Airmatic Failure AGAIN!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 02:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 41 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes
Airmatic Failure AGAIN!!!!

So I am driving back in the city tonight and all of a sudden i get the error message....stop, car too low.....so I pull over and I am thinking "oh no not again" I get outside the car and it is sitting on top of the tire!! This is now the second time that this has happened!!! The first time was on he left side and now it was on the right!!! I am taking the car to service tomorrow, but has anyone else has this problem. My first problem happened at 28000 miles and I took the car in for service and they changed out the entire suspension assembly on the left side. It was covered by warranty but took a week to do!! Now I have to take the car back again for the same problem on a different side....WTF very annoying. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their cars...just wondering

Old 07-01-2008, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
I've had this problem before too man I though it was the pump but I was wrong it was the strut it self. Here's my thread on this issue (on a w220)
https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w220/248261-finally-happenedoairmatic-collapsed.html

They replaced it under warranty.. it's a 3000$ job (Canadian) and took about 3 days

Last edited by benz_addict; 07-01-2008 at 02:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:33 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
its the strut

part is 1200-1400 retail at dealer fyi
Old 07-01-2008, 03:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
damn..being car-less sucks...was your car lowered by elm, washers, or star by chance?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
washers....but only by a small margin. That actually came to mind if why the suspension failed. I dont know....
Old 07-01-2008, 03:35 AM

e55 w/LET TUNE Drinks: vodka STRAIGHT Wheels: 19" HRE 547r Mods:FF headers ASP Pulley
mine was washers
and my right side failed

dont know if it means anything
Old 07-01-2008, 03:53 AM

germans
Originally Posted by theeddie
mine was washers
and my right side failed

dont know if it means anything
Mechanically, I don't think washers had an effect on the premature failure with so few miles. The washer drop is a mild drop IMO, but did the techs see the washers and say anything about it?
Old 07-01-2008, 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by gonzjed
Mechanically, I don't think washers had an effect on the premature failure with so few miles. The washer drop is a mild drop IMO, but did the techs see the washers and say anything about it?

Don't rationalize to feel better. Lowering the Airmatic stresses it anyways as would adding larger rims (is that the case here as well?), but the washers are risky. Lets see if one didn't come out.....
Old 07-01-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'06 E55
Mine failed at 30K and I am not lowered. As much as I love this car there is no way I will keep it once the extended warranty is up.
Old 07-01-2008, 01:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55
Same thing happened to me saturday, car is being fixed as we speak. That had to replace the strut, I bout the car used, no warranty. Glad I got a good price.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
I've said it a MILLION times... mechanially lowering your car with washers and by other cheap and corner-cutting means has shown to cause failure! Pay $250 and have a tech lower it through the STAR system. I don't understand why people pay so much for these cars and don't lower them properly!!!

Alexandar, when you get your car back, throw the washers in the garbage, call CPT, and have Al lower the car for you the right way. You will be much happier.

-m
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
I've said it a MILLION times... mechanially lowering your car with washers and by other cheap and corner-cutting means has shown to cause failure! Pay $250 and have a tech lower it through the STAR system. I don't understand why people pay so much for these cars and don't lower them properly!!!

Alexandar, when you get your car back, throw the washers in the garbage, call CPT, and have Al lower the car for you the right way. You will be much happier.

-m
Marcus when you are right, you are right. I am going to just do it the right way and be done with it!!!
Old 07-02-2008, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels

-m
My CLS is lowered through SDS as was the E55 and E63.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:43 AM

2003-E55 2011-C63 2016-C63S
This has happened to me once before. I stopped for a while, re started the car and problem gone. Has not happened since. I often get the "vehicle rising" malfunction warning. not sure if thats related.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:02 AM

well when lowering a car ANYWAY. you should replace the shocks

i dont think the washers have anymore to do with it then then doing it with star
Old 07-02-2008, 05:14 AM

germans

i dont think the washers have anymore to do with it then then doing it with star
i concur
Old 07-02-2008, 10:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212

HAHA!! If only we had some shocks to get....
I've used all the methods. In fact, i still have my set of front links that were modified from way before aftermarket ones were available. BUT, the ELM and STAR lowerings are different in how the car responds to the lower. The washers simply fool the computer, whereas the ELM (RT's) and STAR do not. They both change the target that the computer is looking for. In the end, yes they both lower. But, the ride is a big difference.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars

eddie,

The beauty of lowering through star is that you are actually keeping the height within specification of the original suspension - which typically allows for up to 1" of lowering. Unlike doing springs and not changing shocks on your traditional setup, this is all within factory specs. The washer method is the equivalent of springs without shocks. I understand it is tempting, but people need to be advised of the real risks that are presented! The washers allow the car to go out of spec and change the suspension dynamics tremendously and has been well documented in multiple platforms to cause failure.

-m
Old 07-02-2008, 02:33 PM

eddie,

The beauty of lowering through star is that you are actually keeping the height within specification of the original suspension - which typically allows for up to 1" of lowering. Unlike doing springs and not changing shocks on your traditional setup, this is all within factory specs. The washer method is the equivalent of springs without shocks. I understand it is tempting, but people need to be advised of the real risks that are presented! The washers allow the car to go out of spec and change the suspension dynamics tremendously and has been well documented in multiple platforms to cause failure.

-m
after reading j post.

im starting to agree. i forget the car moves as we drive and it may move even further down with washers then when driving with star.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
after reading j post.

im starting to agree. i forget the car moves as we drive and it may move even further down with washers then when driving with star.
You've got it! Do not forget that with the washers the ECU thinks your height is at a certain level, when in fact it is not. So whatever adjustments on the fly it is making it is doing so with the wrong information - not limited to lowering the car when it is already too low and not raising the car enough when it has to. This will almost inevitably lead to failure with the Airmatic system.

When adjusting the ECU through STAR, you can simply change the voltage values in the ECU to ranges that are still acceptable and values that are actually TRUE. You may not be able to SLAM the car, but 1" of lowering is more than adequate for most drivers out there and still looks great.

-m
Old 07-02-2008, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
You've got it! Do not forget that with the washers the ECU thinks your height is at a certain level, when in fact it is not. So whatever adjustments on the fly it is making it is doing so with the wrong information - not limited to lowering the car when it is already too low and not raising the car enough when it has to. This will almost inevitably lead to failure with the Airmatic system.

When adjusting the ECU through STAR, you can simply change the voltage values in the ECU to ranges that are still acceptable and values that are actually TRUE. You may not be able to SLAM the car, but 1" of lowering is more than adequate for most drivers out there and still looks great.

-m
Do you know of any Tech's or shops in Southern CA. that can do this work?? thank you..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:14 AM

e500
Originally Posted by Thericker
Do you know of any Tech's or shops in Southern CA. that can do this work?? thank you..
Which work? STAR lowering? You can call Vadim over at VRP.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Neoii
Which work? STAR lowering? You can call Vadim over at VRP.
Are you serious? too kewl!!!! do you know how much they charge? Thank you...
Old 07-03-2008, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
Originally Posted by Thericker
Are you serious? too kewl!!!! do you know how much they charge? Thank you...
Its best to call Vadim. I had mine lowered at MBLN but Vadim could do it without hassle and he knows what he is doing. It literally only takes minutes to do the lowering, though the alignment takes a bit more time.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Its best to call Vadim. I had mine lowered at MBLN but Vadim could do it without hassle and he knows what he is doing. It literally only takes minutes to do the lowering, though the alignment takes a bit more time.
Thanx! I just pm'd him I also need them to install some 6000k hid's I bought...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Airmatic Failure AGAIN!!!!