Sponsored by:

Car jerks when coming off WOT....?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 04:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
No longer stock '06 E55, A3 3.2 Quattro, LRD4 HSE, R107 280SL
I am always in S and Sport2, this is a tranny thing for sure... got to be the T/C lock up / unlock speed... annoying. For a luxury car this is not really accceptable. I can expect it from a sportier car - but its going to give me friggin whiplash soon... should be smoother than this.

Ill try different tranny setting / T/C and see what she does... manual might be best bet here then maybe.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:59 AM
Zod
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
CLS55 2006, CLS 63S 2015
Originally Posted by stevebez
I am always in S and Sport2, this is a tranny thing for sure... got to be the T/C lock up / unlock speed... annoying. For a luxury car this is not really accceptable. I can expect it from a sportier car - but its going to give me friggin whiplash soon... should be smoother than this.

Ill try different tranny setting / T/C and see what she does... manual might be best bet here then maybe.
like i said learn for when it is going to happen and brake your old habits
secondly M mode should help...
Also think your self lucky..SMG is 10x worse with its normal everyday shifting, then our buck effect that has a cure.

Here is something that was rare though...

i had a hick up in S mode using the shifters to hold gear once, when i left it in gear lets says 2nd in S mode and slowly built up the revs, I held it for a bit, then slowed down a bit with out shifting. I did not up shift, but felt the car shift, similar to the feeling of a shift to a higher gear with out me doing it , and car display still red the gear i selected hmmm need more testing.
any one get this?
maybe its the same buck effect?
Old 07-24-2008, 06:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Zod
when i left it in gear lets says 2nd in S mode and slowly built up the revs, I held it for a bit, then slowed down a bit with out shifting. I did not up shift, but felt the car shift, similar to the feeling of a shift to a higher gear with out me doing it , and car display still red the gear i selected hmmm need more testing.
I bet this is the T/Q unlocking...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Originally Posted by I Like Soup
This obviously isn't a problem with those underpowered '63's...

Good one
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
You ever try a battery disconnect just for the heck on it Steve?

Pain to reprogram radio/seat settings etc, but worth a try to see if it works.

Battery disconnected overnight just to be safe although I have done it for an hour and it works too.

Lemme know if you do it so I can shoot you over the things you need to do when starting her back up. Otherwise ESP light. They're real simple.

Jim
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually had to do this a short while ago as battery was draining and needed to boost it up so I disconnected it all to charge it up. Wierd how car behaves... looses its marbles untill all close and open points are found...

Sunroof was particularly strange.... it would just continue to open and not stop at the limit point nearly damaged the unit. But a full close and reopen got its senses back.

And yes its still a bucking bronco... how I miss a stick shift...

Last edited by stevebez; 07-25-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:08 PM

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts
E63s s213 2019 ,SOLD E63 Weistec, E55, C36
Steve, old thread i know, but did you ever get to the bottom of this? i had the same prob over the summer when in traffic, funnily enough going to lopez`s place lol. the beast is still under a tier 1 so want it sorted if its a component!
Old 11-27-2010, 10:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
2004 E55 AMG
When I had the stock pullry on the car I never felt the jerk. As soon as I got the 180 I felt it immediately. My belief is that the throttle snaps shut before the bypass valve can react, causing a surge. It's especially noticable at the end of the track or near the top of 1st-3rd gears. The solution is to let off gently. Unfortunately I don't think there is a way around it. It's just the way the throttle, S/C, and possibly the torque converter are managed, and the problem is exacerbated by larger pulleys. It feels just like my buddies Mustang did when he was experiencing compressor surge between shifts.

I know that the TB is on the suction side of the intake, which means it's not traditional surge(with pressurized air before the TB like in a centrifugal or turbo system), but it could be that the sudden vacuum created tries to stop the S/C rotors.

Last edited by izzyz28; 11-27-2010 at 10:37 PM.