Sponsored by:

Mercedes to Cut Petroleum Out of Lineup by 2015

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
I seriously doubt they'll stop all gas car production by that date. Maybe they'll start phasing it out or introduce new technologies, but definitely not stop.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silver wagon with Kleeman K1 and LSD
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle1314732.ece

The secret....mercedes F700

Last edited by SWED E55-04; 06-30-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:56 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by Cylinder Head
Here's a secret: We have enough oil to continue burning fossil fuels at current and projected rates for over 200 years.

I know. But its the last thing the Saudis and oil barons want you to know.
Last i checked i could no longer drill a hole in my back yard and get oil
also i believe the years we have been told are around 50-70 years till it runs out.
I for one am not looking forward to it !
and as others have stated to many people who hold alt of power/influence in our world will make sure oil is still the number one power provider, we are talking $$$ at global levels here
Old 07-01-2008, 01:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by lauer87
The TQ is available from 1rpm up until the electic motor's redline, with a flat torque curve. The thing that SHOULD happen is a small gas/diesel motor powering a generator to drive small but powerful electric traction motors are two or all four wheels. Like a tiny locomotive. Oh and for those that think electric/hybrids aren't fast cars, look up the Tesla roadster. Currently the technology is still very young for automobiles, and they are having "issues" figuring out the gearing/transmission set-up, and top speeds aren't quite what we would be used to. Give the technology time to develop.

I still doubt MB will be completely petroleum free by 2015.
Agreed.

By 2015? We can not have the electrical grid in place by then unless we start building nuke plants as fast as we can. I think McCain wants to start >100, which if fine by me.

As for performance, 500HP at the wheels (125 per wheel) is no problem with electric vehicles, and as you said, you get 100% torque at 0RPM. The torque is also much more than you would get from a gas powered engine. The problem is energy storage and surge power. Surge power will get solved sooner. Energy storage is the big problem.

McCain said the US Gov't should pay someone $300M for battery technology that matches petrolium. HAHAHAHAHA. If someone can do that, they can expect to beat Bill Gates at >$40B.

The best examples are at drag strips. Electrics are not allowed to compete against petrolium because they are just so damn fast. IF all you need to do is go 1/4 mile, then the energy problem is solved. Imagine a dragster with big slicks on all 4 wheels.

Give me a one day 300mile highway range and 200mile "AMG" range with a 75-100mile/hr charge rate and I would probably buy.

AMG could provide cars with upgraded surge power capacity, improved regeneration, improved charge time, improved battery packs, and of course better handling.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 562 Likes on 372 Posts
'19 E63S, ‘16 CLS63 RIP, '09 E63 Gone, '06 M5 Gone, '97 Supra TT Gone
Originally Posted by Zod
Last i checked i could no longer drill a hole in my back yard and get oil
also i believe the years we have been told are around 50-70 years till it runs out.
I for one am not looking forward to it !
and as others have stated to many people who hold alt of power/influence in our world will make sure oil is still the number one power provider, we are talking $$$ at global levels here
There is 3 times the total amount of oil in Saudi Arabia in North American shale deposits. The powers that be in Saudi Arabia only profit from the thinking that oil is going to run out, if they told you there was no shortage, they wouldn't be making record profits.

Sure we've picked all of the low-hanging fruit, all of the easy to get at oil is all but gone. We've barely scratched the surface of offshore drilling.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Sure we've picked all of the low-hanging fruit, all of the easy to get at oil is all but gone. We've barely scratched the surface of offshore drilling.
And as long as the Dem's keep blocking it, we NEVER will, IMHO

See yeah

PS: NO WAY will petro be gone by 2015. I'll bet the house on it. Wait a minute, I already have
Old 07-01-2008, 03:31 PM
CWW
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
SL600
Here's a secret: We have enough oil to continue burning fossil fuels at current and projected rates for over 200 years.

I know. But its the last thing the Saudis and oil barons want you to know.
Ya, the whole thing is such a scam. Especially with that new deposit they just found off the coast of alaska that has more oil than all the current middle eastern producers combined.

The oil companies used to do press releases on new discoveries and give very public monthly updates on their proven reserves, but they have really toned that down lately. I truly believe they are trying to be hush-hush to avoid dropping the price. Pretty shady.

Consumers will run out of money to buy oil before we actually run out of oil, the way they are running this silly shell game lately.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:21 AM

Tesla Model 3
I think that F700 concept crap looks absolutely disgusting....seriously, it looks like absolute crap...hope that's not what future mercedes looks like...

I've heard that Merc was working on some diesel hybrids, that should be interesting and pretty good until they find some alternate energy, or maybe we'll just keep sticking to oil. IMO, electric cars are probably the future, yeah you still need some oil, but electricity can be obtained from many sources

okay, a lot of people praise the prius, and a lot give it crap. i don't like the car, it's mpgs are pretty good, but the car is way overhyped, it's not going to save the earth. in its defense though, people always compare it to the smart and the polo diesel...come on you can't be serious? the smart is like 1/2 or 1/3 of a prius, the polo again, it's like 2 class sizes away from the prius...compare it to like a corolla or something,

what do u guys think of that new fisker electric/hybrid car coming out? the one that looks like a maserati and aston put together
Old 07-02-2008, 02:29 AM

2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
Originally Posted by bigben320e
I just do not believe this. Even if Mercedes said it, I still don't. Next thing we will hear Mercedes will be producing flying cars.

I call:
Doesn't you car fly?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Originally Posted by Chargin55
Doesn't you car fly?
The 1999 Le Mans Mercedes CLR-GTR certainly took flight.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by lexaltezza
Agreed. I guess soon though, the sound of an exhaust will be a thing of the past.
I heard an NPR story the other day about this. Apparently there are issues with the silence of electric cars, especially for the blind, since they rely on the sound of traffic to get around safely in traffic, so there is some University contest on to create a synthetic sound that is played out of little speakers to mimic the sound of an auto engine.

I'll see if I can find a link to the story, the sound they played on the radio was pretty cool.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:38 PM
Almost a Member!

2003 E55 AMG
Found it:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91751319
Old 07-03-2008, 03:53 AM
Almost a Member!

E55 or CL600, if I could make up my mind
In other news, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Nucleon
Old 07-05-2008, 02:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheeled car.
My 2010 Im cutting cholesterol from my diet.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL65
Nonsense.

Biofuel isn't going anywhere, I'd be suprised if it doesn't go away. The skyrocketing price of food will see to that.

Electric cars? Technology isn't anywhere near ready yet. Range is too short for anything but inner city driving. Power grids aren't going to be able to handle them.

Solar? Ha ha ha... You guys in the NW better like walking.

Fuel cell? Haven't heard that failure of a technology mentioned in a while. I think the last time I heard it was in the same sentance as betamax.
Old 07-05-2008, 01:36 PM

E55 AMG
Agreed

Originally Posted by joshd
I really don't care what type of fuel will propel the future AMG, as long as the principals remain. As long as there is a dominating amount of acceleration combined with refined luxury and sportiness, it wont really matter what type of technology is under the hood. I do wonder though if they'll still hand build and sign a plaque for an electric/fuel cell/whatever motor
Agreed. Although I highly doubt this story, I wouldn't care what powers the car as long as it maintains the same or better level of performance. Besides, the low hum and whine of some seriously powerful electric motors might be kind of cool.