Looking for Speed Vs Distance Curve for "63"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
2007 E63 w/P30 and Eurotech CF Diffuser
Looking for Speed Vs Distance Curve for "63"

I am looking for a E63 or CLS63 curve of speed vs distance curve. I have a disagreement with a member of law enforcement that my car could have accelerated from 0 to 50MPH in a distance of about 80 to 90ft. Particularly given that the pavement in the "launch area" was very uneven.

I did accelerate medium hard and because of the pavement uneveness and a paint strip the wheels did chirp a little. I saw the officer on the oncoming lane, just after crossing the intersection, so I certainly did not keep my foot in it.

Of course I did not give him any crap, better a 10MPH over than a display of speed.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
First of all what was the speed limit? Did you accelerate beyond the posted limit? There is no law against fast acceleration, unless the tires are breaking loose, then they get you for "excessive tire friction" or if the cop wants to be a real ***** they can try to get you for reckless driving. To answer you main question, NO your car is not accelerating from 0-60 in 80 ft. Her are some facts for the judge;

A vehicle traveling at a sustained 60mph will cover 88.15 feet per second, however you were at a dead stop and he claims you reached 60mph in 80-90ft. There is no production car in the world that would be able to accelerate from 0-60 in one second. You car can probably accelerate to 60 in 4.5 seconds on a good day with a profesional driver behind the wheel. A vehicle traveling at a sustained 60mph for 5 seconds will cover 440 feet in five seconds. It is more likely that you were traveling about 22-25 mph within the distance you stated.

Google keyword speed vs distance chart, you will find evidence that you can show the judge to prove your case.

Don't you just love cops? Give them some slack, they all got picked on when they were in high school and now they are paying back society, at the measly rate of about $45,000 a year.

Last edited by jrcart; 07-14-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by jrcart
First of all what was the speed limit? Did you accelerate beyond the posted limit? There is no law against fast acceleration, unless the tires are breaking loose, then they get you for "excessive tire friction" or if the cop wants to be a real ***** they can try to get you for reckless driving. To answer you main question, NO your car is not accelerating from 0-60 in 80 ft. Her are some facts for the judge;

A vehicle traveling at a sustained 60mph will cover 88.15 feet per second, however you were at a dead stop and he claims you reached 60mph in 80-90ft. There is no production car in the world that would be able to accelerate from 0-60 in one second. You car can probably accelerate to 60 in 4.5 seconds on a good day with a profesional driver behind the wheel. A vehicle traveling at a sustained 60mph for 5 seconds will cover 440 feet in five seconds. It is more likely that you were traveling about 22-25 mph within the distance you stated.

Google keyword speed vs distance chart, you will find evidence that you can show the judge to prove your case.

Don't you just love cops? Give them some slack, they all got picked on when they were in high school and now they are paying back society, at the measly rate of about $45,000 a year.
Actually here in California they can get you for fast acceleration. The ticket falls under "Exhibition of Speed" or "Exhibition of Power" (one of those). You don't necessarily have to exceed the speed limit, but just accelerating super-hard to get to that speed can also cost you a ticket.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Actually here in California they can get you for fast acceleration. The ticket falls under "Exhibition of Speed" or "Exhibition of Power" (one of those). You don't necessarily have to exceed the speed limit, but just accelerating super-hard to get to that speed can also cost you a ticket.
I guess that's another reason not to move to California....LOL just kidding. Are you kidding me? They can write that ticket and make it stick in court? How can that even be proved? It is a pure judgment call on the cops behalf. I would guess that any lawyer fresh out of law school who just passed the bar would be able to beat that charge in a heart beat. I know I could and I don't even have a law degree. Just another bogus law to generate revenue or promote probable cause traffic stops and searches.

Heres my defense- LAW AND ORDER MB WORLD STYLE

Me; Your honor, I would like to call officer John Friendly to the witness stand.

Me; Officer Friendly can you tell me what you witnessed the defendant do that prompted you to stop him and issue a citation?

Officer Friendly; I saw the defendant accelerate agressively from a stop sign at the intersection of Main Street and 4th ave.

Me; Please define agressively

Officer Friendly; He acclelerated hard

Me; Define hard;

Officer Friendly; He accelerated fast

Me; how do you know he was going fast? Didn't you just state that he was at a stop sign?

Officer Friendly; It appeaered he was going fast and yes he was at a stop sign.

Me; It APPEARED he was going fast? Did you clock him with a radar gun?

Officer Friendly; No I did not, but it appeared he was moving too quickly.

Me; So he only APPEARED to be moving quickly? Did his tires break loose or screech? So in reality he may NOT have been actually moving too quickly, is that correct?

Officer Friendly; Yes, but in my opinion he appeared to be moving too quickly.

Your honor I move to dismiss the charge against my client for lack of sufficient evidence.

Judge; Case dismissed!

Did I mention I hate cops?

Last edited by jrcart; 07-14-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
Absolutely correct!
Old 07-15-2008, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
We have the same thing in FL as well. If you nail it off the line you can get a ticket.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 E55 BEAST
JR.... we all hate cops. My girlfriend gets mad about the **** I say about them. Some seriously creative s*** though.