Prism Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 11:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Prism Extended Warranty

Has anyone heard of this warranty or had any experience with it?

The background - I was at the dealership this week and I talked to the finance manager about extended warranties. I asked for a quote on a genuine MB warranty and he told me that he rarely ever sells one. He said that Prism is actually better. I could buy either one, but he recommended Prism.

His reasoning for the recommendation
  • Prism is cancelable as well as transferable
  • Prism is good for 5 years (up to 100K miles) from date of purchase. The purchase can be made just before the expiration of the MB warranty, giving almost 9 years of coverage.
  • Prism is good at any ASE certified repair facility
  • Prism issues a credit card to use for repairs at places that do not accept the warranty. This avoids payment and filing for reimbursement. (Sounds like BS to me, but who am I to question him?)

The disadvantages are the up front cost (about $1K more than the MB) and the $100 deductible.

So, does anyone have any comments that you would like to discuss?

Thanks for your input.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Prizm

If its the same as PRIZM or Total Shield, then I do and have used the warranty. I used it to replace my cluster worth $1200 at the dealer. They do have a cap on the labor rate at I think $100/hour. They do use credit card to pay for the work. Since then, I also used the warranty to fix my motor mounts, and rear sub-frame mounts. Due to the labor limit I used my Indy mechanic and he said they were great to deal with.

If your interested let me know and I'll see if I can get you a deal.
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Thanks. I wouldn't be ready to purchase until February, or so, as the five year clock starts the day of purchase. Sounds like an OK deal. I can live with the labor cap and pay the difference. It shouldn't be too much of out of pocket expenses to deal with.
Old 07-06-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 E55
Cool, its good cause you can purchase it before your current warranty expires. I would suggest to make sure you purchase a month before the current one expires (the mileage may change the rate slightly).

Old 07-07-2008, 04:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
check the company profile on the BBB website. also take a look at Mercury Platinum, I use it for one of my other cars and am very happy and glad to say the least. good luck with your decision.