A little help pls - wheel shake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55
A little help pls - wheel shake

Hi guys,

I've had my 55 a little over a week and so far very happy. I replaced the star with a flat hood emblem and ordered a spoiler from formymercedes which is a b-day present from the misses.

One thing I need to resolve. I have a small wheel shake/wobble when braking from approx 30 mph down to 10mph. The car was traded in January and has been sitting since I purchased last week. I had the car inspected and the mechanic felt it was not an issue and would probably work itself out. The shake is much better than last week but not totally gone. The place I got the car from doesn't have mechanics but is willing to have a high-end place look at it for me on his dime. The question is, what do you think it is? Rotors? Brakes? Tires out of round/flat spots. Should I do some high speed runs and bed the brakes?

I did a search and found some stuff on wheels out of balance but I don't think that's it. At triple digit speeds the car is solid..... Any help is appreciated.

Michael
Old 07-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
shake

if the steering shimmy or shake when applying the brakes, check the rotors .
especialy if the car been sitting for a while.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:22 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by cls55
if the steering shimmy or shake when applying the brakes, check the rotors .
especialy if the car been sitting for a while.
Many thanks for the feedback. Could you please give me a little insight as to what happens to the rotors when sitting. Rust? Do they get deformed? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

IS300
Haha, I thought this thread was about me before I clicked it.

Are you on stock wheels or aftermarket wheels?
Old 07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2001 E320 RWD - Brilliant Silver/Ash: 100,000+
I agree with the rotor answer, but I don't know what happens to them if the car has been sitting for some time. Tires are not out of round if you only experience the shaking during slow speed braking. Are you positive that when braking at other speeds this does not happen because if the rotors are to blame, it should.
Old 07-19-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
germans
the rotors may have been warped from the previous owner. i'm guessing instead of the dealer spending manhours to go have it fixed, they sell the car first and have you take it to get fixed. then all they have to do is arrange payment.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:01 AM

2006 E55
Yes, I am positive the shake is only during slow speed braking.

Shake - I am in stock 18's with pos Conti's.

Thanks for the help so far. Assuming its the rotors, can they be shaved or are new ones in order? If so, where is the best place to order?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Yes, I am positive the shake is only during slow speed braking.

Shake - I am in stock 18's with pos Conti's.

Thanks for the help so far. Assuming its the rotors, can they be shaved or are new ones in order? If so, where is the best place to order?
Michael, I have yet to hear of any rotor problem on an E55. It would be hard to believe that warping an W211 AMG front rotor is even possible with all the warnings that go off in the MFD to prevent loss of braking. No Mercedes/AMG rotor can be machined/turned down. The first place to start is the tires. The reason you feel the shake during slow speed braking is the weight transfer makes the problem more evident. First the OEM Contis should be removed from service, I say this because I had a catastrophic failure in the side wall of mine, while parked in the garage! side wall just blew out car had been sitting over two weeks. The reason misaligned belts in the tire, Conti offered $35.00 toward a set of 4 new Contis. Don't rule out flat spots on the tires from being parked on dealers lot so long either, My car sits for months at a time and it takes 2-300 miles to work the flat spots out of the tires on days with 95+ degree temps . Your tires could have multiple flat spots if you have not done more than say a 30 mile work commute. Find a reputable tire store that offers a road force balance and get new tires you like.
Old 07-20-2008, 05:16 PM

2006 E55
Thanks for the insight Yacht Master. I think I am going to get some new tires... of course PS2's are my favorite..... I will report back.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
shake

flat spot=up and down feeling when driving slow.
shake while braking=rotor warped.a good brake shop can take out 1 mm.
when you park your car let it roll a bit before applying the foot brake (hand brake)w/o touching the brake.
do not wash the wheels when hot let cool at least 2 hours.
AMG brakes or non AMG they all warp.(steel)
hope that will help
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
When you are braking and you feel the wobble, can you also feel it in your foot at the brake pedal? If not then it's probably not the rotors.
Old 07-20-2008, 07:44 PM

2006 E55
Appreciate the feedback so far. A little update, my girlfriend drove the car 200 miles today to meet me at the track (homestead-miami speedway, there was a DE with Chin Motorsports, much fun) and I took a ride when I got home. The wheel shake/wobble seems to be better. Maybe because the tires had time to re-shape. I will drive it again in the AM.

cls55 - there is no up and down feeling in the car.

Bobgodd - when I am braking and the wobble is present the brake pedal is solid.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:54 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
It will get better but never go away. Put them on the rears and smoke em off.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
2004 E55
Appreciate the feedback so far. A little update, my girlfriend drove the car 200 miles today to meet me at the track (homestead-miami speedway, there was a DE with Chin Motorsports, much fun) and I took a ride when I got home. The wheel shake/wobble seems to be better. Maybe because the tires had time to re-shape. I will drive it again in the AM.

cls55 - there is no up and down feeling in the car.

