Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SC Clutch Upgrade TSB- Update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SC Clutch Upgrade TSB- Update

FYI, saw a post earlier by Zigurat regarding his replacement of his noisy/jerky SC clutch and figured I would bring mine in to do the same. I use the same dealership and even switched to his advisor- mine was out on a knee surgery. (Good, no feelings hurt.) Anyway, I brought my S55 into WC MBZ on 8-25-08. The TSB regarding the clutch replacement is for real, BUT the noise and jerk of the SC engagement is not the factor that determines if they will replace the clutch. It's all about a "rattle" in the SC clutch that is heard when the car is at idol- huh??? Evidently, it is the springs that lose their integrity over time and create the "rattle" sound that MBZ MUST hear in order for a replacement to occur. So, no new clutch, unless I want to pay. Car is an 05 with 24,800 miles, so I asked the question of mileage having an impact upon the springs loosening, and they said higher mileage will have an impact. Guess I have to wait till there's "rattle" before they will replace.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Take it in and say you heard a rattle coming from the SC clutch at idle.

I'm serious. get it documented, even if they want to write it up and then say "not able to duplicate". Do it 3 times in a row and I guarantee a new clutch.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 753 Likes on 734 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
will go to dealer next month to address several things on my car and 07 SL55 s/c clutch is one of them...
Old 08-28-2008, 01:54 PM

Pretty sure thet the 07's already have the upgraded clutch.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by jangy
Take it in and say you heard a rattle coming from the SC clutch at idle.

I'm serious. get it documented, even if they want to write it up and then say "not able to duplicate". Do it 3 times in a row and I guarantee a new clutch.
Wish it was that easy. Dealer is so Fing paranoid about replacing parts that are not "broken" cause they have to send them back to MBZ and when inspected, they better be broken or the dealer gets reemed. That's the line they sell me. Bull**** customer service as far as I'm concerned. The upgraded clutch pak fix does FIX the problem (chirp and stumble), but they are hanging thier hat on the "spring rattle", before they will do it.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
Originally Posted by Sherlock
Wish it was that easy. Dealer is so Fing paranoid about replacing parts that are not "broken" cause they have to send them back to MBZ and when inspected, they better be broken or the dealer gets reemed. That's the line they sell me. Bull**** customer service as far as I'm concerned. The upgraded clutch pak fix does FIX the problem (chirp and stumble), but they are hanging thier hat on the "spring rattle", before they will do it.
Bro, I am saying just take it in and say there is a noise from the SC clutch and make them write that on the invoice (that customer states). Then, if they look at it and say nothing is wrong you have it documented. Do it 3 times and ask that the regional service representative from MBUSA come out to be the final judge. Say that you feel the dealership is not able to properly access the issue and that you prefer someone higher up. You will get a new clutchpack.
Old 08-29-2008, 04:38 PM

I apprecaite the insight how to get this done. I just don't see the dealer being our advocate on issure like this. Is this a costly repair? Gotta pretty much wear them down I guess. Have a good weekend!