W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63

Benz Drag Race Showdown MIR 11/22/08 Discuss!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 10:13 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Sure Clayton
Old 07-30-2008 | 02:45 PM

'11 CTS V Coupe 6MT
I'm In !

Originally Posted by JAYCL600
of course youre welcome
Jay CL600;
Ok, put me down. Who gets the entry $$$$
Let me know.

George

ggray@stakindustries.com

Thnx
GG
Old 07-30-2008 | 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S65 AMG
Count me in! Who do I send the $100 to?
Old 07-30-2008 | 03:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
We wont start collecting money until closer to the date of the event.
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:28 PM

2006 C280 4MATIC, 2006 Suzuki GSX-R1000 race bike
Originally Posted by jrcart
Ya, I don't stand a chance against the Busa, but I will run the 220whp bike. I can strap mine and change out the linkage on the rear to get it down real low. The kicker with the Yosh Superbike is that is weighs only 372lbs topped of with fuel and fluids. It's got to be close to 100 pounds lighter wet than whatever you are running.The HP curve is wicked! It's got full CF body, magnisum wheels, ti bolts everywhere, and no lights. It is the exact spec motor and chassis that Spies and Mladin ran in the 2006 AMA superbike series, only difference is that mine has Ohlins off the shelf front end with custom ti trees vs. their works Showa front end that Showa would not sell to the public.

If you like being able to rip the wheel up off the ground at 130, this is the bike for you.

BTW, what have you got done to the Busa? Turbo? What about the other bike?
all the bikes are all motor.

bring some of your scooters, we will bring some of ours, and we can have some fun!
Old 08-05-2008 | 06:15 PM

Thumbs up Charlotte E55

I would like to sign up for the meet. I live in Charlotte, NC but am originally from Bethesda, MD. The race day is 11/15 or 11/17?? Thanks
Old 08-05-2008 | 06:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Race day is 11/15
Old 08-06-2008 | 05:51 PM

CL65
Anyone consider making this an elimination type event? Competition ladder and qualifying round? Let's crown a champion. We can up the entrance fee by $50 or $100 and have payouts and trophies. If you want to go even further, let's invite BMW and/or Porsche(stock turbo restriction) cars as well. Just throwing a few ideas out there. I would make the drive and surely spray the hell out of my CL65 if it was more than just a test n' tune session. (not meaning to take anything away from the meet at all)
Old 08-06-2008 | 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Most people are interested in getting their own best personal times. Most of us already know who is the fastest. But bring your 65 anyway and go for two titles, fastest supra and fastest benz!!!
Old 08-06-2008 | 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 CLK63 Black Series 2012 C63 Black Series 2014 SLS Black Series
Originally Posted by MarkoCL55
Anyone consider making this an elimination type event? Competition ladder and qualifying round? Let's crown a champion. We can up the entrance fee by $50 or $100 and have payouts and trophies. If you want to go even further, let's invite BMW and/or Porsche(stock turbo restriction) cars as well. Just throwing a few ideas out there. I would make the drive and surely spray the hell out of my CL65 if it was more than just a test n' tune session. (not meaning to take anything away from the meet at all)
Let's not open this up to just any Bimmer guys, maybe a few hand selected guys from this board. Like I stated earlier, I want to race, not have a cage match, I'm affraid if too many guys with the "M3 Mentality" show up I'm gonna be swingin.

God, could you image how bad a New York or Jersey M3 Menality must be...ughhhhhh!

I can picture the what a New York M3 must look like, lots of excess hair gel built up on the head rest and head liner, some fake gold chains hanging from the mirror, a phone book on the drivers seat and they probably put T-tops on it LOL!

They say the E36 M3 is the new IROC-Z

JK....east coast guys

Last edited by jrcart; 08-06-2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2008 | 06:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
Let's not open this up to just any Bimmer guys, maybe a few hand selected guys from this board. Like I stated earlier, I want to race, not have a cage match, I'm affraid if too many guys with the "M3 Mentality" show up I'm gonna be swingin.

God, could you image how bad a New York or Jersey M3 Menality must be...ughhhhhh!

