W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MB Arts Camber arms - enough clearance between arm and airmatic hoses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E500 Sport
MB Arts Camber arms - enough clearance between arm and airmatic hoses?

My shop installed the camber arm today, and sent me these pics. Do you feel there is enough room between the camber arm and the hoses? My concern would be the camber arm hitting the airmatic hose under full compression. Over time, and with enough wear, the hose would damage and fail, causing a suspension drop.

Please reply with OBJECTIVE opinions. Thank you

Old 12-19-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E63
it seems like the hose is too close to the pivot point for the suspension to travel far enough to touch the hose. hard to tell from the pics, but the hose looks really close to pivot point.
Old 12-19-2009, 05:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Kenny55
it seems like the hose is too close to the pivot point for the suspension to travel far enough to touch the hose. hard to tell from the pics, but the hose looks really close to pivot point.
So you think it should be OK?
Old 12-19-2009, 06:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Hi,

Great pictures and explanation.

I wanted to purchase and install these, as I am lowered on links and getting a lot of inside tire wear especially on the front.

I agree the measurement gap for the adjustable arms is much closer than the original. The pipe could split over a long period time if the arm touches the pipe when the suspension reaches its lowest point, but if the suspension bottoms out it could snap the plastic pipe that protrudes out of the air spring. I would want piece of mind regarding this matter because a sudden large bump in the road could cause failure if it can actually touch?

If I were to test this myself to get piece of mind, I would try.

1. using a trolley jack to raise one wheel as high as possible and see how close the arm is, but I think this might be difficult given this is an airmatic setup and not a coil spring setup and the system could put more air into the spring and raise it (could disconnect the battery?) Ideally you would want to empty the airmatic system of air and allow the car to drop.

2. remove the bolt which secures the arm at the wheel/hub end leaving the chassis end bolted on and rotate the arm upwards to see how close it gets to touching the pipe.

basically to test you will need to simulate the most the wheel could travel upwards into the arch, which I would have thought have been done during the testing and production stages.

I hope this helps, please keep us posted.............. any other people used these yet?

Last edited by £ C43 £ AMG £; 12-19-2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

C55,SL55,C63
I think you will be ok. In Pic 3 is not a good demo of the camber arm in relation to the stock arm. The stock arm is held, showing its curve, While the adjustable camber are in the pic is shown from a top view, not showing its curve.

Its hard to say without seeing it first hand, but by the looks of the pics... I think you are ok. Also the pic of the airbag is just showing the protective boot over the actual air badder itself. I personal think you got the room.

Think a problem you might run into is making sure the adjustable bolts are tightened correctly. MBZ did not have this in mind (adjustable camber arms) when they made the car. So you have to work with the space MBZ gave you. What I mean is getting a wrench or two on them can be tricky. So just make sure who ever is installing the arms does not half-*** it. When it comes to locking down the desired setup.

Agian, I think you will be ok.

Last edited by hooleyboy; 12-19-2009 at 07:04 AM.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 AM
PTE
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
05 ML-500 , 03 CLK5.5 AMG has left the Garage
Clearance to Camber arms

When I run into what I think may offer an interference issue , I go the the Marine / boat dealer & get some wire loom spiral wrap. It is easly to install and helps guard against componet chaffing . cheers _PTEngineering
Old 12-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Whatever we're tuning!
Without the suspension loaded it is very hard to discern if you will have an issue just from the pics.

I would take a similar diameter hose to the airmatic hose, splice it down the center, wrap it around where you might have a clearance issue and use tie wraps to secure.

Put some anti-seize or clearance clay(used for valve/piston clearance checking when building an engine) on the piece of hose that you just put on and drive the car for a short period of time.

Put back on lift and see if there is any contact and then you can answer the question with this quick test!!

Good luck!
Old 12-19-2009, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 E63
Originally Posted by TTMotorsports
Without the suspension loaded it is very hard to discern if you will have an issue just from the pics.

I would take a similar diameter hose to the airmatic hose, splice it down the center, wrap it around where you might have a clearance issue and use tie wraps to secure.

Put some anti-seize or clearance clay(used for valve/piston clearance checking when building an engine) on the piece of hose that you just put on and drive the car for a short period of time.

Put back on lift and see if there is any contact and then you can answer the question with this quick test!!

Good luck!
agreed! this trick or the one from c43 amg is some ideas to get some peace of mind.
Old 11-22-2010, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Any update on this??..I want to get the MB-Arts camber arms and toe links but I don't want to deal with fitment or any issue.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Any update on this??..I want to get the MB-Arts camber arms and toe links but I don't want to deal with fitment or any issue.
mbarts released their newest version of camber arms that seems to address the remaining clearance issues. i've yet to install them so i can't say for sure but it does indeed look like mbarts has taken care of the problem. i'll try to take pics of the upcoming install.

btw, their customer service has been above and beyond ANY other hardware vendor i've come across so far!!!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07E63, 12E350, 08997TT, 16SiennaSE
Originally Posted by chiromikey
mbarts released their newest version of camber arms that seems to address the remaining clearance issues. i've yet to install them so i can't say for sure but it does indeed look like mbarts has taken care of the problem. i'll try to take pics of the upcoming install.

btw, their customer service has been above and beyond ANY other hardware vendor i've come across so far!!!
Thank you! please keep us updated. I hate to throw away good set of tires because the inner side is all wore out.
Old 11-23-2010, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Peter_02AMG
Thank you! please keep us updated. I hate to throw away good set of tires because the inner side is all wore out.
Check your toe. Bad toe will wear out tires a lot faster than negative camber will
Old 11-28-2010, 06:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
E55K AMG
Originally Posted by chiromikey

+1

Good service and I am all the way across the atlantic

thanks Jay

MB camber Arms at rear and KMAC bushes upfront = a hell of lot less tyre wear and better handling