Goodbye MBWORLD

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 09:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Ok, so we only have to manage 45,000 users. Better?? That just took a HUGE load of my time...sweet!

As far as reading the site, there's probably 500,000 users who read the site but have never registered. But they don't really count
Why not dump the BS smiley then? We all know it means Bull ****, but that is still allowed? yet **** is not? (btw I typed the astericks). I feel as if though some of the sites original owners of this site are a bunch of two face talkers. Say one thing yet act another way. Sound like politicians.

Sorry about the rant, but it has to be said.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
I hope Juicee63/Josh decides to stay, he's a true enthusiast and contributor to the site, if he starts posting elsewhere, I'll add that site to my bookmarks.

I've seen favoritism towards Administrator's customers mentioned. If this is true, it will certainly bring down the community. It's not about how many members are registered, it's about a select group of members that produce meaningful content that attract others to join and participate.

I hope the board doesn't deteriorate into an over-moderated and blatantly biased board like M5board.com!
Old 07-29-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Originally Posted by AsianML
Can't let this place turn into a complete sausage fest.
Isn't it already?
Old 07-29-2008, 10:16 PM

2004 E55 AMG, 2002 Porsche 996 TT, 2004 BMW x5 4.8is, 2004 F360
Originally Posted by TopGun32
let's focus on the purpose of this site..

MB enthusiasts who want to avoid paying high dollar dealer fees and charges and would like to go faster!
That's why I'm here. To soak up the years of modding trial and error.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
have never really seen this board overmoderated. it tends (at least, for me)
to be under moderated. the crying over how un/fair someone has been
disciplined has always been somewhat comical for me as they tend to be
over dramatic, e.g. i'm leaving, l'm pissed, i'm never coming back, you guys
hate me, etc. I've also had my share of disputes with moderators.

fortunately for me, MBWorld is just a pit stop and a forum which allows me
to swing by and learn how to save a few bucks in repairs or to share ideas
on how to enhance our rides. otherwise, it's just like any other watering
hole, tavern, etc in terms of personalities. I enjoy what I can and dispense
with everything else.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:24 PM
MBWorld Founder

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 GT R Pro, 2019 GT3 RS, 2018 GT3 Touring
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Why not dump the BS smiley then? We all know it means Bull ****, but that is still allowed? yet **** is not? (btw I typed the astericks).
And you know what? You're absolutely right. I happen to think "BS" is more of an acceptable term, but that's just my opinion. If it needs to go, so be it.

I feel as if though some of the sites original owners of this site are a bunch of two face talkers. Say one thing yet act another way. Sound like politicians.

And you're basing all that on the fact that we have a "BS" smiley? I've been called a lot of things...never a politician. Ouch. I think we should ban the world poli******

I appreciate you sharing your opinion. I obviously disagree with your accusations that we deliberately or intentionally say one thing and act another way. But if there are specific issues or examples we need to discuss, let's do that constructively. If there are things that "need to be said", at least say them and put some effort into helping make them better for the community. But perhaps JUST making blatant accusations makes you feel better. Again, in your hands...

We had a pretty big quake (5.8) here in SoCal today so I'm calling it a night and heading home to see my family. I hope nobody was badly effected by the quake. I also hope we can start fresh here tomorrow and continue to move forward...

Old 07-29-2008, 10:51 PM

2005 E55 Black / Black Every available option except Sat radio
Bye.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
Originally Posted by raymond g-
...fortunately for me, MBWorld is just a pit stop and a forum which allows me
to swing by...
with more than 3k posts, it might be more than a pit stop. i'd hate to see how much time you spend on the forums you actually hang out at!
Old 07-29-2008, 11:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG E55, Stage 1, Strait Pipe from Primary Cats
Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Thanks for the support from all the members and the Admin for keeping the thread going in an attempt to clear the air on some of the issues.

Sorry to the Simon and Brad for making this public but perhaps this will ultimately lead to making moderation easier.

