost no matter the mileage. The thing that sucks is your dealer could have double dipped from mbusa; they charge you the 25 hundo and then submit to mb for reimbursement.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
I have a hard time believing your brother had so many problems and did not get an extended warranty.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:51 AM

95 m3, 03 e55
sorry for getting back to you guys so late... My car is acting up: 6k maintainene for a 13 yr old M3.
Old 07-04-2008, 02:00 AM

95 m3, 03 e55
Originally Posted by Blacksport350
No, it is not a lemon but I think the dealer is a lemon.

My guess without seeing the car is that all of the problems are related to a defective heat exchanger (the E55 uses engine coolant to cool the transmission cooler) for the transmission.

It was probably leaking coolant into the trans fluid and caused the first tranny failure. THey only replaced the tranny and a year later it has another issue. Instead of replacing everything like they should have, it sounds like they did a patch repair and guess what...now you have an issue again.

If the heat exchanger failes and contaminates the tranny fluid resulting in any symptoms, you should do one of the following:

1. Replace the heat exchanger for the tranny, replace the tranny, replace the torque converter, flush all fluid lines.

2. Rebuild and flush the tranny and torque converter and replace the heat exchanger.

Coolant in the tranny is a really bad things and causes damage very quickly.

yeah, i tried to concinve the dealer saying... that if this was the actual problem why they replaced the tranny in the first place; but the service advisor was being unreasonable about it. They couldn't even give me the right answer to why the tranny needed to be replaced anyways. They said they would give me a copy of the work with reasonings... and it's been weeks without one.

In essence, they've done nothing for me. and they're evil
Old 07-04-2008, 02:01 AM

95 m3, 03 e55
Originally Posted by supre55
This repair is part of a technical bulletin... while these are "technically" not covered under warranty you should be able to twist their arm to have a "known problem" repaired at no cost no matter the mileage. The thing that sucks is your dealer could have double dipped from mbusa; they charge you the 25 hundo and then submit to mb for reimbursement.

they covered a couple of things udner warranty that would of totalled to $3k. but its only a fraction of what this car has actually cost.

Where would i find proof of this "technical bulletin"... and how would i present it to them?
Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 AM

95 m3, 03 e55
Originally Posted by Timeless
I have a hard time believing your brother had so many problems and did not get an extended warranty.
i cant believe the expensive thigns break after warranty ends... it's liek mercedes timed that... Originally it was on a lease, and we end up going over the warranty, thus resulting to teh tranny replacement.... after we spend about 10k on the tranny, we figure we keep the damn thing...

and i dont know what normal extned warranties go for, but my friend quoted me 5k for the one that "will" take liability for everything.
Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Sounds like you've been screwed all over the place. Extended warranty could be had for $2500.00.

10K for a tranny also seems unreasonable.

Lot of things really not adding up.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 PM

95 m3, 03 e55
Originally Posted by Timeless
Sounds like you've been screwed all over the place. Extended warranty could be had for $2500.00.

10K for a tranny also seems unreasonable.

Lot of things really not adding up.

well im still waiting for a copy of the service history that, i saw... it was half a foot thick..
Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 E63S and 2015 Macan S
Originally Posted by JUm3
03 mbz E55 - bought it when it first came out. I cant believe the crap this thing gets serviced for. It's my brother's so I didn't hear about the work getting done; till it was done.

anyways for the major work:

- Tranny -$10K complete replace; failed at 56K after warranty.
- When i jump on the gas, a red notice came up: Reduce Oil level - took it to the dealer and they diagnosed it with the tranny fluid flush and radiator crap in the previous job..... Still has the damn engine notice when i floor the car.

there's more, the dealer isn't sending me my service history that i requested a month ago... but i saw it and it was a half a foot tall. it takes up a fifth of the file cabinet.

the car has 63k miles now... and no warranty. My brother spent more than $30k servicing the car. waht do i got? is it too late to declare lemon after the warranty. Oh, and one of the S600's radiator broke. what are the coincidence?
Tranny should have a longer seperate warranty you should look into that if this helps. Good luck
Old 07-07-2008, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 368 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
I don't get the $10k to replace the tranny, aren't those 5-speeds as common as turbo400's at this point?
Old 07-07-2008, 12:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
03 have problems.. but all can be iron out.

I would talk to the owner of the dealer or Director of Service for MB for that area.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:12 PM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
C63S past: E90 M3 6M, w211 E55
does anybody have information on the radiator leakage? TSB?

Have an 03 with 51,000 miles on it, and the dealer wants to charge $3000 for the repair. Being the car is just past warranty, I would like to bring up this issue with MBUSA and the dealer!!

Thanks!

Ernest
Old 08-25-2008, 05:22 PM
dsc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 E55
You have probably been out of warranty longer. It's based on years or milage. Which ever comes first.