W211 AMG Discuss the W211 AMG's such as the E55 and the E63
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASP Pulley + Code3 HE + Green Filters = -8mph 1/4 mile?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E55
Unhappy ASP Pulley + Code3 HE + Green Filters = -8mph 1/4 mile?

So I went to the drag strip last night (Great Lakes Dragaway) to test out my newly installed ASP Pulley, Code3 HE, and green filters. The pulley and HE were installed by CPT in Chicago (BTW: Al@CPT is a great guy...very helpful with all the questions I had).

Lets just say I was very disappointed on my trap speeds as they were way off what I ran when I was stock. I ran it 6 times down the track and was only able to muster 12.6's@109 or 110mph trap speeds. The car seemed to not pull hard in the top end at the end of the 1/4 mile. When I was bone stock I was running 12.5's@117 or 118mph.

My butt dyno never really noticed the car being much faster or slower after installing the ASP pulley. I can't even tell the car is 8mph slower. No check engine lights or warnings on the dash at all as I just got Service F done on my car after the pulley and HE install. Service F was just an oil and brake fluid change at the dealer. Last year I also had my water pump replaced under warranty by the dealer as my car went into limp mode a couple of times shutting down the s/c.

It was sad to see EVO's, LS1's, IS-F all running 111-114's and pulling on the beast on the track when I lined up against them.

When I got my pulley installed, Al @ CPT recommended me getting the LET tune. He said that he can have the local LET guy come to his shop and tune my car. I decided to hold off on the tune to see what the car would first run at the track, hoping to best my 118mph stock trap speed, and then get the LET tune and see what that would make my car run afterwards. I wanted a real world baseline before and after the ecu tune at the track.

Do you guys think that an ecu tune is a must after getting a pulley installed? I've seen posts of E55's dynoing more than stock with just a pulley and no tune.

Maybe my car is getting heat soaked? However, I do have the Code3 HE. Should I get the coolant flushed again?

Maybe the pulley belt is slipping? I used the belt that came with the ASP pulley kit provided by K1Motorsports. I think it was a Denso one.

Last edited by rberga1; 09-06-2008 at 11:28 AM.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:34 AM

05 e55
the tune and pulley compliment each other. I have let's tune with no pulley and i feel a difference especially top end. Jerry from LET tuned my car and said the tune alone is about 40 hp and 40 tq. with the pulley its about 60 hp and 100 tq maybe even more. Ask Marcus Frost because he has this set up.
Old 09-06-2008, 11:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
What were the temps at the track when you were running 117mph traps versus the temps last night?

Also, I would always do the ECU reset before running down the strip, or even after new mods.. Have you tried that?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:50 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 94 Likes on 77 Posts
haters crazy
You check the intercooler pump to make sure its working?
Old 09-06-2008, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 207 Likes on 157 Posts
'03 E55, Range Rover Sport Supercharged, Ducati 748R
a tune isn't worth much hp, but it will prevent the ecu from limiting the hp that the new pulley should deliver. time to find a tuner you trust and also make sure your i/c pump is working.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:40 PM

GT-R
I think a tune is absolutely necessary. If you search the forum, you will see that others have ran slower times than stock by just adding the pulley. You need both. No worries. After the tune, you will see the big gains you expected.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:56 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

W211 E55
When I dynoed with ASP pulley and LET HE only, I picked up over 50 ft/lbs and NO HORSEPOWER.

It took a tune to "unleash the hounds."

I would also look at the IC pump/cooling system. Sometimes air can get trapped after an install, and needs to be bled or worked out of the system.