I can picture the what a New York M3 must look like, lots of excess hair gel built up on the head rest and head liner, some fake gold chains hanging from the mirror, a phone book on the drivers seat and they probably put T-tops on it LOL!

JK....east coast guys
I have a special BMW for you to run at MIR
Old 08-06-2008 | 07:28 PM

CL65

They say the E36 M3 is the new IROC-Z

JK....east coast guys
I've been to multiple shootouts with various fragile egos participating and there was no "cage match" type drama. It actually inspired all the participants to bring out the best in one another. Competition does that to competitive people. I think an elimination type event, with or without the Bimmers or Porsches, would be a more climactic experience for us all. I am speaking from experience in participating in many types of race gatherings/events. The whole ladder would take an hour at best to complete. We don't have cars that require us to push through the staging lanes or require 3 hours in between rounds to swap motors and transmissions. I personally welcome a little pressure at the starting line. Solo runs are cool, but when there is the smallest of stakes, the experience is quite different. We could even do it for bragging rights.
Old 08-06-2008 | 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by MarkoCL55
I've been to multiple shootouts with various fragile egos participating and there was no "cage match" type drama. It actually inspired all the participants to bring out the best in one another. Competition does that to competitive people. I think an elimination type event, with or without the Bimmers or Porsches, would be a more climactic experience for us all. I am speaking from experience in participating in many types of race gatherings/events. The whole ladder would take an hour at best to complete. We don't have cars that require us to push through the staging lanes or require 3 hours in between rounds to swap motors and transmissions. I personally welcome a little pressure at the starting line. Solo runs are cool, but when there is the smallest of stakes, the experience is quite different. We could even do it for bragging rights.
I have got nothing for your 8.5 second Supra, except maybe a bike, but my Black Series love beating up on F cars if you wantto bring that out to play I'd love to line up against it. What do you have done to the 360?

BTW-I was kidding about the cage match

One more thing, does the name Kevin Marsh ring any bells with you? He too owns a helluva fast Supra as well as what was once (may still be) the fast door slamming mustang in the world.

Last edited by jrcart; 08-06-2008 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-06-2008 | 07:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yep, I just checked he still owns the worlds fastest door slammer Mustang 6.40's and his Supra runs 8.70's, looks like you have some competition in that Supra class huh?

Kevin and I go way back...I'm am trying to talk him into attending the MIR event to rep the Midwest boys, he's got lots of fast toys.
Old 08-06-2008 | 07:52 PM

CL65
I have got nothing for your 8.5 second Supra, except maybe a bike, but my Black Series love beating up on F cars if you wantto bring that out to play I'd love to line up against it. What do you have done to the 360?

BTW-I was kidding about the cage match

One more thing, does the name Kevin Marsh ring any bells with you? He too owns a helluva fast Supra as well as what was once (may still be) the fast door slamming mustang in the world.
I was talking about racing my CL65. I don't think this event is the right fit for any 8 second car. Nothing done to the 360 yet. Contemplating a twin turbo system for it. Been too busy for a serious commitment to such a project.
Old 08-06-2008 | 10:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Marko:

Not a bad idea with the eliminations and trophies. Although it may be a bit of a pain for the guys putting this together to go run out and start getting trophies and the like without getting a fully committed head count. But maybe we could discuss inviting some 911TT's and M5/M6's to add a little flavor (it would be nice for a change to challenge people outside of our group rather than the bickering and infighting we seem to all to easily fall into...myself included). I look forward to seeing your CL65 lined up. We should have a number of them there. Have you done anything to it yet? I am thinking about getting a tune...

Tom
Old 08-07-2008 | 01:45 AM

CL65
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Marko:

Not a bad idea with the eliminations and trophies. Although it may be a bit of a pain for the guys putting this together to go run out and start getting trophies and the like without getting a fully committed head count. But maybe we could discuss inviting some 911TT's and M5/M6's to add a little flavor (it would be nice for a change to challenge people outside of our group rather than the bickering and infighting we seem to all to easily fall into...myself included). I look forward to seeing your CL65 lined up. We should have a number of them there. Have you done anything to it yet? I am thinking about getting a tune...

Tom
My thoughts exactly. We would all have tons of fun.

