Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'98 C43 AMG. Obsidian Blk w/2 tone slvr/blk interior
ive been hating on the cooking airbox ontop of the stove (motor) is there an alternative intake thats compatible with these motors of ours?
Old 08-01-2008, 09:07 PM

E46 M3
I really like the look of that! result!
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Agreed on MAJOR restriction and I bet you will love it at the track .

Looks good, too.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Very nice! Love the look! Just a thought, but how about designing the inlet into some sort of velocity stack rather than just sticking a pipe out in front? I’m not sure if this will make a drastic difference, but it won’t hurt to try. I remember ITBs are designed this way. Just think of it as funneling more air. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails Headlight intake?-velocity_stack_workings.gif  
Old 08-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
I dunno if I'd want a funnel sticking out of the front. I think he has a pretty open port, there. A simple netting over it, at best. I don't think things would climb up. I've always cut the little flaps in mine, but the holes are so much smaller.

The TB is also only about 3"!! that is the issue we may hit next. Is anyone using any type of vortexing thing?
Old 08-02-2008, 09:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
I am not an engineer or anything even close, but a velocity stack sticking forward out of the nose would not offer any improvment over the inlet shown in pics. I races supebikes back before the bikes came with ram air from the factory, we did a lot of experimentation developing/rigging our own ram-air systems. To the best of my knowledge a velocity stack is used to calm turbulance before entering the in-take, it is not a "ram air" device and I thought they should only be mounted upright or backwards (like on some motorcycles, old VW beetle and some old Ferarris and Fiats. Pointing the opening forward is really not going to do any more than his current set-up that utilizes the headlight cavity, and his current set-up looks super clean. He needs to make sure the opening is smooth with no sharp angles or burs that could upset the air flow, from the pics I can see it appears he did a nice job. If he wanted to improve it he could find a machine shop to machine him two light weight aluminum bezels with big radius just to ensure it is a smooth opening/entrance for the air flow. At speed the air is going to be forced in either way. I also believe the duct/opening needs to be considerably larger than the tubes to get the desired "ram-air" effect that the person posting about the velocity stacks is getting at. At some point the air needs to become pressurized. This appears to be a great way to make sure you are getting nice cool air before it gets anywhere near the hot engine or radiator, the openinig on my car sit right next to the radiator, I'm sure that is robbibg me of a couple ponies. If you could get the tubes done in CF it would look even sicker and probably assist further in the temperature department.

BTW; BLACKBENZZ, I love your new sig photo, car looks sick! Great job on the intake, let us know what kind of improvements you see from it at the track...Hopefully it's not giving you too much LOL! I still gunning for you in November.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:13 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Originally Posted by SeeKlasse
ive been hating on the cooking airbox ontop of the stove (motor) is there an alternative intake thats compatible with these motors of ours?
I plan on getting rid of the 55 airbox next but haven't decided what setup to replace it with yet.

zen_racer- Thanks!

Jangy- Thanks bro. My stock TB is definitely the enxt restriction. Apparently the 80mm TB's dont work with my car

W211 Ryda- Thanks. I see what you are saying and am always open to suggestions. jrcart seems to have explained it pretty well.

jrcart- Thanks I will definitely take your advice into consideration. I really love your car, and I hope we do get some good friendly competition. It pushes us both to be at the top of our games. Cant wait to see that BEAST in person!
Old 08-04-2008, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
Great idea , but personally think it does not look great. Need some cover over the gap to shield it and smooth out the front a bit. Also I don't like losing the headlight function... pretty dark rural roads in my area.

I am still partial to NACA ducts in the hood for a cool inlet... like this...
Attached Thumbnails Headlight intake?-800px-ferrari_f40_in_ims_parking_lot.jpg  

Last edited by stevebez; 08-04-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
It wasn't made to look pretty

I can always go back to stock headlights when/if I need them.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Custom CLK / 05 E500 4matic / 04 Acura TL <<Daily
Love the new mod Ahmad, very nice work i like everything you did now we need a new photoshot.