IIRC, Mercedes uses a vacuum setup to achieve an air-free circuit.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
rberga1:

Two possibilities:

1. Air bubble in the IC cooling system. It needs to be bled very thorough.

2. You have software from 2006 air pump recall. The TQ limiting in it tries to keep you at stock E55 HP levels.

Here is a link to more info:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=vr550
Old 09-06-2008, 05:36 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Mr. AMG 20
the tune and pulley compliment each other. I have let's tune with no pulley and i feel a difference especially top end. Jerry from LET tuned my car and said the tune alone is about 40 hp and 40 tq. with the pulley its about 60 hp and 100 tq maybe even more. Ask Marcus Frost because he has this set up.
Interesting numbers there Mr.AMG20, looks like I'll have to get a tune.
Originally Posted by bobgodd
What were the temps at the track when you were running 117mph traps versus the temps last night?
Also, I would always do the ECU reset before running down the strip, or even after new mods.. Have you tried that?
When I ran 118's it was high 40's and last night it was high 50's. I also did the tranny ecu reset at the track.
Originally Posted by blackbenzz
You check the intercooler pump to make sure its working?
I didn't, but I assumed it was working or the s/c would have been really off and plus I just got it replaced last year.
Originally Posted by chiromikey
a tune isn't worth much hp, but it will prevent the ecu from limiting the hp that the new pulley should deliver. time to find a tuner you trust and also make sure your i/c pump is working.
Yeah looks like I may be going to have CPT and LET do the tune for me as I've heard good things about LET and they are local.
Originally Posted by NXtremeJeep
I think a tune is absolutely necessary. If you search the forum, you will see that others have ran slower times than stock by just adding the pulley. You need both. No worries. After the tune, you will see the big gains you expected.
I hope so!
Originally Posted by ChicagoX
When I dynoed with ASP pulley and LET HE only, I picked up over 50 ft/lbs and NO HORSEPOWER.
It took a tune to "unleash the hounds."
I would also look at the IC pump/cooling system. Sometimes air can get trapped after an install, and needs to be bled or worked out of the system.
IIRC, Mercedes uses a vacuum setup to achieve an air-free circuit.
Looks like I'll also have CPT re-bleed the system while i get the tune.

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
rberga1:

Two possibilities:

1. Air bubble in the IC cooling system. It needs to be bled very thorough.

2. You have software from 2006 air pump recall. The TQ limiting in it tries to keep you at stock E55 HP levels.

Here is a link to more info:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ighlight=vr550
Thanks Vadim! It makes sense now.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Real Cars
Originally Posted by rberga1
Interesting numbers there Mr.AMG20, looks like I'll have to get a tune.

When I ran 118's it was high 40's and last night it was high 50's. I also did the tranny ecu reset at the track.

I didn't, but I assumed it was working or the s/c would have been really off and plus I just got it replaced last year.

Yeah looks like I may be going to have CPT and LET do the tune for me as I've heard good things about LET and they are local.

I hope so!

Looks like I'll also have CPT re-bleed the system while i get the tune.

Thanks Vadim! It makes sense now.
rberga,

I think you are an old Supra guy, right?

Drop me a PM, would be more than willing to help you out. I've documented this process and essentially, you are running into torque limitating with the stock ECU. You make a bit more torque but once the ECU sees it, it pulls everything back like crazy. The end result is possibly a loss in performance, simply because the ECU will not allow the car to take advantage of the extra power because of the safety mechanisms it has built into it.

Again, PM/email if you need anymore help, always willing to help a local guy out. I also exclusively use CPT for all my work.

-m
Old 09-06-2008, 09:48 PM

W211 E55
I'd put my money on the tune. LET does great work and they are very reasonable. I drove my car all the way from NY to have Al at CPT install my ASP, then had LET custom dyno tune my car, then went to the track, all in 3 days.

My results have been nothing less than stellar in less than ideal conditions at several different tracks (multiple 11 second passes in the high one teens) since the install and the tune.

Good luck in whatever you decide.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:00 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
[QUOTE=tracshun;3037528] I drove my car all the way from NY to have Al at CPT install my ASP, then had LET custom dyno tune my car, then went to the track, all in 3 days.

Does LET have a dyno and shop in Chicago? Where was the dyno tune performed at or was it a CPT?

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 09-06-2008, 11:00 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
rberga,

I think you are an old Supra guy, right?

