Sponsored by:

Bleeding Coolant?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E55
Bleeding Coolant?

Is there an easy way to bleed the coolant? Just replaced my HE and pump and suspect there may be an air bubble or two.

My WIS is acting up and a search of the forum didn't bring anything up detailed enough. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by supre55
Is there an easy way to bleed the coolant? Just replaced my HE and pump and suspect there may be an air bubble or two.

My WIS is acting up and a search of the forum didn't bring anything up detailed enough. Thanks.
I'd give Chris a call over at Floored Fab; he is back off vacation but will be heading out again on Wednesday.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:04 PM

E55
Left him a message earlier today, but I figured the brain trust here would know a trick or two as well.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
This thread has the info you need:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...highlight=pump

All you need is some clear hose of the appropriate size (Ace Hardware) and enough wire to jump the HE pump to the battery in the trunk or a convenient 12V power source to jump to so you don't have to jump all the way to the trunk.

It is very easy and you will be surprised just how much air you can get out of the system.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I have read multiple ways of bleeding the system..

One thing is for sure.. air bubbles do exist.

I have chanced my HE on my E55 2 times and once on my C32 and about 3 pumps on both cars.

I don't really do anything special other than ensure I pour water in the reservoir tank and turn on the car and let it run.

the trick is to turn on the heater full blast and let the car run with the heater on for a few minutes.

Eventually the air bubbles will rise to the reservoir tank and you will notice you need more coolant or water.

I have had to add water even 1 or 2 days after installing a new HE. But the pump install does not require as much water replacement.

I confirmed I had air bubbles through data logging and My IATs were extremely high for a car with a larger HE.

Soon as we let the car running with the heater for a few minutes, the IAT's started to drop and level out.

I would say doing the heater trick on the day of the IC pump installation and few other times a day later or so would not hurt.
Old 07-29-2008, 05:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
Supre, do you have a totally separated system or is it still shared between radiator fluid system?

You would have a separted system if you have a little tiny aftermarket reservoir mounted up top by the radiator.

I am thinking with Renntech, you still share system coolant.

Heater trick would help in that case for sure.

Just checkin.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:14 PM

E55
Thanks for the info guys. I am splitting the system next week with a nice little custom reservoir... not as elaborate as chiromikey's but "cool" nonetheless.

I will bleed out the remainder of the air tonight after the family goes to bed, and datalog again in the morning. This weekend I peaked at 80 degrees over ambient after 4 consecutive 0 to 80 runs. I was pulling timing all over the joint, but the s/c never shut off, so the new equipment was working... just not as well with air bubbles.