Headlight intake?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 07:20 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
Headlight intake?

I thought this would be cool and get rid of a MAJOR restriction on the intake system on my CLK55. Not to mention going from stock headlights to flat black projector headlights (Had to get rid of the wannabe BMW halos as soon as I got them though lol) When the hood closes it covers up the stock inlets on my car which were tiny to begin with. It is now 3" ID silicone hose up to the 3" inlets of the E55 airbox. I haven't driven it much yet but mpg went way up. Drove ~20 miles and got 22mpg I wont comment on the power until I have something tangible to prove it and most likely wont be seen on the dyno. This is just the first ghetto rigged attempt. Things will be updated until I am happy with the complete setup. Some of you are probably weary about rain. I was too, but I dont drive very much in the rain. Plus there is a big 45 degree angle the water would have to travel up and I dont think much, if any, water would be able to get up the hoses and up through the air filters. The way I have it setup is that I can switch back to the stock inlets in a matter of a couple minutes anyway Here are some crappy cell phone pics for now (hood is open and washer nozzle covers not reinstalled yet)...

Last edited by blackbenzz; 07-07-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
Not a bad idea.

You will have to clean it more often, as more crap will end up inside the airboxes.

If you can datalog before and after, that would be interesting.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:27 PM

Received 43 Likes on 28 Posts
Interesting....maybe some nice screens on the outer opening to help the build up of big debris.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
Not a bad idea.

You will have to clean it more often, as more crap will end up inside the airboxes.

If you can datalog before and after, that would be interesting.
Thanks Vadim. I am aware that I will have to clean or replace the air fliters more often but I'm willing to make the trade for more power

The problem with dataloggin my CLK55 is that the IATs are not measured post sc. I can still do it though

Evoiiiyou- Great minds think alike. Thats one of the next things I have planned. This is just the preliminary setup. Eventually, I may just completely get rid of the 55k airbox

This is what the previous headlights looked like

Last edited by blackbenzz; 07-07-2008 at 07:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2008, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
I like that idea! I'm currently in the process of trying to fab up my own intake also. Good show!
Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E55
Pretty pimp, Big A.

I briefly looked at the W211 for a "headlight delete" but the high beams are contained in the smaller housing.

Did your projector upgrade relocate both hi + low in the same unit?

If so, could you please direct me to the vendor?

TIA.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Unfortunately, I no longer have high beams. I guess if you really wanted to you could retrofit something to have both high beam and low beams in the outer circle. I have no interest in high beams
Old 07-07-2008, 09:00 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
Unfortunately, I no longer have high beams. I guess if you really wanted to you could retrofit something to have both high beam and low beams in the outer circle. I have no interest in high beams
Ah, I see.

My weekend place is in the woods, and I need every lumen possible to stave off the daily attacks of the Kamikaze deer, groundhogs, and rabbits.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 07-07-2008, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
You should step it up one. Forced induction for a 63. The bird strike test is a b!tch.

Old 07-07-2008, 11:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
nice job buddy!
Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
HOLY COW!! That is exactly what I wish i had the gaul to do!! Great job and I'll bet you do see a difference on the dyno. Get rid of the airbox, bro. I am swapping out to Cone filters but was having a hard time finding a spot to get air. All logical thoughts come back to the headlights. I considered the fogliht area as well. We'll see. i really think the intake is restrictive in these cars, especially if modded.

Last thing, you could easily build a slope into it so that not as much crap gets in, but hey I have no issues with slapping in a clean filter every so often and I don't care about high beams either!!

Can't wait to see the final and hope you'll help a cali car do the same.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:04 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
ChicagoX- Must be nice!

chiromikey- Thanks!

jangy- if you look closely you can see that there is a slope built into the design. look how much higher the inlet of the 55k airbox is than the inlet on the headlilght. I would be happy to help you with a similar setup. The foglight area was my first idea for the ntake inlets. It would be difficult to route it down there, the body of the car gets in the way. Plus the issue of water is amplified.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

2015 S212
How hard is it to remove the headlight? Any error codes? Does anyone know if these codes can be shut down by SDS.

I'm going to give the fogs one hard try and also even pulling straight from the bottom. I'm not too worried about water or debris and that would have a huge slope to climb.

What are you going to do about filters? I'm just going by assumption that we can increase surface area (reducing pressure) by going to a canister or cone, but I haven't tried it.