Thanks for not banning everyone who questioned the policy, and I truly appreciate the reaching out in the PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 165 Likes on 150 Posts
99 E320
Originally Posted by chiromikey
with more than 3k posts, it might be more than a pit stop. i'd hate to see how much time you spend on the forums you actually hang out at!
LOL...it sounds like a lot, but amoratized over 4 yrs so it's showing a mediocre
1.85 posts per day. yeah, normally, i hang out a little gurl chat rooms but all
the effort Chris Hanson has put into his show is messing things up for me.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by juicee63
Thanks for the support from all the members and the Admin for keeping the thread going in an attempt to clear the air on some of the issues.

Sorry to the Simon and Brad for making this public but perhaps this will ultimately lead to making moderation easier.

Thanks for not banning everyone who questioned the policy, and I truly appreciate the reaching out in the PM.
I hope you decide to stay, I take this as you are still in MBWorld?
Old 07-30-2008, 03:17 AM

a car that gets very poor gas mileage.
I can't even remember the number of times I've come across "FTW", or "FTMFW", or any of its variants in numerous posts. To be fair, I guess those are no longer acceptable too.

When I read Josh's first post I was like, that's !!!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 CLS63 030
Originally Posted by Centurion
I can't even remember the number of times I've come across "FTW", or "FTMFW", or any of its variants in numerous posts. To be fair, I guess those are no longer acceptable too.

Strange that a site that does not allow "implied " prophanity has symbols that state "WTF" guess that means way to feel. Sorry for carrying this on but the main issue remains. The humping smiley, the OMG splooge are much more offensive than anything I have ever posted using an asterik. TOU is based on community standard and many more people would take offense to the splooging smiley than "wow that car is F in fast"

Yep definately inconsistancy in the interpretation of the TOU.

I also found Brad's own posts where he spells out a prophane word with intentional mis-spelling using the #1 for an I. This line of questioning is not intended to disrespect the rules simple clarity is all I seek

Last edited by juicee63; 07-30-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
Originally Posted by Mr. Vanos
Jason- I really do appreciate you being around here since 2001. When I started MBWorld (even before it was called MBWorld) at home at 2 in the morning one night many years ago, my motivation was to create a place to bring people together and share information. Fast forward to several years and 90k members later. Things are not as simple anymore. Nothing to do with the fact that the site was sold. Things get complicated as sites like this grow. Having to manage 10's of thousands of members; everyone has their gripes and issues- be it big or small; trying to make as many of the masses happy as possible. Do you realize the amount of emails and inquiries we receive each day? Certainly doesn't make things any easier. Everyone has their own perception of reality. Unless you're in the trenches, you can only paint your own picture. So I will tell you that just because you've been a citizen for many years doesn't mean you know how the government "works". Moderators do what they can to keep things in order, but it's the members who can dictate which direction the site takes. And it frustrates and saddens me when I see threads like this. People complain that the site has taken a turn; I say the members have a BIG role in which direction that goes. Just look at this thread. Everyone has an agenda.

I have to take offense to the comments you made above that were uncalled for. One, because there is no truth or basis to them. Like many others, you make a lot of assumptions and you come up with your own conclusions- so state them as so rather than making blatant comments. The comments regarding "evosport" are a total cop out. I'm personally tired of hearing them. People love using that as a scapegoat. Second, the site was sold yes. We're not sitting on some island, sipping champagne and collecting royalties. We're still here. And of course we care. Some of us have been doing this for 8 years! We don't single people out unless there's a good reason for it. It's simple: someone was given a warning for not following the terms of use. That's it. Leave it at that. Don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be. That user can make a decision in which direction they wish to go. People ask to moderate evenly yet they want to be the exception. We have rules. We HAVE to have rules. Unfortunately, we don't have 90,000 mature adults on this site. In this world, laws are meant for those who couldn't otherwise maintain order which we know is not everyone...yet they must apply to everyone.

