W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, this is probably the dumbest question ever asked here but...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
Question OK, this is probably the dumbest question ever asked here but...

I'm looking to help my Mom buy a new to her car and she keeps insisting that if I get her a car that was built for California, she will have issues with it in Virginia because of different emission requirements...

I mean, that is completely retarded...right? Anyone ever hear of this nonsense? I can't find anything when googling...
Old 06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
If anything, it would be the other way around.

California usually adopts the stringent emissions first, followed by the rest of the country.

They went OBD-II a full year earlier (1988) than the rest of the US, for example.

2010 diesel regs were adopted last year.

Last edited by ChicagoX; 06-30-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-30-2008, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
May not apply to your case, but Florida now charges a fee to bring a car into the state, that was previously registered out of state.

How do you spell scam.....t-a-x
Old 06-30-2008, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Exactly what they said, California emmisions requirments are amongst the strictest in the nation, she will have no problems passing emmisions in another state.

As for the second post, he is also correct, more and more states are requiring "safty inspections" and emmisions tests for people who relocate from another state and attemp to register their automobiles in their new state. This is just another way for the state to make money. I have friends that moved to Philly, PA and had to pay hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars in fees for each vehicle to get there cars registered and then they had "safty inspections" every couple years on top of that.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
Exactly what they said, California emmisions requirments are amongst the strictest in the nation, she will have no problems passing emmisions in another state.

As for the second post, he is also correct, more and more states are requiring "safty inspections" and emmisions tests for people who relocate from another state and attemp to register their automobiles in their new state. This is just another way for the state to make money. I have friends that moved to Philly, PA and had to pay hundreds (maybe thousands) of dollars in fees for each vehicle to get there cars registered and then they had "safty inspections" every couple years on top of that.
Thanks. As far as her concerns, she is worried something about the engine or cats or something will be damaged, not that it won't pass emissions. I would assume emissions wouldn't be a problem simply because California has the tightest that I am aware of.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Thanks. As far as her concerns, she is worried something about the engine or cats or something will be damaged, not that it won't pass emissions. I would assume emissions wouldn't be a problem simply because California has the tightest that I am aware of.
What does a damaged engine or cats have to do with where she lived? Is she worried about getting the correct replacment parts? If that is her concern she need not be concerned, when the dealer service department keys in here VIN number they will know it is a California emmisions car, they will replace the part with the same California emmision equipment.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by jrcart
What does a damaged engine or cats have to do with where she lived? Is she worried about getting the correct replacment parts? If that is her concern she need not be concerned, when the dealer service department keys in here VIN number they will know it is a California emmisions car, they will replace the part with the same California emmision equipment.
Different fuel cocktails or something?

Like I said, it doesn't make any sense to me. A friend of hers' brother said he had engine trouble with a car he bought from California and blamed it on the cars are built differently.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by Yacht Master
How do you spell scam.....t-a-x
Good one.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
Different fuel cocktails or something? ...
While California does mandate the use of oxygenated fuels, it is no different than any other large metro areas in the rest of the nation in that regard. EPA-deemed "air quality action areas" are also subject to the same requirements. Chicago and New York are two such examples; our fuel energy density and subsequent mileage suffers as a consequence.

I doubt that it would have a significant impact on emissions-control devices, however.