Drop me a PM, would be more than willing to help you out. I've documented this process and essentially, you are running into torque limitating with the stock ECU. You make a bit more torque but once the ECU sees it, it pulls everything back like crazy. The end result is possibly a loss in performance, simply because the ECU will not allow the car to take advantage of the extra power because of the safety mechanisms it has built into it.

Again, PM/email if you need anymore help, always willing to help a local guy out. I also exclusively use CPT for all my work.

-m
Hey Marcus, yeah I'm an old Supra guy back in '97 when we just had the mkiv mailing list (no supraforums at the time). I think you were getting into the supra scene when I was on my way out. Those were the good 'ole days.

PM sent.
Old 09-07-2008, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
rbegra1, you definitely need an ECU tune. There were a few members who had a similar situation as yours where they added a pulley without a tune and their cars showed decrease in hp or no gains at all, but once they got an ECU tune, things changed quickly
Old 09-07-2008, 10:02 AM

E55
rberga1,

I, too, am a newbie to this site and, for the record, this is my first post (so I apologize if I inadvertently break any forum rules or rules of etiquette). Unfortunately, I am experiencing the same problem as you. I took my 2004 E55 to the track in upstate New York bone stock and was running 12.5s but with only 110 trap speeds. My car only has 25k miles on it, but I was told my IC pump was probably going bad. This was confirmed when I started experiencing supercharger shutdown. I decided to have an ASP pulley, LET HE and Johnson IC pump installed last week. When I picked up my car, it didn't feel any stronger and on my very first highway pull my supercharger shutdown. I was told my system was burped but I don't know if that equates to a full bleeding of the system. Over the last week, my car has felt stronger when cold, but after a few pulls it weakens again. I don't know what my IATs are, but I have a feeling that my problem is related to both heat and the lack of a custom tune. My water temp gauge both before and after the mods seems to hover around 100. I will probably have the system bled, the wiring checked on my IC pump and an LET custom tune performed. Hopefully, this will solve my very frustrating problem. Although misery often loves company, I wouldn't wish this on anyone. Good luck with your situation and please let me know if you solve your dilemma. I'll keep you posted with mine. BTW, I have spoken with Al and Paul at CPT and the guys at LET and I have found them all to be first rate.
Old 09-07-2008, 10:50 AM

K3 05 E55 sold, 09 GL550
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
rbegra1, you definitely need an ECU tune. There were a few members who had a similar situation as yours where they added a pulley without a tune and their cars showed decrease in hp or no gains at all, but once they got an ECU tune, things changed quickly
+2
Old 09-07-2008, 10:57 AM

W211 E55
...yeah I'm an old Supra guy back in '97 when we just had the mkiv mailing list (no supraforums at the time)...Those were the good 'ole days.
Former mkiv owner here too.

There seems to be a few in this thread. Interesting how people flock to similar cars and similar transitions.

I had a 93.5 Premiere Edition Hardtop, black on black with cloth interior (an option) - very rare. Bought it stock and did the basic BPU upgrades. Awesome car, but the E stands alone IMO and would absolutely kill my Supra off the line.

Good luck with your tune.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:07 AM

W211 E55
[QUOTE=Exotic-metal55;3037537]
Originally Posted by tracshun
Does LET have a dyno and shop in Chicago? Where was the dyno tune performed at or was it a CPT?
LET and CPT have everything you need in the Chicago area. They work with each other to meet the customer's needs. In my case, they went over and above what I expected (which was a lot). Feel free to contact them directly with any needs you may have.

The day that I dynoed, CPT's dyno (often used by LET) was unavailable, so LET scheduled another dyno session for me at another location in the area. Can't remember the name right now, but everything went as smooth as silk and the next day we had a track event, sponsored by LET and CPT (with great prizes) down at Route 66 in Indiana. Weather (ie DA) conditions were not great, but my car still pulled an 11.807 at 116.XX. Since then (in still less than ideal conditions) my car has run 11.679 at 117.84 and a bunch of 11.7s. FYI, before the install and tune, my car ran 12.7s at 107-108 bone stock with a failing IC pump and 60k miles.