But some people have nothing better to do than perpetuate the issues the wrong way. The attitudes and sarcastic responses alone speak volumes. If people want to look at the big picture, I suggest they post something meaningful and positive. And I welcome people to make comments, suggestions and discuss issues like this. I'm in no way saying shut up and deal with it. But do so in a constructive manner. If you want to achieve your objective for the good of the community, the way to do it is in your hands. And that will make all the difference.

Simon,
You can take offense to my statements, probably because most are true and it pisses you off and no one has been able to say it as direct as me. I wont adress every statement above, but you guys want to talk about egos and assumptions, your complete tirade above is a direct reflection of just that. Asuuming Ive never been in the trenches and dont understand how it works, well I own a forum, im in the trenches daily. Ive said all i had to say, and this place has changed and you know it, or you wouldnt have the many big time posters complaining that it has. Ive done so much to support this site, more then you will ever know, but that will be just chocked up to I have a big ego in your and Brads eyes. Im taking a step back from this site for a bit, as its completely infected with Evosport ego and attitude at the moment. Good luck.....
Jason
Old 07-30-2008, 07:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

STS,FGT,12C,P85D,M4
yea, doesn't make much sense, you can't bleep your own expletives, as they do everywhere, network TV, etc...... but you can use them graphically as these do?

Originally Posted by Centurion

Old 07-30-2008, 09:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
It was kind of hard not posting the past day. However, it wasn't for the reasons that you might think. Reading the absolute hypocrisy and spin doctors at play made me a little angry that I imposed such constraints on myself.

Maybe my problem is that when I see injustice it makes me angry? Maybe my value system is all screwed up? Maybe I expect too much from an online community? Maybe I expect it to somewhat mirror our (US) system of government where we have such principles of due process.... equal protection under the law... and a certain ethical code (ok maybe a bit idealistic on part).

I am a Certified Public Accountant in three states. I have to live by a professional code of ethics to keep my license. Part that code requires me to be independent of a client in circumstances where a financial statement is being produced. If I have any direct or indirect financial interest in a client, I can not be a part of that engagement. In the legal profession, a judge can not ethically ajudicate in a case that he/she has any indirect or direct financial/personal relationship to the parties. Obviously, mbworld is not preparing a Financial statement nor is it a courtroom. However, ethics and independence should play a part in how the site is operated. It is unethical that someone should play judge, jury, and executioner when someone criticizes them directly. That scenario is perceived as a fascist dictatorship. I think the membership who are up in arms at this time want there to be more due process....more independence. If Evosport is criticized....wrongfully or in such a way that violates the TOU...then a moderator with no connection to Evosport should handle it....not Brad or Simon...if they do...it looks like and smells like payback. Independence has two components independence in fact and indepenence in appearance. The mere appearance that someone is not independent (even if in fact they are not) can impair independence. Perception is everything....

Tom

Last edited by TMC M5; 07-30-2008 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 W212 E350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by MB Fanatic
Why not dump the BS smiley then? We all know it means Bull ****, but that is still allowed? yet **** is not? (btw I typed the astericks). I feel as if though some of the sites original owners of this site are a bunch of two face talkers. Say one thing yet act another way. Sound like politicians.

Man, if you thought this was bad, you should see some of the double-standards in OT
Old 07-30-2008, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 744 Likes on 725 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
drama season 10...
Old 07-30-2008, 11:16 AM

'06 SL600
Not sure if this is the place, but I actually have a question about hooking up an IPod to my Sat radio and having the TPMS beam a signal to the Sat radio which would pass it on to the IPod and tell me my tire pressure is OK.

j/k.

Ok, now everyone back to the reason we all are at this site - to give me information while I offer nothing! (Thank you for that, BTW).
Old 07-30-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 E55 AMG
I have to say.. sometimes the drama on this site is just crazy. And there seems to be more and more of it as the months go on.

I can't remember how many times I've typed "!(**&!@(#&(!@*&#" into my posts to show frustration..