Bobgodd - when I am braking and the wobble is present the brake pedal is solid.
If the pedal feel is solid then it's definitely not the rotors.

Do what jangy said, roast em.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 E55
Originally Posted by bobgodd
If the pedal feel is solid then it's definitely not the rotors.

Do what jangy said, roast em.

Curious - why would he ever feel it in the brake pedal? Unlike almost all other cars, our brakes pedal is an electronic sensor. I don't think it has the same traditional linkage as a pure power-assisted mechanical system. Am I wrong?
Old 07-24-2008, 05:22 AM

2006 E55
Just wanted to give you guys a little update. Wheel shake has been better since I have put some miles on the car, but not toally gone. I have ordered a new set of Toyo T1R's that will hopefully be installed by mid next week. I will get an alignment when mounting the tires. I am hoping that the tires are the source of the wheel shake. If not, I guess we move on to rotors and pads.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
E-ZGO 53hp., 1999 E 430 sport, 2004 E 55, 2008 Tahoe LTZ on 24"s
Thats the way to do it, The tire holds a higher probability over rotor.
With the wheel off it takes 2 seconds to check the run-out of the rotors.
If you find that they are warped, I like Mercedes would recommend replacement. Be thankful you don't have a E63 rotors $900
You can have them turned down But after a few heat cycles the warp will be right back, turning Mercedes/AMG rotors is futile.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:00 AM

03 E55 K2, 98 Dodge Ram2500 diesel/propane, M3 race car, BMW X3
Just wanted to give you guys a little update. Wheel shake has been better since I have put some miles on the car, but not toally gone. I have ordered a new set of Toyo T1R's that will hopefully be installed by mid next week. I will get an alignment when mounting the tires. I am hoping that the tires are the source of the wheel shake. If not, I guess we move on to rotors and pads.
Hi,

I noticed an interesting/annoying feature on my car. In the rain, I always have a slight but noticeable shake which is gone in the dry.... feels just like a wheel out of balance.

Turns out the "brake drying" feature puts gentle application on the brakes in the rain to keep the rotors dry. If your rotors are slightly warped it will cause a shaking. I have no noticeable shaking in the dry in any braking conditions but when we checked the front rotors they are definitely slightly warped. First time I drove the car in the rain, I thought it had thrown off a wheel balancing weight and then it was back to normal the next day in the rain.

So, I would be interested to know if you notice any difference in the shaking in the wet. Also, there is no hydraulic connection between the brake pedal and the wheel in our cars, so rotor shake is not going to be transmitted to the pedal as in most cars.

Will you let me know what you think of the Toyo's? They are my first choice of replacement tire which I will need soon. I would be most interested how they compare in noise level to the Conti's you have been using.

Good luck in getting rid of the shake. Otherwise, enjoy and awesome car!
Old 07-24-2008, 06:38 PM

2006 E55
Originally Posted by mkeeton
Hi,

I noticed an interesting/annoying feature on my car. In the rain, I always have a slight but noticeable shake which is gone in the dry.... feels just like a wheel out of balance.

Turns out the "brake drying" feature puts gentle application on the brakes in the rain to keep the rotors dry. If your rotors are slightly warped it will cause a shaking. I have no noticeable shaking in the dry in any braking conditions but when we checked the front rotors they are definitely slightly warped. First time I drove the car in the rain, I thought it had thrown off a wheel balancing weight and then it was back to normal the next day in the rain.

So, I would be interested to know if you notice any difference in the shaking in the wet. Also, there is no hydraulic connection between the brake pedal and the wheel in our cars, so rotor shake is not going to be transmitted to the pedal as in most cars.

Will you let me know what you think of the Toyo's? They are my first choice of replacement tire which I will need soon. I would be most interested how they compare in noise level to the Conti's you have been using.

Good luck in getting rid of the shake. Otherwise, enjoy and awesome car!
I will certainly report back for the benefit of others members once I get the new tires/alignment. I'm sure the Toyo's will be better than the Conti's. The Conti's are soooo loud now I can barely think..... Hopefully the the shake will be gone. I'm going to have the shop check the rotors/pads when the car is in for the tires as I want to know for sure what the cause is.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:11 PM

2005 E55, 2004 E55(sold), 2001 Viper GTS, 2006 Viper VOI9, 1994 ZR-1 Corvette 2009 Viper ACR,
Ive owned 2 E55's... Both have the "shakes" just a tad, until the tires are fully warm. These cars have very tight tolerances. And with the low-pro tires, you feel everything.. Have all tires static balanced(or replaced if possible), and an alignment done.. Thats about all you can do..