Hope this helps.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:13 AM

W211 E55
Originally Posted by AMGONER
I, too, am a newbie to this site and, for the record, this is my first post
Welcome! Hang in there with your issue.

My prediction is by the end of this post both you and rberga1 will have fire breathing beasts that are running amazing times at the track. The tune will likely solve your problems, and if not, I'm sure the tuner(s) will be able to quickly surmise the source of the problem(s) (ie IC pump wiring, air bubbles in the system, etc.) Then it will be time to go hunt for some real prey!
Old 09-07-2008, 01:55 PM

2005 E55
Originally Posted by AMGONER
rberga1,

I, too, am a newbie to this site and, for the record, this is my first post... Good luck with your situation and please let me know if you solve your dilemma. I'll keep you posted with mine.
I'll keep you posted also.
Originally Posted by tracshun
Former mkiv owner here too.

There seems to be a few in this thread. Interesting how people flock to similar cars and similar transitions.

I had a 93.5 Premiere Edition Hardtop, black on black with cloth interior (an option) - very rare. Bought it stock and did the basic BPU upgrades. Awesome car, but the E stands alone IMO and would absolutely kill my Supra off the line.

Good luck with your tune.
I had a black '97 "Limited Edition 15th Anniversary". I too did the BPU upgrades and ran a best of 12.2@119. What was interesting on that run was that at the 1/8 mile, my trap was 93mph while on the 118mph run with the E55, it was 90mph...seems then that the E55 pulls harder at the top end.
Old 09-07-2008, 02:13 PM

maybe your car's just slow
Old 09-07-2008, 05:10 PM

E55
I'll keep you posted also.

I had a black '97 "Limited Edition 15th Anniversary". I too did the BPU upgrades and ran a best of 12.2@119. What was interesting on that run was that at the 1/8 mile, my trap was 93mph while on the 118mph run with the E55, it was 90mph...seems then that the E55 pulls harder at the top end.
I appreciate any information you can provide regarding your situation and eventual recovery. On another note, I had two MKIV twin turbo Supras and loved them dearly. Family life dictated the purchase of a smart, safe and practical "family car" (my E55). At least that's what I tell my wife. The fact that my E55 can hang with and will eventually beat my BPU Supra is something I'll just keep to myself. Now get your tune, make sure your IATs are decent and start having some fun.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if there is a long line I would turn the car off\on or just push it until you are at the green light, the v8, supercharger and intercooler is packaged together so tight, im suprised the supercharger doesnt glow orange like a turbocharger!

or you can hardwire your radiator fans to run full blast while waiting in line

get an ECU before any mods!!!! and then maybe alcohol injection for the supercharger , that will really cool temps, best part is the e55 has no MAF so you can totally do it..

google alcohol injection supercharger and read up on it, they have cheap kits on Ebay
Old 09-08-2008, 07:57 AM

E55
I would kill for a 60 degree drop in temps right now. It was a balmy 109 here yesterday.

Bleeding is the key... since you are going back have them split the I/C from the engine coolant system. You will see a further drop in IAT by several degrees in most situations.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
buy an OBD2 software.. and monitor your engine timing... and IAT temps.

I can tell you that my car pulls timing like crazy, since I don't have ECU modified.

I have been data logging for about 4 weeks..

and I can tell you that an air bubble on the system will spike your IAT temps like crazy.

turn on your A/C heater and let the car run on for a few minutes.. this should help take some of the air out. Repeat a few times..every few days.

I can tell you that ASP and NO ecu is not a good combo.. been running like that for over 1 year. But I hardly push my car over 4k rpms and the extra 40RWHP are hardly missed.

But, I should have a tune soon.. just waiting on my tuner to be ready.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ASP Pulley + Code3 HE + Green Filters = -8mph 1/4 mile?