How dependable are E55's? contemplating future purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:44 PM

Location: Gainesville, FL,,, Home of the National Champion Gators
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 GTP, modded, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Touring, wifes
How dependable are E55's? contemplating future purchase

I eventually want to look for a used 2003-04 E55. I will likely be spending all I can on car payments and will not have a warranty due to miles.

How are these cars for repairs and dependability? Also, I do all or most of my own work currently on my vehicles. Is this still an option with these cars?

First post, cut me some slack...Thanks, Dean
Old 09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Real Cars
Dean,

The cost of maintaining these cars does not depreciate with their used prices. This is a $90k car new, and maintaining it reflects it's original price, not it's current market value. You can do some of your own work, but other simple things like bleeding the brakes is not possible without specific computer equipment (brakes are electronically controlled). Some stuff is easy, other stuff is not.

It does not sound like this is the right car for you, unfortunately.

-m
Old 09-11-2008, 03:18 PM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by Marcus Frost
Dean,

The cost of maintaining these cars does not depreciate with their used prices. This is a $90k car new, and maintaining it reflects it's original price, not it's current market value. You can do some of your own work, but other simple things like bleeding the brakes is not possible without specific computer equipment (brakes are electronically controlled). Some stuff is easy, other stuff is not.

It does not sound like this is the right car for you, unfortunately.

-m
+1 here....this is not a car you should own if you are financially pushed just to make payments.

90's era Acura NSX's are in a similar price range and, with a couple of minor exceptions, are highly reliable. Not as quick but still pose well and are a hoot to drive. Might be something for you to look into. Good luck in your search!
Old 09-11-2008, 03:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 SL550, 2007 CLS63, 2004 X5
+2

I had a 2004 E55 before trading it in. While is was great mechanically, I had nothing but problems electronically, especially with the command. If I did not have a warranty, I can't imagine how much $ my repairs would have added up to.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:41 PM

Well then, maybe a better plan is to keep driving what I have and plan the FFR Cobra build. I was looking to have just one car that does it all but you all make good points. Thanks for your honesty.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:24 AM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
Originally Posted by expygator
Well then, maybe a better plan is to keep driving what I have and plan the FFR Cobra build. I was looking to have just one car that does it all but you all make good points. Thanks for your honesty.
The FFR Cobra is a well engineered kit, and there is an awesome user community at www.ffcobra.com.... speaking as builder/owner of FFR Mk.1 427sc #3440. You'll have a great time building and driving it.

Having said that, the Cobra is a great toy and a blast to drive, but don't convince yourself that it'll be a useable daily driver. Fun for weekend blasts and the occasional weekend jaunt, but it is not something you will want to replace a Honda with.

Feel free to PM or Email me if I can help you with any FFR info...
Attached Thumbnails How dependable are E55's?  contemplating future purchase-fasnake-2-.jpg   How dependable are E55's?  contemplating future purchase-kit-car-builder-article-page-1-3.jpg   How dependable are E55's?  contemplating future purchase-kit-car-builder-article-page-2-3.jpg   How dependable are E55's?  contemplating future purchase-kit-car-builder-article-page-3-3.jpg   How dependable are E55's?  contemplating future purchase-kit-car-builder-october-2003-cover-page.jpg  

Last edited by dbarrym; 09-12-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Formula Mazda, Beast Junior...400HP 135i
They are honestly not that bad and the few things you require STAR for like bleeding brakes are not the expensive ($140). Front rotors (OEM) and pads for all 4 corners are $900 (cheap for brakes on a performance car). Oil changes are easy to do, belts are cheap, hoses are cheap. No electrical problems for me but some minor issues just like any other car.

I will agree that many of the more complex gadgets will fail but the basic car and major systems are VERY solid which is one reason they mod up so well and take a beating. This is not a car for someone that can't afford the occasional repair bill that on the same not I could say that NO German car is. FOr comparison, I have seen friends with out of warranty Audis spend far more than out of warranted Benzs.

Great cars, mind boggling deals at the moment...find a nice one and don't look back!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:01 PM

E55 dependable??

Blacksport350:

Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen some really good deals for not much more than I could get a Caddy CTS-V, my second choice. Do you have any advice or know where I can research warranties? I've decided that these cars are really quick...easily quicker than anything that I have ever owned. So with that in mind ( low 12's stock) and the fact that the mods are so expensive, maybe I just get one and purchase a warranty. I have the ability to pick one up at the auction..not sure how you feel about that either. But they are clean, straight and have car fax. Where should I look for warranties and what should I expect to pay? BTW, I'm not going out tomorrow to get one. I don't need a car, I just want this one. I drive 5 miles each way to work. I don't even get to 50 mph. I don't need this car. Yes I do. What model and mileage should I stay away from?

Thanks for any additional imput from anyone.

Dean
Old 06-09-2009, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts
2004 E55
I agree with Blacksport350. Get it and don't look back. If something comes up, there are ways to address it, especially if you can do work yourself. If you can make the payments, get the car. Otherwise you might miss out on a car you love.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
04 E55 AMG, 03 350z Track Built/Single Turbo
I think the people that like to overstate repair prices are used to making dealer service calls and/or don't have the means to fix it themselves. I personally don't ever plan on taking my car in to a dealer for anything, as I have the means to do service myself or have a local shop that can do the more complex work if required.

I'm still trying to figure out where these insane costs come into play outside of electrical issues (more common) or air ride issues (not terribly common).

Just keep up on your service and you should be ok.
Old 06-10-2009, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by expygator
Blacksport350:

Thanks for the encouragement. I've seen some really good deals for not much more than I could get a Caddy CTS-V, my second choice. Do you have any advice or know where I can research warranties? I've decided that these cars are really quick...easily quicker than anything that I have ever owned. So with that in mind ( low 12's stock) and the fact that the mods are so expensive, maybe I just get one and purchase a warranty. I have the ability to pick one up at the auction..not sure how you feel about that either. But they are clean, straight and have car fax. Where should I look for warranties and what should I expect to pay? BTW, I'm not going out tomorrow to get one. I don't need a car, I just want this one. I drive 5 miles each way to work. I don't even get to 50 mph. I don't need this car. Yes I do. What model and mileage should I stay away from?

Thanks for any additional imput from anyone.

Dean
I believe you'll want anything 2004+..stay away from the '03's as I believe they had multiple issues being the first year production. Remember mileage is NOT a factor. Do a thorough investigation. Do you have anyone that can borrow you a paint thickness tool ? ( forgot name ) that way you can check the panels for original paint and not a fixed panel. Remember that just because a carfax is clean doesnt mean the car is. G'luck !