NICE!! Intake, Exhaust, LSD and I'm done.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Not sure if the E55 is the same as the CLK55. I had to remove the bumper and then remove a bolt that went into the side of the headlight through the fender, a bolt on top of th eheadlight that went into the fender, and a nut on the headlight close to the bottom of the grill. Thats it. I get an error code when I turn on my headlights (lamp defective) because I have no city lights anymore. This can be fixed with a resistor. Befor eyou try fabbing stuff up for the fog lights, make sure you have room to plumb the hosing. The E55 may have mor eroom than my car but there was no room on my car to run 3" hosing all the way down there.

I have several filter ideas right now and have yet to select one. For now the stock 55k airbox stays until I can see what gains it made at the track. Heat wrapping everything would be a great bonus too.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 PM

All of them!
bb,
Awesome job, now just add some alky to yo washer fluid reservoir and hit the headlight washer for some alky injection. LOL
Old 07-13-2008, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63 AMG
Looks good bro...
Cant wait to see it one of these days soon! Hopefully installing my Airboxes in next couple days too...
Old 07-14-2008, 09:44 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by mbenzman
bb,
Awesome job, now just add some alky to yo washer fluid reservoir and hit the headlight washer for some alky injection. LOL
Thanks. Lol, I've been considering alky but dont think it will have much of an effect (besides cooling) on my car since I have to swap pullies to turn up the boost. May just try it anyway hehe. How is your monster running btw?

Jeff- Thanks, let me know when you want to put those airboxes in. I am free today.
Old 07-14-2008, 11:01 AM

All of them!
Thanks. Lol, I've been considering alky but dont think it will have much of an effect (besides cooling) on my car since I have to swap pullies to turn up the boost. May just try it anyway hehe. How is your monster running btw?
You wouldn't want to hit them washers anyway, sure fire way to take out your MAF.

My "Monster" is driven daily and just sick. Getting some more hook out of the tires has been the main issue lately. I'm going to raise the suspension at least some and install softer springs and maybe shocks soon in a attempt to make some more traction happen. My 211 is so much easier to drive, even with the open diff.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
I can only imagine how fast that thing is with all that boost!

I drove the car in the rain last night for ~30 miles. Worked just fine!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
05 E55
I had a similar set up on my old Maxima. The one thing that I had to do was cover the opening of the tube with mesh. You'll be amazed at how many leaves, rocks and debris find their way inside.

As for water, unless you are submerged in it, I think you'll be fine, as it should evaporate. But if you are submerged, then I think you have more problems to worry about.

On a side note, you have to wonder why manufactures don't do this more often. What seems logical to us may have been proven not to be beneficial...or worse, harmful. Think about erratic air pressure around your hood during stop/go/accelertion. One could argue that a steady, consitant pressure is needed for maximum performance. Or like that of a controlled, forced induction system to achieve maximum results.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I can only imagine how fast that thing is with all that boost!

I drove the car in the rain last night for ~30 miles. Worked just fine!
Ahmad the 55K airbox has to go. Too much heat bro sitting on top of the vave covers. The setup looks mint though.
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp
I thought this would be cool and get rid of a MAJOR restriction on the intake system on my CLK55. Not to mention going from stock headlights to flat black projector headlights (Had to get rid of the wannabe BMW halos as soon as I got them though lol) When the hood closes it covers up the stock inlets on my car which were tiny to begin with. It is now 3" ID silicone hose up to the 3" inlets of the E55 airbox. I haven't driven it much yet but mpg went way up. Drove ~20 miles and got 22mpg I wont comment on the power until I have something tangible to prove it and most likely wont be seen on the dyno. This is just the first ghetto rigged attempt. Things will be updated until I am happy with the complete setup. Some of you are probably weary about rain. I was too, but I dont drive very much in the rain. Plus there is a big 45 degree angle the water would have to travel up and I dont think much, if any, water would be able to get up the hoses and up through the air filters. The way I have it setup is that I can switch back to the stock inlets in a matter of a couple minutes anyway Here are some crappy cell phone pics for now (hood is open and washer nozzle covers not reinstalled yet)...

Damn! Too bad the C43 won't allow me to do this setup without finding headlights with ducts built in them like they have aftermarket for the BMW E36's.
Old 07-27-2008, 02:46 PM

2003 e55
looks nice.. but becareful and try not to catch a bird inside ur engine one day
Old 07-27-2008, 03:10 PM

junk
looks good bro. since i got bi xenons are my smaller lights just for looks? also, could you close off the windshield washer outlet hose and fill your reservoir tank with 108 or better. than just pump some octane into your inlet?
Old 07-27-2008, 04:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Originally Posted by III II I I AMG
looks nice.. but becareful and try not to catch a bird inside ur engine one day
Thanks, I dont think a bird would be able to get all the way back past the filters and everything.

Carl- I agree, the 55k airbox has got to go. They heat up so quick sitting on the engine bay. But it looks so nice

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Headlight intake?