I really dont understand how typing 4 asterisks **** is a violation ??? What does that mean anyways? Someone reading it isnt going to take offence.. it's just a BLEEP for language that we dont want to type out.

I myself have gone back and forth a few times on whether or not I should post my content elsewhere. The purpose of a site like this is to share information and experiences.. Sometimes all the drama gets in the way and it really deters people from wanting to post.

One final comment with respect to the membership levels... My opinion is that it doesn't matter if you have 1,000 or 90,000 members.. it only matters how many of those members contribute MEANINGFUL content to the site. The only reason the membership levels get up that high is because of all the meaningful content. Once that stops, you will quickly see a decline in visits, posts and active members.

Note: These are just opinions and thoughts I had while I was reading through this thread.. I am not trying to poke at the mods, owners of the site or anyone else.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E63
Originally Posted by TMC M5
It was kind of hard not posting the past day. However, it wasn't for the reasons that you might think. Reading the absolute hypocrisy and spin doctors at play made me a little angry that I imposed such constraints on myself.

Maybe my problem is that when I see injustice it makes me angry? Maybe my value system is all screwed up? Maybe I expect too much from an online community? Maybe I expect it to somewhat mirror our (US) system of government where we have such principles of due process.... equal protection under the law... and a certain ethical code (ok maybe a bit idealistic on part).

I am a Certified Public Accountant in three states. I have to live by a professional code of ethics to keep my license. Part that code requires me to be independent of a client in circumstances where a financial statement is being produced. If I have any direct or indirect financial interest in a client, I can not be a part of that engagement. In the legal profession, a judge can not ethically ajudicate in a case that he/she has any indirect or direct financial/personal relationship to the parties. Obviously, mbworld is not preparing a Financial statement nor is it a courtroom. However, ethics and independence should play a part in how the site is operated. It is unethical that someone should play judge, jury, and executioner when someone criticizes them directly. That scenario is perceived as a fascist dictatorship. I think the membership who are up in arms at this time want there to be more due process....more independence. If Evosport is criticized....wrongfully or in such a way that violates the TOU...then a moderator with no connection to Evosport should handle it....not Brad or Simon...if they do...it looks like and smells like payback. Independence has two components independence in fact and indepenence in appearance. The mere appearance that someone is not independent (even if in fact they are not) can impair independence. Perception is everything....

Tom

Originally Posted by otoupalik
To be honest, I don't care. I don't think that way, and it does not impact my actions.
All cleared up?

Old 07-30-2008, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheels
The double standard these former MBWorld owners (Mr. Vanos, Brad, etc...) have and uphold bothers me a great deal. Like I said before, they are like politicians, two face talkers. They should uphold to their own standards they have set. I see many mods/admins violate these rules and make obscene comments, yet they aren't penalized. However, when the average poster like you or me make such a comment, we get an email or PM from our two-face friend, Brad.

Seems unjust.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

a C32 AMG & S-Works Tarmac
Originally Posted by ryan0
i meant it as "fast as H3LL".. but self-censored myself..

NO SOUP FOR YOU!
Yipes! You seem intent on digging that grave a little deeper.

From the TOU:

"Forums Acceptable Use Policy

You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that you will not post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or MBWorld.org.

You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that the posting of private communications (including, but not limited to e-mail, private messages, letters, faxes) without the consent of all parties to said communication is strictly prohibited."

Just let it go and get on with the intent of the forum, please. I'd hate to see more peeps banned.
Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by ScottW911
Yipes! You seem intent on digging that grave a little deeper.

You agree, through your use of the Discussion Forums, that the posting of private communications (including, but not limited to e-mail, private messages, letters, faxes) without the consent of all parties to said communication is strictly prohibited."

Just let it go and get on with the intent of the forum, please. I'd hate to see more peeps banned.

eh.. the "don't let the public see how MODs treat you" clause.

so be it.

facts are facts.

besides... it's not really a personal communication, as much as a form letter saying i was EVIL for masking out "h3ll".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Goodbye MBWORLD