I did get a tune from Vadim, installed a CM30 pump and bought a set of 305/35/18 Mickey Thompsons. It feels much better. I have a few more things in mind for it that should get it to run deep into the 10's. Need a little track time for R&D, but have been very busy with work lately.

Last edited by MarkoCL65; 08-07-2008 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-07-2008 | 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TMC M5
Marko:

Tom
I would be for an elimination type system, but figuring out the classes would be hell, would you want type of car classes ie; E's, CLK's, C's Etc. or 55's, 63's, 65's, etc. or would we have a 13 sec. class, 12 sec. class, 11 sec. class, etc? If we did it by time we could bun it as a bracket type event. Will we be able to stagger the tree?

It sounds like a good plan but is going to be hard to organize so it is fair to all parties in my opinion, especially once the inevidable sand bagging starts.

I'm up for it and will even be willing to kick in some extra $$$ for trophies, but personally I think we should nix the trophy idea and make a CASH PURSE for each class. I'm sure most guys would prefer bragging rights and the possibility of some cash over a trophy, especially the west coast guys that are going to being paying close to $2000 just to get their cars out to the event plus hotels and other expenses. I say we make the entrance fees $200-$250, $100 of which will cover track rental the balance goes into a winners fund. If we get 35 guys, thats a purse of $3500-$5000 divided into say maybe 5 classes....Now that sounds like fun to me, and what's an extra $100 bucks or so out of pocket?

This is not my event and I don't want to step on any toes so I am game for anyting, this is just a cool suggestion in my opinion.

...maybe even start talking to some of the sponsors on this board to kick in some purse money, even a few hunderd bucks, it can all add up. Maybe we can even have them sposor am entire class for say $500.00....it's a long shot but worth a try

Last edited by jrcart; 08-07-2008 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-07-2008 | 10:36 AM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
There is one big problem with people paying more to have cash prizes. The slower cars will not want to pay extra knowing they have no chance of winning.
Old 08-07-2008 | 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by blackbenzz
There is one big problem with people paying more to have cash prizes. The slower cars will not want to pay extra knowing they have no chance of winning.
That can be easily solved by having 5-6 different classes. It would need to be set up like an NHRA Bracket type event where you must dial in an E/T based on a series of qualifying passes made earlier in the event.

Let's say a guy make 3 qualifying passes, he runs a 12.25, a 12.31 and a 12.29, he would have to dial in around a 12.28, he would then be grouped with cars running similar times and then they would be matched up with a staggered tree start. A guy that dial in a 12.25 and another guy that dials in a 12.50 could race head to head, the guy with the 12.25 would be held at the line by staggering or delaying the tree .25 sec, should be a dead heat and a fair and close race. To eliminate sand bagging you have to set up maximum "cushion" if a guy goes out and qualifies 12.50's all day and then makes a 12.10 pass in the main event, he's disqualified for sand bagging.

Sounds like a lot of work, but the drag strip can set the tree this way and furnish us with a speadsheet to determin everones dial-in.
Old 08-07-2008 | 01:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
if it's going to happen, forget the classes and just make it a bracket event so everyone has a fair chance at winning no matter what kind of time their car runs.
Old 08-07-2008 | 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Just make sure you have a rookie class for some of the newbs to make fun runs. Not all are deep stagin hole shotin madmen like many of you guys.

Just my 2 bean stamps.
Old 08-07-2008 | 02:27 PM

2001 clk55 AMG
if it's going to be a bracket race event count me out....
I don't like bracket racing I would rather get beat by 2 seconds than win a bracket race. Just my 2cent.
Old 08-07-2008 | 04:45 PM
Out Of Control!!

haters crazy
We don't plan on having classes/trophies this year. Maybe next year if we have a larger turnout. This will be a fun/grudge event to take advantage of the track and air. We will not be bracket racing or anything. If you guys want to run each other heads up feel free to do so. Maybe you all can have your own little pot with eliminations. I can think of at least a few matchups I'd like to see
Old 08-07-2008 | 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

not to sound cocky, but I am planning on bringing a little cash, I'm not affraid to put a little money on the line to make things a little more interesting.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Benz Drag Race Showdown MIR 11/22/08 Discuss!